2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 15:29
I expect the car to be strong here. Let's see what happens over night.
I said let's see what happens overnight. Balance improvement can give a considerable laptime improvement. This car was very good at the beginning of the season in the high speed corners at circuits like Australia, Silverstone, and Barcelona.

mkay
mkay

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 15:40
AR3-GP wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 15:29
I expect the car to be strong here. Let's see what happens over night.
I said let's see what happens overnight. Balance improvement can give a considerable laptime improvement. This car was very good at the beginning of the season in the high speed corners at circuits like Australia, Silverstone, and Barcelona.
IIRC Mercedes was quick in the mid/slow corners at SIlverstone (thanks to that new front wing upgrade). Otherwise they were a distant 3rd behind RB and McLaren through the fast stuff.

Suzuka was always going to be a difficult one for them as they would have been 3rd fastest at best. But now they're having balance/setup issues and facing a resurgent Ferrari.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

mkay wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 17:17
AR3-GP wrote:
IIRC Mercedes was quick in the mid/slow corners at SIlverstone (thanks to that new front wing upgrade). Otherwise they were a distant 3rd behind RB and McLaren through the fast stuff.

Suzuka was always going to be a difficult one for them as they would have been 3rd fastest at best. But now they're having balance/setup issues and facing a resurgent Ferrari.
True but at that point, they were at least stronger than Ferrari and Aston Martin.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

mkay wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

True. They also tend to be bang average in anything less than full downforce configuration. Struggling at Suzuka was expected.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Hammerfist wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 17:36
mkay wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

True. They also tend to be bang average in anything less than full downforce configuration. Struggling at Suzuka was expected.
Maybe they should use the high downforce wing again like last year? It's expected to be a dry race so they will have the benefit of DRS, unlike last year's race.

Cs98
Cs98

Hammerfist wrote:
Mark my words when Hamilton leaves the garage tomorrow the big wing will be on his car.

dialtone
dialtone

Cs98 wrote:
Hammerfist wrote:
Mark my words when Hamilton leaves the garage tomorrow the big wing will be on his car.
Hamilton in particular had funky laps in fp2. His car was snapping mid corner in spoon and degner. Just lots of instability mid corner.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 18:01
Cs98 wrote:
Hammerfist wrote:
Hamilton in particular had funky laps in fp2. His car was snapping mid corner in spoon and degner. Just lots of instability mid corner.
Could we be seeing the impact of the TD at a proper f1 circuit?

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 17:52
Hammerfist wrote:
mkay wrote:

Maybe they should use the high downforce wing again like last year? It's expected to be a dry race so they will have the benefit of DRS, unlike last year's race.
They will be so slow in s3 if they do that. High downforce doesn’t really work at Suzuka.

ringo

randolf wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 11:41
IIRC the recent major upgrade was bolted in the car, more specifically to help Lewis as Shovlin claimed isn't it? Why is he still struggling?
I do not understand this statement. It doesn't have any bearing on anything as it too simple and general.
For Sure!!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

randolf wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 11:41
IIRC the recent major upgrade was bolted in the car, more specifically to help Lewis as Shovlin claimed isn't it? Why is he still struggling?
Maybe the parts they put on are not working as expected?

Luscion
Luscion

I don't know how much stock you guys put into Formula data analysis posts on Twitter but according to his data, Merc is fourth fastest at the minimum speed corner (RB and Alfa in between) 3kmh off Ferrari. Longest time at full throttle with RB second, which he attributes to either a lower engine mode or excellent traction and 3kmh off RB on the straights. Seems they lose all their time in the first sector due to the rear end stepping out

https://x.com/FDataAnalysis?t=vB3veO7cS ... rcd6w&s=09

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

"Decent points" :lol:

dans79

Luscion wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 19:26
I don't know how much stock you guys put into Formula data analysis posts on Twitter but according to his data, Merc is fourth fastest at the minimum speed corner (RB and Alfa in between) 3kmh off Ferrari. Longest time at full throttle with RB second, which he attributes to either a lower engine mode or excellent traction and 3kmh off RB on the straights. Seems they lose all their time in the first sector due to the rear end stepping out

Having watched Lewis's onboard all through FP2, I'd say that's pretty much right. The car was horrendous through the Esses.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

dans79 wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 20:12
Luscion wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 19:26

Having watched Lewis's onboard all through FP2, I'd say that's pretty much right. The car was horrendous through the Esses.
I don't think it was that bad honestly. There seems to be understeer and a lack of grip. Only the turn before Degna seems problematic with oversteer and both drivers are fighting to stay on the track there. Otherwise I don't see any bad traits.