2024 Pre-Season Testing - Bahrain International Circuit, Feb 21 - 23

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Luscion
Luscion

Re: 2024 Pre-Season Testing - Bahrain International Circuit, Feb 21 - 23

Here's Allison's interview, he seems very pleased with the car, couldnt stop smiling the entire interview. the second part (video on the right) is where he addresses the running order, saying he thinks theyre a tiny bit ahead of Ferrari in race pace but a bit behind in single lap pace

Vanja #66

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

dialtone
dialtone

MtthsMlw wrote:Was this shared already? Official data from F1

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... x03NR.html
0.2s off RBR race pace? What is happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

The gaps to RB there are pretty tight. If DRS opens from the second lap, these races are going to be much more interesting than expected.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 23 Feb 2024, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
A lion must kill its prey.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

I genuinely have no idea how this 'data' was formulated at all, cuz it doesn't really correlate with anything we've seen from the timings at all.

f1jcw
f1jcw

0.20/2 Race pace between and Mercedes/Ferrari and Redbull
Be a dream come through, that is within competing distance.
But I think Formula 1 is trying to retain interest and doing quite a bit of massaging.

Luscion
Luscion

i think Merc are second in race pace but 0.20 away from RB seems too close, guess we'll see next week

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

F1 official pace predictions are meme levels of accuracy, always have been.

f1jcw
f1jcw

AR3-GP wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 21:58
The gaps to RB there are pretty tight. If DRS opens from the second lap, these races are going to be much more interesting than expected.
If those gaps were even slightest true and what you say about DRS, wouldn't 1 car pass on 1 lap and the next lap be overtaken again and so on, I also think that contact per race would increase.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

f1jcw wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 22:02
AR3-GP wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 21:58
If those gaps were even slightest true and what you say about DRS, wouldn't 1 car pass on 1 lap and the next lap be overtaken again and so on, I also think that contact per race would increase.
Maybe, but the main thing is a leader won't be able to pull away if trailing car has DRS. 1 lap is not enough time to establish a 1 second gap, especially not if the pace difference between two cars is only 2-4 tenths.

Think about places like Bahrain, Austria, Vegas, Jeddah with multiple large DRS zones. I don't expect field spread in the first stint.

f1jcw
f1jcw

It might be in the 1st lap we see the true pace of the redbull as it speeds off to get out of the 1 second range.

Cs98
Cs98

dialtone wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 21:21
Cs98 wrote:
morefirejules08 wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 20:50

What did Allison say?
That they were slightly ahead of Ferrari on race pace.
So basically down to trusting James Allison. The one race sim was very mid. Davidson kept talking about a race sim in the morning for Mercs from today and when I looked at the timing I didn’t see any race sim from Mercs, the longest stint from Russell is 10 laps today. Tire deg from Ferrari has been great in this test. If Ferrari came out and said “we’re ahead” they would be laughed at.
Yes? Is he an untrustworthy person? Would he lie to hype up expectation only to disappoint all his fans in a week? If he said it I think he believes it. Doesn't mean it's 100%, but it's certainly more credible than hobby analysis on here.

dialtone
dialtone

Cs98 wrote:
dialtone wrote:
Cs98 wrote: That they were slightly ahead of Ferrari on race pace.
So basically down to trusting James Allison. The one race sim was very mid. Davidson kept talking about a race sim in the morning for Mercs from today and when I looked at the timing I didn’t see any race sim from Mercs, the longest stint from Russell is 10 laps today. Tire deg from Ferrari has been great in this test. If Ferrari came out and said “we’re ahead” they would be laughed at.
Yes? Is he an untrustworthy person? Would he lie to hype up expectation only to disappoint all his fans in a week? If he said it I think he believes it. Doesn't mean it's 100%, but it's certainly more credible than hobby analysis on here.
As I said before, I would love to know where he is getting that from because the declaration reported from his team and what Ferrari thinks are off of one another, and they can’t both be right.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 22:13
Cs98 wrote:
dialtone wrote:

As I said before, I would love to know where he is getting that from because the declaration reported from his team and what Ferrari thinks are off of one another, and they can’t both be right.
The 1 second comment wasn't from Allison and it was from day 1 of testing. It's obsolete information with 2 more days of running.

Cs98
Cs98

dialtone wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 22:13
Cs98 wrote:
dialtone wrote:

Ferrari did full race sims on both day 2 and 3, which eliminates the fuel variable. By virtue of that Allison probably has a decent idea where Ferrari stands on race pace, and he obviously knows all the variables in Merc's running.