2024 Pre-Season Testing - Bahrain International Circuit, Feb 21 - 23

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
chrisc90

Re: 2024 Pre-Season Testing - Bahrain International Circuit, Feb 21 - 23

They forgot to add the extra 1 second to that!

I fixed it for them.

/joke post/image
Last edited by chrisc90 on 23 Feb 2024, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.

nico5

dren wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 21:52
dialtone wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 21:44
AR3-GP wrote:
James Allison isn't using a random twitter account to figure out the pecking order. Where it comes from will be his own team's data engineers. We don't have access to this but you can assume it's a more thorough analysis.

With that said, one team can't know the real performance level of another team without knowing all the variables so I'd give a 1-2 tenths margin of error to anyone claiming exact gaps.
They did say they were 1s behind RBR. Ferrari thinks they are 0.3s behind RBR which seems reasonable actually and would give a 1s YoY improvement to RBR. One of the 2 isn’t right.
Probably the wrong one isn't right.
I bet on male-Liz Truss being the wrong one.

dialtone
dialtone

Cs98 wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 22:17
dialtone wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 22:13
Cs98 wrote: Yes? Is he an untrustworthy person? Would he lie to hype up expectation only to disappoint all his fans in a week? If he said it I think he believes it. Doesn't mean it's 100%, but it's certainly more credible than hobby analysis on here.
As I said before, I would love to know where he is getting that from because the declaration reported from his team and what Ferrari thinks are off of one another, and they can’t both be right.
Ferrari did full race sims on both day 2 and 3, which eliminates the fuel variable. By virtue of that Allison probably has a decent idea where Ferrari stands on race pace, and he obviously knows all the variables in Merc's running.
It doesn't eliminate the asphalt and weather condition, also doesn't remove setup condition and anyway doesn't remove how hard drivers were pushing the car. LEC and SAI had huge differences in their race sims with just setup changes.

Matt2725
Matt2725

I think Red Bull will be much more than 2 tenths up on the next fastest car (well, Max will be).
But I wouldn't be surprised, at least in terms of race pace, for Merc to be right there with Ferrari.

If there is any sort of truth in it being closer than we thought, then it's Checo I fear for.

dialtone wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 22:43
It doesn't eliminate the asphalt and weather condition, also doesn't remove setup condition and anyway doesn't remove how hard drivers were pushing the car. LEC and SAI had huge differences in their race sims with just setup changes.
It doesn't, but I would argue Allison has better tools at his disposal to make those judgements than any of us.

Cs98
Cs98

dialtone wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 22:43
Cs98 wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 22:17
dialtone wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 22:13

As I said before, I would love to know where he is getting that from because the declaration reported from his team and what Ferrari thinks are off of one another, and they can’t both be right.
Ferrari did full race sims on both day 2 and 3, which eliminates the fuel variable. By virtue of that Allison probably has a decent idea where Ferrari stands on race pace, and he obviously knows all the variables in Merc's running.
Asphalt and weather conditions would obviously be accounted for by Merc. But look, no one is saying it's a 100% accurate estimate, but I believe Allison is in a much better position to give an estimate given how little info Merc gave away with their run plan (no race sim).

LostInTranslation
LostInTranslation

I believe that yesterday's confrontation in the GP simulation between Sainz and Perez was humiliating for RBR.

Today they (RBR) didn't feel like they were making the same bad impression.

Leclerc set off with a full tank of petrol to cover the same distance as a race.

Verstappen first stint was really impressive. Each of us expected a pit stop from him to change tires and set off again.

None of this. The car was pushed into the garage, the driver got out of the car, while Leclerc clocked up the kilometers.

We were ready for a confrontation or clash between primadonnas.

Houston, they have some problem.

We only have to wait just for a week.

PS: Allison who?

Sieper

f1jcw wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 22:05
It might be in the 1st lap we see the true pace of the redbull as it speeds off to get out of the 1 second range.
That has to do with how easy you get heat into the tires. The mean reason for DAS. Ferrari had an advantage there last year.

ali623
ali623

For reference, after testing last year -2023 - they predicted (race pace),

The reality was that Ferrari/Mercedes were almost a second off Max in the race. I would take that with some quite large grains of salt.

Rikhart
Rikhart

ali623 wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 23:50

https://media.formula1.com/image/upload ... /image.jpg

The reality was that Ferrari/Mercedes were almost a second off Max in the race. I would take that with some quite large grains of salt.
And Aston were second best.

Xyz22
Xyz22

ali623 wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 23:50

https://media.formula1.com/image/upload ... /image.jpg

Lmao

maxxer
maxxer

Oh my the sky people finally shut up... what a rest. 3 days 8 hours a day just talking bullshit they even have multiple teams now for gods sake how many time can you say "we dont know the fuel load" and then go of about some amateur career in gp2.
Anyways Adrian Newey is not a God. Did he deliver another mp4-18 here. Lots more silly cooling inlets on the rb20 and it looks draggy.

maxxer
maxxer

My best moment of testing : "RB those initials stand for nothing" Rachel Brooks:"Those are my initials too"

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

maxxer wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 01:20
Oh my the sky people finally shut up... what a rest. 3 days 8 hours a day just talking bullshit they even have multiple teams now for gods sake how many time can you say "we dont know the fuel load" and then go of about some amateur career in gp2.
Anyways Adrian Newey is not a God. Did he deliver another mp4-18 here. Lots more silly cooling inlets on the rb20 and it looks draggy.
Are you sure he isn't God ? Peter Windsor had a stream yesterday and he said that Ferrari or Mercedes should have offered Newey a billion dollars to come to their teams. He wasn't exaggerating. He meant a billion dollars.

I would have thought other teams could figure out what they are doing on the RB19, without offering Newey a billion dollars. But they haven't yet.

mendis
mendis

Sieper wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 23:03
f1jcw wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 22:05
It might be in the 1st lap we see the true pace of the redbull as it speeds off to get out of the 1 second range.
That has to do with how easy you get heat into the tires. The mean reason for DAS. Ferrari had an advantage there last year.
Max has learnt not to destroy the tyres in the first couple of laps as these Pirellis require them to be brought up gently in the first couple of laps to have a good long life. He tries to just stay ahead in the first few laps and then builds a gap. He does that for every stint, unless he requires a really hot outlap to cover someone.

bagajohny
bagajohny

maxxer wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 01:26
My best moment of testing : "RB those initials stand for nothing" Rachel Brooks:"Those are my initials too"
No they stand for Racing Bananas :lol: