Red Bull RB20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
venkyhere
venkyhere

Re: Red Bull RB20

viewtopic.php?p=1190551#p1190551 posted in another thread, but relevant for this thread as well.

Unzinn

Mmgnt wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 16:35
Looking at this picture, the sideways 'S' appears to hug the inside of the cannon bodywork, which means it would block all airflow front of it.

So does this mean that this is a duct exit? Which entrance is it tied to? Apologies if this has been discussed already.

https://i.imgur.com/yLEbPap.jpeg
I haven't seen anyone discuss this spesifically.
There seems to be some ducting going down to the back of the shroud on the radiator/inter-cooler, so could something like this be feeding it? Could be the vertical inlet connects to it as well but I'm not sure about the legality boxes in that case.
Sorry for the horrible drawing, i hope the idea comes across.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

With the Formula 1 paddock being a hot-bed of research, teams often figure out their rivals’ innovations in time, but the period of new cars being released brings about uncertainty while new designs are pored over.

“Well, I would deeply love to be invited into the Red Bull garage and to take the engine cover off and delve around under those sort of ‘snorkelly’ things,” Allison told Sky Sports F1’s Ted Kravitz when asked if any features from the paddock have surprised him this season.

“There’s definitely a different approach being taken there because what glimpses you see of their cooling system, it’s definitely not light and svelte.

“So they’re doing that for a reason, and I’d love to know what that reason is, but we haven’t figured it out yet.”
https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes- ... 20-feature

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Is it a RB if it doesn't have 10 kicks on it...

Venturiation
Venturiation

AR3-GP wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 20:47
With the Formula 1 paddock being a hot-bed of research, teams often figure out their rivals’ innovations in time, but the period of new cars being released brings about uncertainty while new designs are pored over.

“Well, I would deeply love to be invited into the Red Bull garage and to take the engine cover off and delve around under those sort of ‘snorkelly’ things,” Allison told Sky Sports F1’s Ted Kravitz when asked if any features from the paddock have surprised him this season.

“There’s definitely a different approach being taken there because what glimpses you see of their cooling system, it’s definitely not light and svelte.

“So they’re doing that for a reason, and I’d love to know what that reason is, but we haven’t figured it out yet.”
https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes- ... 20-feature
video here

organic

Thank you both for interview and the video of it =D>

I hope we continue to learn more about how it's working. Shame there's no formu1a uno for red bull

vorticism

The thin times between testing and first race where I analyze 1/20th of a low resolution image...'
First view of how they plug the inlets in the garage. Foam insert with cooling hoses into the main inlet, typical. The vertical slot has similar foam jammed into it as well, looks like a sheet inserted edgewise. No hose visible connected to it. The red strip at left is livery, ignore it.

This might rule out that it's an aero duct (S-duct or similar) because: why would you block it off in the garage?

If there's no hose connected to that plug in the vertical slot, then:
-likely not for dedicated cooling flow
-could indicate connection to the main inlet plenum to prevent cool air from the hoses leaking out
-engine intakes get plugged for shipment & garage... although I'm having my doubts about this supposition. The roll hoop looks too large relative to the radiator that's behind it i.e. the roll hoop looking like it's not 100% cooling inlet

RB19 shipping plugs:

𓄀

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

In essence, the RB car has grown 4 new inlets, an increase in bulk of the engine cover, and an arguably slight larger roll hoop inlet in exchange for a fairly negligible change to the sidepod size. Unless they are now mining for bitcoins under the engine cover, this makes no sense.

So there's something more than cooling taking place imo. I like James Allison's take. This no longer looks svelte, it looks onerous. So there has to be a very good reason. I don't know what that is but want to understand.

vorticism

Maybe CoG height is not as important in this application as previously thought.
𓄀

Andi76
Andi76

miguelalvesreis wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 09:52
Andi76 wrote:

Bravo Scarbs! Finally an expert in the F1 media landscape who clearly states that Red Bull's sidepods are relatively conventional, and that zero-pods are not possible with these sidepods and radiator arrangement! What Red Bull has done is unique, definitely. But it has nothing to do with Zeropods, nor are the sidepods revolutionary or the arrangement of the radiators in a V-shape. The whole cooling concept, on the other hand, is definitely a new approach that deserves a lot of respect and is very courageous. Just as he rightly says that Newey, as I posted here a day or two ago, remembers innovative old and proven concepts, recognizes when they are useful or can bring advantages to a technical regulation and then integrates them for the benefit of the whole car. Funnily enough, he even gives the same examples with the blown diffuser and Sauber/Ferrari 2004/2005 V-shaped radiators....
The fact that he mentioned what you stated here without mentioning was stated by you made me think that either he is actively here or that you were him on disguise 🥸

Enviado do meu RMX3572 através do Tapatalk
The last time I looked in the mirror I couldn't recognize any resemblance :lol:

MtthsMlw

vorticism wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 22:41
The thin times between testing and first race where I analyze 1/20th of a low resolution image...'
First view of how they plug the inlets in the garage. Foam insert with cooling hoses into the main inlet, typical. The vertical slot has similar foam jammed into it as well, looks like a sheet inserted edgewise. No hose visible connected to it. The red strip at left is livery, ignore it.

This might rule out that it's an aero duct (S-duct or similar) because: why would you block it off in the garage?

If there's no hose connected to that plug in the vertical slot, then:
-likely not for dedicated cooling flow
-could indicate connection to the main inlet plenum to prevent cool air from the hoses leaking out
-engine intakes get plugged for shipment & garage... although I'm having my doubts about this supposition. The roll hoop looks too large relative to the radiator that's behind it i.e. the roll hoop looking like it's not 100% cooling inlet
You can see said plugs nicely here.
Three ideas about the apparent increase in cooling area/inlets:
1. Allows for higher engine modes without overheating - increased power offsets weight, drag, cog penalty.
2. Maximized sidepod undercut for aero reasons necessitated these extra inlets to not lose cooling performance.
3. The ducts are not just used for cooling but also directly for aero purposes in whatever way.

For me the second one is most plausible. Helmut Marko in a recent interview said "Adrian Newey would want a car without radiators", not sure about the exact wording though. Maybe you could understand it in a way that the current radiator layout is a compromise (I mean it always kinda is) for Newey but this time aero was number one priority and won leading to the more unusual radiator/inlet situation.

organic

Perhaps the Japan upgrade package and its direction will illuminate us in that regard

But it's difficult to understand what aero benefit they're getting by seemingly just running more cooling. Which is what Allison was questioning I think

One possibility is the higher engine mode. The new engine this year receives a new name designation, whereas '22-'23 the engine had the same name. Perhaps a step forward that requires some extra cooling.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I really doubt Newey or Wache or whoever pulls the strings would have supported more inlets for a higher engine mode. I'm not sure that ever pays off and doesn't really make sense to me.

On high speed circuits that are power sensitive (Monza, Spa, Jeddah) etc, your average cooling power is big because the cooling is a function of the velocity. You end up blanking things off because you have so much flow that you can get away with it, not opening things up.

Then you have low speed circuits where you might need more openings (Hungary). They are not power sensitive to begin with, so there would be no reason to want to make an aero compromise to access more engine power on a power insensitive circuit.

Without having seen the Japan car, I can't say anything, but I can only assume that the Japan update somehow incorporates some smaller sidepods. That would be the logical result of increased centerline cooling. That still doesn't resolve the "s-duct" inlet question, if it's even an s-duct.

Sieper

Maybe more cooling off the electronics allows for more rapid charge/discharging.

But to me more inlets, perhaps even more mass in the whole system does not automatically equate to more cooling, maybe it just allows for better internal airflow, better aero as a total package.

Espresso
Espresso

IMHO the sidepod design allow for an increased lift correlated by increasing speed. Thus negating the car to be sucked closer to the ground when speed increases. Which should have a positive effect in lots of things….