2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

f1jcw wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 15:40
mendis wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 15:29
f1jcw wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 14:39
I'm sure they could have paid to put him in Williams for a year or so, or has Andrea's ego already so big that that wouldn't be good enough?
It's a waste of time to put a hot young talent in a back marker team. The frustration kills a lot of youthful exuberance that drives passion in a talented driver. Imagine Lewis having been put in a back marker in 2007. Who knows where he would have ended.
In the past, just getting to F1 was enough.
Young drivers used to get a bit more leeway in the past, modern F1? You have to hit the ground running, not make too many mistakes and score points. Then have the perennial "Is he as good as Lewis or Max?" thrown around.

chrisc90

El_KaPpa wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 23:19
Some go for a shark, some go for ram horns

GoranF1
GoranF1

Alonso was asked about potential Mercedes move in pressconferencetoday.His reaction is pretty similar to that in 2014 when he was asked about potential Mclaren Honda move. Those around him had similar reaction also.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

PlatinumZealot

chrisc90 wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 23:21
El_KaPpa wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 23:19
Some go for a shark, some go for ram horns
It's actually similar to RedBull's shark mouth design for real. Just a slightly diffrent treatment on the leading edges but the concept of what it does with the air flow is similar.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

DGP123 wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 15:36
I hope KA impresses in F2 from the get -go and they sign and commit early. I can’t bear having to listen to desperate Alonso trying to get that drive at Merc.
Lol i hear you man. Hes never been a real candidate for that seat in my view. Hes already talking about possible retirement now. He probably got confirmation it’s not happening.

They’re gonna return a plank less than limit if they keep sparking like that, lol
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Mansell89
Mansell89

That Toto look at the camera 😂

Interesting start from Merc- car looks reasonably hooked up and pace not bad on short and long run.

We await to see where Red Bull are with all turned up and he car dialled in.

Alex_Z
Alex_Z

Pace is awful on the long run - rbr (Max) is miles ahead. Engine is turned up for Merc according to Zak Brown while ferrari and rbr have it turned down

mkay
mkay

Mercedes race sim wasn't great. Definitely heavier deg than Ferrari. Red Bull has no deg whatsoever.

erudite450
erudite450

Alex_Z wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 18:00
Pace is awful on the long run - rbr (Max) is miles ahead. Engine is turned up for Merc according to Zak Brown while ferrari and rbr have it turned down
I agree that Redbulls might have their PU turned down but that doesn't necessarily mean Mercedes have theirs turned up. They're running it where one would normally run it on a Friday (or Thursday in this case). I expect Ferrari and McLaren to be on par with Mercedes tomorrow and Redbull to be ahead but I'd be surprised if Ferrari are more than a tenth ahead of the Mercedes, indeed if they are.

mkay
mkay

erudite450 wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 18:20
Alex_Z wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 18:00
I agree that Redbulls might have their PU turned down but that doesn't necessarily mean Mercedes have theirs turned up. They're running it where one would normally run it on a Friday (or Thursday in this case). I expect Ferrari and McLaren to be on par with Mercedes tomorrow and Redbull to be ahead but I'd be surprised if Ferrari are more than a tenth ahead of the Mercedes, indeed if they are.
Issue is that qualifying pace is so irrelevant in this day and age. I hope tyre deg is due to the rear-limited nature of the track. Otherwise, it's disappointing that they have gone backwards in that respect.

Logie
Logie

Russ just admitted on Sky F1 they are supprised at their quali pace not sure where its come from, said RB still in front of everyone but maybe not as big as last season. Said Merc pace similar to Fer, AST and McL

Luscion
Luscion

Based on this Hamilton is still ahead of the Ferraris on race pace. Sam Collins also thinks Lewis finishes P2 behind Max

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

All I know I just haven’t seen this dominant rb20 that all the pundits have been raving about. That car has issues. Yeah it appears to be good on deg but it just hasn’t set itself apart in testing or in the two practice sessions so far, which means it’s probably not a dominant car. Merc usually has issues in Bahrain. It’s not a good track for them historically so to finish f p2 1-2 is a great sign imo. Doesn’t mean they will be fastest in quali or race but it shows progress. I think the whole field has closed up on Redbull. I anticipate a more exciting season.

mkay
mkay

Hammerfist wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 18:43
All I know I just haven’t seen this dominant rb20 that all the pundits have been raving about. That car has issues. Yeah it appears to be good on deg but it just hasn’t set itself apart in testing or in the two practice sessions so far, which means it’s probably not a dominant car. Merc usually has issues in Bahrain. It’s not a good track for them historically so to finish f p2 1-2 is a great sign imo. Doesn’t mean they will be fastest in quali or race but it shows progress. I think the whole field has closed up on Redbull. I anticipate a more exciting season.
Everyone is saying that Red Bull has yet to turn up the wick on their PU. I guess we will find out in 24 hours whether that was true or not.

FWIW, I do think the gaps in FP2 are generally representative, which would suggest very competitive Saturdays and comfortable RB wins on Sundays.