2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Nowhere is he saying anything about the F1-75.
He was appointed as Haas's TD on December 4th, 2020. So the last time he may have had any input into the F1-75 was November 2020, that's 15 months before the cars hit the track for the first time, far too early to know anything other than some very high-level details about the car. Not to mention no way Ferrari would've willingly let him go to Haas had he had a major role in the F1-75.

Besides, Turrini usually writes in a way that's practically indecipherable.

venkyhere
venkyhere

Vanja #66 wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 19:17
https://www-formulapassion-it.translate ... r_pto=wapp

Mercedes puzzle: one second missing on the track compared to the simulator

According to what was reported in today's edition of Il Corriere dello Sport, there is a difference of one second between the data that emerge from the simulator and what is then found on the track . From times of virtual excellence we move on to the disappointment of George Russell and Lewis Hamilton who define the W15 as an "undriveable" car even though it was made in a 'conventional' way, abandoning the concept behind the W13 and W14. Team principal Toto Wolff stressed in Jeddah that the fast corners are undoubtedly a problem given that in three corners in Saudi Arabia the Mercedes lost half a second . Gary Anderson even hypothesized that the problem for the house of the Three-Pointed Star is not having fully understood ground effect .
1s sounds way too much, but I can imagine them seeing up to 5 tenths difference between simulator and track. They weren't showing to be ahead of Ferrari in preseason testing and yet they were convinced of it. So they've clearly had some data missmatch and not even aware of it, 3rd year in a row
If we assume a median time of 90s per lap across the season, 1s per lap is 1.11%. That is too huge a modelling-inaccuracy chasm for a professional racing team. Being 1% slower than the fastest team is one thing. Being 1% slower than your own multimillion $ simulator is quite another. I know the square root of jack about aerodynamics, yet even I can tell this can't be true.

Venturiation
Venturiation

venkyhere wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 21:49
Vanja #66 wrote:

According to what was reported in today's edition of Il Corriere dello Sport, there is a difference of one second between the data that emerge from the simulator and what is then found on the track . From times of virtual excellence we move on to the disappointment of George Russell and Lewis Hamilton who define the W15 as an "undriveable" car even though it was made in a 'conventional' way, abandoning the concept behind the W13 and W14. Team principal Toto Wolff stressed in Jeddah that the fast corners are undoubtedly a problem given that in three corners in Saudi Arabia the Mercedes lost half a second . Gary Anderson even hypothesized that the problem for the house of the Three-Pointed Star is not having fully understood ground effect .
1s sounds way too much, but I can imagine them seeing up to 5 tenths difference between simulator and track. They weren't showing to be ahead of Ferrari in preseason testing and yet they were convinced of it. So they've clearly had some data missmatch and not even aware of it, 3rd year in a row
If we assume a median time of 90s per lap across the season, 1s per lap is 1.11%. That is too huge a modelling-inaccuracy chasm for a professional racing team. Being 1% slower than the fastest team is one thing. Being 1% slower than your own multimillion $ simulator is quite another. I know the square root of jack about aerodynamics, yet even I can tell this can't be true.
But they said after testing that correlation was perfect, every change in the simulator worked exactly the same on track
It has to be the new floor

Cs98
Cs98

Venturiation wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 22:27
venkyhere wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 21:49
Vanja #66 wrote:

But they said after testing that correlation was perfect, every change in the simulator worked exactly the same on track
It has to be the new floor
There's only one proper high speed corner in Bahrain and I think you'll recall Merc put on a fireworks show every time they pushed through that corner due to bouncing. So the signs of an issue were already there in Bahrain.

FW17

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/susi ... oto-wolff/

Lewis and George Slam FIA for transparency, Susie files on 4th March but revels it on 21st March

atanatizante

CaribouBread wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 11:06
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/merce ... /10589045/
Mercedes has captured two senior Ferrari staff members, including its former chief designer Simone Resta, as part of a bid to strengthen its Formula 1 operation, Autosport has learned.

Resta has been signed as strategic development director and will work directly with technical director James Allison to push forward with car-related projects.

Also joining Mercedes is Enrico Sampo, who is joining as head of performance software applications.
Allison was working with Simone Resta back at Ferrari and was highly recommend... and Enrico Sampo it was redundant after Ferrari introduced Reinforcement Learning A.I. software last year ... this program gave them big gains both in chosing the best setup and also for the simulation work aside ... does anybody knows what A.I. software Merc is using for this kinda stuff?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Big Tea

Cocles wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 20:44
Dunlay wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 20:10
Bring back Mike Elliott and have him work alongside Allison. I am sure he knows a few things that can help.
You might be onto something. Elliott fell to the Peter Principal. Ross Brawn formed the team poaching various people who had also fallen to the Peter Principal then in essence "demoting" them back into what they're best at: Costa, Willis, etc.. It's possible Elliott didn't want the demotion, but it would have made sense.
I would like to be able to vote this post up. It happens so often.
There are many people in all trades that were very good until they were promoted, then no one wanted them back at their old job.
I have seen it at a personal level and when I asked if I could take him back after "failing" you would think I had asked for a zombie, even though he had done an excellent job for 4 years previously.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PlatinumZealot

Cocles wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 20:44
Dunlay wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 20:10
Bring back Mike Elliott and have him work alongside Allison. I am sure he knows a few things that can help.
You might be onto something. Elliott fell to the Peter Principal. Ross Brawn formed the team poaching various people who had also fallen to the Peter Principal then in essence "demoting" them back into what they're best at: Costa, Willis, etc.. It's possible Elliott didn't want the demotion, but it would have made sense.
Who is this Peter and which team is he the pincipal of? :P did he poach Elliot? :P
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Sevach
Sevach

Big off for Russell in the high speed corner.

dialtone
dialtone

The car has no rear downforce. Lewis also snapped in T1.

Sevach
Sevach

Any clue on who's running "test spec" floor vs "Bahrain-Jeddah" floor?

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

The car looks very tricky to drive in the high speed and the gain they make through the low and medium speed aren't great as well. Seems like they're matched on the straights as well. Going to be another very long weekend for the Mercedes team.

j_ste
j_ste

Such a mess

K1Plus
K1Plus

But a lack of rear downforce seemed also to be a common theme of their title winning divas of 2017 and 2018...
I can't seem to wrap my head around as to thinking, maybe their floor development targets are too conservative and they are afraid to take risks because of simulation issues.

Mansell89
Mansell89

When they had the early years, I seem to remember 2013 they had pace but chewed rear tyres in the race? Was that a result of a lot of rear downforce or a lack of it?

This car currently just looks a mess - like they’re chasing a miniscule set up window again and everything they do seems to compromise something else.