2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Waz
Waz

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

-wkst- wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 09:53
There were already rumours in the past, so I would not connect this solely with VER and Newey.

It's the question: what does STR jr. wants to do in the following years?

Once he walks away and the F1 business is still as hot as it is now, Stroll senior can sell the team with an enormous profit. With the works partnership in hand and a state of the art factory.
I honestly sense that Stroll Sr will want the taste of success first before he decides to sell. Or most likely still retains a minority share.

There's so much investment and planning going into this team, that the goal is clearly to step up into the Top 3 and dislodge Mercedes from that group.

Whatever happens, I hope the Aston Martin name stays, it just feels right to have them in F1.

diffuser

Waz wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 15:17
-wkst- wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 09:53
There were already rumours in the past, so I would not connect this solely with VER and Newey.

It's the question: what does STR jr. wants to do in the following years?

Once he walks away and the F1 business is still as hot as it is now, Stroll senior can sell the team with an enormous profit. With the works partnership in hand and a state of the art factory.
I honestly sense that Stroll Sr will want the taste of success first before he decides to sell. Or most likely still retains a minority share.

There's so much investment and planning going into this team, that the goal is clearly to step up into the Top 3 and dislodge Mercedes from that group.

Whatever happens, I hope the Aston Martin name stays, it just feels right to have them in F1.
I don't pretend to know what Stroll Sr will do when Jr. hangs up his driving shoes. Depends on what Jr decides to do after he does. He may decide to stay in the team in some capacity.

diffuser

Jambier wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 11:12
I believe this can happen if the Red bull situation goes sideway.

- 2026 with the new Honda partnership + Verstappen
- Newey as a special consultant

This could be very great for this team, actually this team might become the next "red bull" team, in terms of way of working and performance

That will leave ALO one year more with Aston before retiring, make sense once again
I think the odds of ending up with Newey and Max and not Marko at this point are 0%. We really don't know where Horner stands with regards to Newey and vise versa. Horner's Kept Newey happy all these years. So there is a big chance that he stands with Horner, in which case the odds of obtaining both Max and Newey is a pipe dream (less than 5%). Hardly worth talking about.

diffuser

gggg
Last edited by diffuser on 01 Apr 2024, 23:06, edited 2 times in total.

SSJ4
SSJ4

https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/2024 ... bourn.html

found this quite interesting.

The No. 14 single-seater seemed good in slow corners, but was at a disadvantage to its rivals in the medium fast. The new front suspension seems to benefit in terms of mechanical grip, however, the extreme design based on maximum tapering of the area does not seem useful in terms of efficiency. In addition, the AMR24 does not appear to be equipped with a DRS system capable of providing large deltas between the start and end of the usage section, although many believe it is.

diffuser

SSJ4 wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 18:44
https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/2024 ... bourn.html

found this quite interesting.

The No. 14 single-seater seemed good in slow corners, but was at a disadvantage to its rivals in the medium fast. The new front suspension seems to benefit in terms of mechanical grip, however, the extreme design based on maximum tapering of the area does not seem useful in terms of efficiency. In addition, the AMR24 does not appear to be equipped with a DRS system capable of providing large deltas between the start and end of the usage section, although many believe it is.

So I have problems believing any of what he wrote. If I'm reading the chart correctly, I can see the data for the DRS chart doesn't take into account which lap the DRS was deployed. LeClerc last use of DRS would have been the last or second to last Lap. While Russel and Alonso's use of the DRS would have been before the accident ...so lap 3? Many of Hamilton's DRS times were with the soft compound, while others on Hards or Mediums, all that will have effects on traction levels. I also saw Russel hitting speeds in excess of 320 without the DRS, making me question other data he's using.

I tried to use F1 Tempo to analyse the difference but even that would be hard to calculate. After I generated the graphs, I noticed the fastest laps were all created at different laps. I dropped LeClerc's Lap 50 fastest lap cause it was the only one that used DRS for their fastest lap.

I noted below the Fastest laps that I looked at, then calculated the lap times based on if they all had tried generate their fastest lap on lap 50. I'm assuming that each lap of fuel is costing you a tenth of a second in lap time.
                Time Adj
    LAP LapTime .1/lap@50
VER 50  1:31.8  1:31.8
LEC 49  1:31.9  1:31.8
PIA 45  1:32.3  1:31.8
ALO 43  1:32.4  1:31.7
A weight of a lap of fuel costs at lease a tenth of a second in lap time. So how do we really compare any of the numbers he's talking about. I think it's garbage in and he'd handing us garbage out.
Last edited by diffuser on 20 Mar 2024, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.

-wkst-
-wkst-

McCullough about the DRS effect:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/why- ... /10588881/

I guess not the best analyze above from this Italian website when the performance director explicitly praises the gains they made at this area.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Krack: "we have some small updates for Melbourne, which are part of our continuous development plan throughout the season."
https://www.astonmartinf1.com/en-GB/rac ... tralian-gp

-wkst-
-wkst-

KimiRai wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 23:57
Krack: "we have some small updates for Melbourne, which are part of our continuous development plan throughout the season."
Maybe related to that:
Fabrega posted a picture from ALO's car with an already mounted aero rake for FP1 (between front suspension and sidepod inlet).

edit:
Motorsport.com Italy reports that they have an upgraded front wing.
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-as ... /10589380/

xReVo
xReVo

-wkst- wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 11:06
KimiRai wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 23:57
Maybe related to that:
Fabrega posted a picture from ALO's car with an already mounted aero rake for FP1 (between front suspension and sidepod inlet).

edit:
I had already said that the problem was the front axle, you can see it from the telemetry in the front limited corners like 11, 12 and 14 in Jeddah. With the petrol load this is even more accentuated. I'm happy that some articles now report this. With this new wing they hope to at least make a patch although I doubt it.

KimiRai
KimiRai

xReVo wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 15:46
I had already said that the problem was the front axle, you can see it from the telemetry in the front limited corners like 11, 12 and 14 in Jeddah. With the petrol load this is even more accentuated. I'm happy that some articles now report this. With this new wing they hope to at least make a patch although I doubt it.
It looks to be a lower df wing, very subtle changes. I do not understand the wording of that article to be honest, it does not look anything special.

diffuser

Alonso fried the floor.

diffuser

xReVo wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 15:46
-wkst- wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 11:06
Maybe related to that:

edit:
I looked at the data and early on Alonso was faster than Russel through that section. He was Also close to leclerc through there. Not sure that those turns are the type of turns they're having problems with.

Since turn 9 is a slow corner, turn 10, 11and 12 are taken at full throttle. Full throttle means they're still accelerating so the corners are rear tire or power limited. Front limited turns are typically turns the car is off full throttle, off throttle or braking.

KimiRai
KimiRai

De la Rosa says Alonso was not comfortable with the rear balance, the rear suspension settings were quite a bit different from the standard. Then they returned to a more normal setting and he's better now. I think he said they were testing something but if they've moved away from it and Alo was not happy then it most likely didn't work.

Stroll so far looks more comfortable thanks to a more normal FP1 for him. So many times he has disappointed in the past, hopefully he gets it right for once...

jofs89
jofs89

What was the long run pace like? I can't seem to find much information on anyone's long runs.