2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
collindsilva
collindsilva

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

Seems stroll long run pace is matching MCL. Alonso is bit off, should be set up issue needs some fine tuning.

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

jofs89 wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 10:49
What was the long run pace like? I can't seem to find much information on anyone's long runs.
Alonso and Stroll was ár different program. Stroll was pushing and Alonso tyre save as I heard on his onboard radio.
https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https% ... 0c8edcda6c

jofs89
jofs89

Looks quite promising. If Alonso can get Stroll's set up then could be competitive

Ashwinv16

Aston now got the best DRS efficiency in the grid. They have been working improving rear ride height performance with the end suspension to ensure consistent drive in high and low fuel and this work is inadvertently giving them better setup for the DRS too as a bonus advantage. Alonso mentioned DRS in press conference means they understand this so some good signs. It's even better than the Red Bulls but fp2 so maybe redbull running less engine mode.

https://x.com/F1TelemetryData/status/17 ... 1n44w&s=09

Stroll is also looking much better with the new set-ups.
Halo not as bad as we thought

-wkst-
-wkst-

It's always a good sign when STR is at the front, this could mean that the car is easier to drive now, not so much on the edge like at the beginning of the season. Obviously they are testing a lot with set-ups and suspension settings. Now a goood look into the data and fine-tune everything for FP3, which is for the first time useable this year.

SSJ4
SSJ4

What do they mean by alonso had to go back old floor?

diffuser

Let's see what they hook up for fp3 setup and how it does.

KimiRai
KimiRai

SSJ4 wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 13:42
What do they mean by alonso had to go back old floor?
Pedro's comments do not make sense at all if the floor wasn't new. Why do AMuS think the floor was "used"?

It was not badly damaged but it was damaged enough to make it meaningless. A floor losing downforce, you don't really learn anything. There was time to change it and from here on there will be fewer laps, yes, but the laps that will be done will be quality laps. In the end it's what you want, not lapping for the sake of lapping because with a damaged floor the moment you lose 5 or 10 downforce points you're really talking about 3 or 4 tenths per lap that it doesn't make sense [lapping].

A good decision to change it, the team when he was already doing this last lap with a damaged car, they saw in the data that they had lost downforce points and that's why they decided to come into the pits and change the floor.
I think he makes it pretty clear that they put on a new floor. Unless they are doing things behind his back and lying to him :lol: , I'd trust him over journalists.
Last edited by KimiRai on 22 Mar 2024, 14:19, edited 2 times in total.

-wkst-
-wkst-

Schmidt has his own style of writing and I guess the twitter guy just used the google translator. "Lost in translation" could be the case here. Unfortunately I can't check it as a native speaker, because the article is behind a paywall.

KimiRai
KimiRai

-wkst- wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 14:15
Schmidt has his own style of writing and I guess the twitter guy just used the google translator. "Lost in translation" could be the case here. Unfortunately I can't check it as a native speaker, because the article is behind a paywall.
Paywall is just a word if you know a few tricks :wink: This is all I could find, you tell us

Ist Aston Martin auch am Sonntag schnell?
Das kennen wir aus den ersten beiden Rennen. Auf eine Runde sind die Aston Martin schnell. Lance Stroll und Fernando Alonso landeten im zweiten Training auf den Plätzen vier und fünf. Und dabei hatte Alonso noch einen Fehler in Kurve 6 eingebaut. Er traf den gleichen Randstein wie Alexander Albon, hielt das Auto aber auf der Straße, obwohl der Aston Martin mit der Startnummer 14 schon mit allen vier Rädern in der Luft war. Im Rennen waren die grünen Autos bislang nur fünfte Kraft. In Jeddah schon etwas weniger als in Bahrain. "Wir arbeiten daran unseren Speed vom Training ins Rennen übertragen", versprach Teamchef Mike Krack.

Der Aston Marin AMR24 baut auf einem neuen Konzept auf. Noch fehlt die Erfahrung, das Auto perfekt auszubalancieren. Auf eine Runde geht es, auf die Distanz noch nicht. Darunter leiden die Reifen. "Wir haben im Rennen einen zu starken Reifenverschleiß", kritisiert Stroll. Der Aston Martin ist im Gegensatz zum Mercedes instabil auf der Vorderachse. Wenn die Ingenieure dann mit mehr Frontflügel gegensteuern wollen, kann das Pendel ins Gegenteil ausschlagen.

Lance Stroll testete Modifikationen am Fahrwerk. Sie sollten die Reifenabnutzung eindämmen. Alonso übernahm die Aerodynamikarbeit. Sein Longrun war nicht berühmt. Lance Stroll war im Schnitt fast eine Sekunde pro Runde schneller. Die Erklärung ist kompliziert. Ein Austritt ins Kiesbett im ersten Training kostete Alonso viel Zeit. An Longruns war nicht zu denken. Außerdem musste für das zweite Training mangels Ersatzteilen ein gebrauchter Boden ans Auto. Der Spanier ging seinen Dauerlauf zu konservativ an, weil er nicht wusste, inwieweit er den Reifen trauen konnte.

-wkst-
-wkst-

Ok, but I still don't know what Schmidt exactly means.

He writes that for the 2nd FP they bolted an used floor on the car, because they don't have enough spare parts.

I guess he wants to express that they bolted an old floor onto the car in FP2 (maybe from testing in Bahrain with lots of mileage already, which they not want race with anymore - my speculation) , that they don't get problems if another floor (they want to use on saturday/sunday) will be destroyed in a FP session.

HardikS
HardikS

Really Alonso disappointed me today i am not satisfied with his runs today in practice 1. Team was already looking for some testing data aerowise for performance comparison with stroll data and he made mistake kinda similar to last year Spainish Grand prix where he did same mistake of damaging new or modified floor by going in gravel. After that his whole weekend was compromised this can not be acceptable to standards of high level of alonso. Stroll was flawless in both practice sessions hope he continue same for weekend and whole season.

I think other members can be harsh for my point of view but this weekend kinda giving me vibes of last year spanish grand prix. Stroll may be genuinely outscored alonso this race currently it seems alonso is on the back foot compared to stroll. Performance i don't know why team losing too much time on last sector3.

SSJ4
SSJ4

Good thing is stroll looks competitive. So that should bode well for the rest of the weekend

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

SSJ4 wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 16:13
Good thing is stroll looks competitive. So that should bode well for the rest of the weekend
I don't know, nobody was really pushing that's for sure. Last year Alonso FP3 time was 1.17:2 . Now is just was FP2 but Stroll time was 1.17:8. If we calculate inside they 0.6-0.8s faster than last year ,then 1.16:4 would be possible instead of 1.17:800.

KimiRai
KimiRai

HardikS wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 15:48
Really Alonso disappointed me today i am not satisfied with his runs today in practice 1. Team was already looking for some testing data aerowise for performance comparison with stroll data and he made mistake kinda similar to last year Spainish Grand prix where he did same mistake of damaging new or modified floor by going in gravel. After that his whole weekend was compromised this can not be acceptable to standards of high level of alonso. Stroll was flawless in both practice sessions hope he continue same for weekend and whole season.

I think other members can be harsh for my point of view but this weekend kinda giving me vibes of last year spanish grand prix. Stroll may be genuinely outscored alonso this race currently it seems alonso is on the back foot compared to stroll. Performance i don't know why team losing too much time on last sector3.
I agree that Stroll looks more comfortable so far (I was the first to say it some posts ago) but saying flawless is too much because he went off the track two times if I'm not mistaken. Just like many others did because Australia has zero grip at the start of the weekend.

A flawless weekend for him would be at least to qualify close and then finish close as well. His main weakness is his consistency, he needs to string the whole weekend together. So far, its a good start.