2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
xReVo
xReVo

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

Rikrikrik wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 17:16
Xyz22 wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 17:08
Rikrikrik wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 16:51
For me, Aston looks promise. we need wait for more, but. Aston looks in the right way this year and, i dont know, i dont trust on Mclaren. I think Mclaren will be Aston 2023 this year and they loss perfomance during the year. Aston will be thrid team, because is how Alonso said ' we dont have much problems on a specific area, maybe put more dow,force in general", in the opposite way, Mclaren is so Draggy and Mercedes looks lost in the universe and looks still be collecting glass pieces from "Hamilton's departure". RedBull and Ferrari are stable and secure theyself. I think Alonso will be retired or resign. Aston really show us a team where the car is so great, but, just need more downforce.
I don't see Alo missing on the 2026 opportunity, even with Aston.
Yeah, i wrote wrong. I mean, i think Alonso will retired or renew with Aston, i really dont see better opportunity, including Redbull, i will prefer deposite my confidence in Aston looking 2026 instead Redbull, honestly. I really trust on Aston for 2026.
If Redbull offers Alonso a contract for 2025, he has to go there. It would be a sure chance to have a car fighting for the world championship, something that hasn't happened since 2012 (or even). It wouldn't be a lack of respect or trust towards anyone, simply a driver with a maximum of 2 more years left in his career chooses the easiest destination to achieve victory. For 2026 Marko said that RB Powertrain and Mercedes are the best placed teams, so I don't see Aston fighting for the championship.

diffuser

xReVo wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 21:38
Rikrikrik wrote:
Xyz22 wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 17:08

I don't see Alo missing on the 2026 opportunity, even with Aston.
Yeah, i wrote wrong. I mean, i think Alonso will retired or renew with Aston, i really dont see better opportunity, including Redbull, i will prefer deposite my confidence in Aston looking 2026 instead Redbull, honestly. I really trust on Aston for 2026.
If Redbull offers Alonso a contract for 2025, he has to go there. It would be a sure chance to have a car fighting for the world championship, something that hasn't happened since 2012 (or even). It wouldn't be a lack of respect or trust towards anyone, simply a driver with a maximum of 2 more years left in his career chooses the easiest destination to achieve victory. For 2026 Marko said that RB Powertrain and Mercedes are the best placed teams, so I don't see Aston fighting for the championship.
Again, I have no idea how Marko knows what Honda or Audi are doing. Marko's known spew BS without any evidence. He thought Nyck DeVries had a long future in F1.

Otromundo

With Shanghai's looooong straights and the devilish design of curves, it has to be a commitment and a responsibility to tune the car and make it work as well as possible everywhere.

The idea of ​​chasing cars in the corners and not losing what you have gained on the straights... with the big wing as Diffuser explains, I think it would go well with the current car.

The fast ones are RB and Ferrari. Maybe they even have a close fight between them. It doesn't look like an RB circuit to me.

Behind these two are the guys from McL with their car so skilled in fast corners but less fast than the previous ones. And the MB in an absent state for the moment. And us too, of course.

An excellent tire degradation would be very good for us to minimize weakness on straights. It could be decisive. Because I think a few will eat their tires in the complicated curves.

The car is not as fast as RB or Ferrari for now. So better try to be the best with a Mercedes engine. That the McL do not escape through the curves and that the MB do not come from behind like jets on the straights. More or less.

Yes, I like the idea of ​​putting the big wing on.
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

issey
issey

Otromundo wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 21:55
With Shanghai's looooong straights and the devilish design of curves, it has to be a commitment and a responsibility to tune the car and make it work as well as possible everywhere.

The idea of ​​chasing cars in the corners and not losing what you have gained on the straights... with the big wing as Diffuser explains, I think it would go well with the current car.

The fast ones are RB and Ferrari. Maybe they even have a close fight between them. It doesn't look like an RB circuit to me.

Behind these two are the guys from McL with their car so skilled in fast corners but less fast than the previous ones. And the MB in an absent state for the moment. And us too, of course.

An excellent tire degradation would be very good for us to minimize weakness on straights. It could be decisive. Because I think a few will eat their tires in the complicated curves.

The car is not as fast as RB or Ferrari for now. So better try to be the best with a Mercedes engine. That the McL do not escape through the curves and that the MB do not come from behind like jets on the straights. More or less.

Yes, I like the idea of ​​putting the big wing on.
Tbh the drag from this years car has well decreased if you look at Suzuka we had one of the biggest wings but still managed to be up there in top speeds when not even faster compared to the teams with lower downforce wings. I think straights are not that kind of a issue this year anymore and the updates will probably make it even better.

-wkst-
-wkst-

diffuser wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 21:14
-wkst- wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 20:50
Schmidt Video Blog:
He knows some people inside AMR and they more or less confirmed him that AMR definitely wants to sign Newey. Currently Newey should have a contract/stay at RBR at least until the hypercar project is finished (autumn 2025).
Updates work.
I'm not saying yea or nay but name me one team that wouldn't want to sign Newey
He didn't want to express lose contacts, but real negotiation with AMR and Ferrari.

Wolff told him moreover that Newey was seen at the Bologna airport recently.

xReVo
xReVo

diffuser wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 21:51
xReVo wrote:
Rikrikrik wrote:
Again, I have no idea how Marko knows what Honda or Audi are doing. Marko's known spew BS without any evidence. He thought Nyck DeVries had a long future in F1.
work on the engine has already begun and rumors are circulating behind the scenes as often happens, even in pre-championship tests.

-wkst-
-wkst-

xReVo wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 09:21
diffuser wrote:
xReVo wrote:

work on the engine has already begun and rumors are circulating behind the scenes as often happens, even in pre-championship tests.
And many of them say that the RB PU is behind or has problems.

It's pretty clear, reading between the lines what Marko said about AMR and Honda last year, that this is the partnership that he prefered for the future for RBR (but it was simply too late).

basti313
basti313

xReVo wrote:
diffuser wrote:
xReVo wrote:

Well, performance is unknown, this is what we read from the 2014 reports until they hit the track the first time, right?
But Marko knows exactly how much everyone is investing in the new engine. There is a reason why RB does not work with Honda anymore and the reason in my point of view is the invest. There is also a reason why Ham is leaving Merc....the money on the new engine is at Ferrari higher. So I do not buy what Marco is saying, but I also do not see how Aston will profit in the end.
-wkst- wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 07:36
diffuser wrote:
-wkst- wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 20:50
Schmidt Video Blog:
He knows some people inside AMR and they more or less confirmed him that AMR definitely wants to sign Newey. Currently Newey should have a contract/stay at RBR at least until the hypercar project is finished (autumn 2025).
Updates work.
He didn't want to express lose contacts, but real negotiation with AMR and Ferrari.

But again...where is the money?
Of course Newey can speak to AMR, maybe he has to speak to some teams to find his solution. But where should the money come from to pay Newey a 200m contract per year over a 5 year contract? This is the number which is most probably necessary if we assume he is now on 100m. That would mean that Lawrence sends 25% of his net worth to Newey...sorry this is not payable by AMR, maybe not even his current 100m contract.

The money to pay Newey is at Ferrari or RedBull, nowhere else.
Don`t russel the hamster!

-wkst-
-wkst-

Mate, stop with such fantasy numbers.

Neither Newey earns currently anything in the region of 100m a year, nor will anybody offer him a 200m contract per year. Marko said that such numbers have nothing to do with the reality.

Or that RBR didn't want to work with Honda anymore.

diffuser

basti313 wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 10:02
xReVo wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Well, performance is unknown, this is what we read from the 2014 reports until they hit the track the first time, right?
But Marko knows exactly how much everyone is investing in the new engine. There is a reason why RB does not work with Honda anymore and the reason in my point of view is the invest. There is also a reason why Ham is leaving Merc....the money on the new engine is at Ferrari higher. So I do not buy what Marco is saying, but I also do not see how Aston will profit in the end.
-wkst- wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 07:36
diffuser wrote:

But again...where is the money?
Of course Newey can speak to AMR, maybe he has to speak to some teams to find his solution. But where should the money come from to pay Newey a 200m contract per year over a 5 year contract? This is the number which is most probably necessary if we assume he is now on 100m. That would mean that Lawrence sends 25% of his net worth to Newey...sorry this is not payable by AMR, maybe not even his current 100m contract.

The money to pay Newey is at Ferrari or RedBull, nowhere else.
Stroll's net worth is 4 Billion dollars. 100 million would be 2.5%. The conglomerate that he leads that own's AMR is probably worth 40 billion.

Krack said they made no such offer to Newey.

To me 99.99% of all this is propaganda by the journalists cause of the situation over there @ RBR.

Waz
Waz

I highly doubt Newey earns $100 million a year. There's no R.O.I. on that directly attributed to him. Any engineer is not going to earn almost the whole WCC prize money.

Drivers get paid mega money because that can be recovered through sponsor endorsement, merchandise and a few other avenues besides the achievements earned driving. None of that applies to even an engineer of Newey caliber.

Big Gun
Big Gun

For China with the long long Back straight that comes off the emankment, provided Stroll makes it to Q3 he could provide alonso the slipstream off the long straight probably adding 4 tenths to Alonso's time, and with close nature qualy this season it has could be the diffenece of 6th to3rd at least.
thoughts?

diffuser

Mike Krack, the team boss, is optimistic about Aston Martin’s chances to secure Fernando Alonso’s services for the years beyond 2024, amidst speculation surrounding the Spanish driver’s potential shift to leading teams such as Red Bull or Mercedes.

At the Suzuka circuit, speculation was put to rest by Dr. Helmut Marko of Red Bull, confirming that Alonso, aged 42, would not be joining Max Verstappen in the coming year. Meanwhile, Alonso himself has expressed disinterest in a move to the underperforming Mercedes team, stating it is not “attractive.”

https://grandpx.news/boss-spills-the-te ... -mercedes/

peewon

Lets look at some facts (although some are rumors) regarding Newey. While I dont think its likely at all that Newey joins Aston Martin, it would not take anywhere close to $100 or $200 million per year. Maybe total value of the contract in that range for 5 years is more reasonable. His current renumeration is rumored to be around $10m a year and Ferrari are rumored to have offered him ~$35m in 2014. Which nearly got the job done but for internal politics at Ferrari which killed the deal at the last minute.

I think Newey has his own preferences for who he wants to work for. But if money was a deciding factor, AM could get a cash infusion through a sale of stake to a sponsor like Aramco who are rumored to be interested in purchasing the team outright. They also partnered in AM Lagonda, the car company and F1 team is a marketing platform for the car company. F1 team potentially wining titles could have a massive boost to the image of the brand. Way worth more than the numbers being talked about here. $200m over 5 years is drop in the bucket for PIF. Businesses can also generate a Line of credit against their own valuations to service short/medium term cash obligations but is not likely to be the chosen path for AM in this scenario.

TLDR: Newey probably wont join AM, but he wanted to, money would not be a problem for AM.

-wkst-
-wkst-

Money is not the problem for AMR, but maybe also not Neweys first interest.

Schmidt said he also talked a little bit with Newey and he got the feeling that he (Newey) is very tired of the political war inside the team because the guy just wants to design cars. The mood in the RBR motorhome, away from TV cameras is chilly, Horner is looking for friends everywhere, Marko is sitting with his Austrian friends isolated at one table.

And that's obviously the only reason why he would leave the team (although he has a valid contract according to Schmidt until the hypercar project is finished in autumn 2025). At Neweys age, a big check is for sure nice, but not everything. It's the package.