Silly season 2024-2025

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Tea

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

Vanja #66 wrote:
27 May 2024, 13:40
DGP123 wrote:
27 May 2024, 13:08
Max is already under pressure, now the car advantage has disappeared. He won’t want a teammate adding more pressure, so this is no surprise.

I would have said it’s disappointing for the fans/sport, but we could now be past that point of RB domination during this reg, and Perez staying at RB and being uncompetitive, actually doesn’t matter anymore. The fight is coming from elsewhere now.
I wouldn't be in Horner's place right now. On one hand, Perez is a known quantity, on the other he's on another slump it seems. Very likely Canada performance will have a big impact.

No one can guarantee that the replacement will do much better in no time (even Sainz), while Perez might even completely drop all motivation and just cruise for the rest of the season before retirement. Replacing Perez mid season 2024 would be the worst choice.
Without intending it as a slur on the team, we have to remember Red Bull, the company, is in this to sell product.
Their central America market is huge, so they may not all have the same priorities as Horner.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Vanja #66

Big Tea wrote:
27 May 2024, 16:56
Without intending it as a slur on the team, we have to remember Red Bull, the company, is in this to sell product.
Their central America market is huge, so they may not all have the same priorities as Horner.
Fair point
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Vanja #66

Corriere dello Sport says Antonelli got approval of Mercedes board for 2025. Italians writing about a young Italian talent, should be taken with some salt obviously...

https://www.formulapassion.it/f1/f1-new ... passo-gara

According to today’s edition of Il Corriere dello Sport Andrea Kimi Antonelli has definitively convinced the board of Mercedes by flying in a private test at Silverstone in which George Russell, Mick Schumacher and Antonelli alternated at the wheel. “The three drivers drove a 2022 Mercedes W13 and alternated following an identical work programme – read the Italian sports newspaper – Antonelli went strong as Russell in qualifying set-up (lent petrol and soft tyres) and slightly better than him on the race pace. Russell tried to extend his stay on the track to prevent the Bolognese from returning to the wheel. In vain.”

After this test Antonelli got the yes of all 15 members called to decide which will be the torque of drivers 2025. A few weeks ago there were only three yess in favor of Antonelli, but among them there was already that of Toto Wolff who wants to cultivate his Max Verstappen after losing the original in the hope that the Dutchman decides to leave Red Bull to have in 2026 a dream couple formed by Antonelli and Verstappen.
Russell's seat in 2026 is not guaranteed going by this report...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

Stu wrote:
27 May 2024, 13:47
There is a video circulating on YouTube that suggests Perez is going to Andretti…

🤷‍♂️
For their fantasy F1 team, or to race in the States?
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

Jambier

Vanja #66 wrote:
28 May 2024, 10:41
Corriere dello Sport says Antonelli got approval of Mercedes board for 2025. Italians writing about a young Italian talent, should be taken with some salt obviously...

According to today’s edition of Il Corriere dello Sport Andrea Kimi Antonelli has definitively convinced the board of Mercedes by flying in a private test at Silverstone in which George Russell, Mick Schumacher and Antonelli alternated at the wheel. “The three drivers drove a 2022 Mercedes W13 and alternated following an identical work programme – read the Italian sports newspaper – Antonelli went strong as Russell in qualifying set-up (lent petrol and soft tyres) and slightly better than him on the race pace. Russell tried to extend his stay on the track to prevent the Bolognese from returning to the wheel. In vain.”

After this test Antonelli got the yes of all 15 members called to decide which will be the torque of drivers 2025. A few weeks ago there were only three yess in favor of Antonelli, but among them there was already that of Toto Wolff who wants to cultivate his Max Verstappen after losing the original in the hope that the Dutchman decides to leave Red Bull to have in 2026 a dream couple formed by Antonelli and Verstappen.

Antonelli I'm not sure it is a good idea to put him in Mercedes from scratch... but if Mercedes is still P4 next year, maybe could be done.

Chuckjr

If he’s truly freaky fast, strong/level headed, and lands a Merc drive as a young teen (should Merc tame their woes by 2025), my god. 2025 prospects are getting better by the day. \:D/
I guess the team he’s on in F2 isn’t competitive, and is the reason for his not fighting at the top this year…
Watching F1 since 1986.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Vanja #66 wrote:

Well, if you have the chance to sign Verstappen and Antonelli is outperforming Russell? You'd take Verstappen.
Not too sure if Antonelli can live up to the hype tbh. It's a lot of pressure to throw any driver from F2 straight into one of the top teams in F1 (even if Mercedes are going through a competitive slump).

JordanMugen

Jambier wrote:
28 May 2024, 13:56
Antonelli I'm not sure it is a good idea to put him in Mercedes from scratch... but if Mercedes is still P4 next year, maybe could be done.
There's no choice though. Williams are keen on a more experienced second driver like Bottas or Sainz.

Should Mercedes instead sign Ocon on a one-year deal then, while Antonelli drives F2 again?

It seems strange that the quite fast Ocon is overlooked!

Mercedes - Russell, Ocon (one year deal)
Prema - Antonelli, TBA

Jurgen von Diaz

Russell tried to extend his stay on the track to prevent the Bolognese from returning to the wheel."

This sounds crazy. They went testing with an old car, and suddenly it became a war like Hamilton vs. Alonso, with one trying to prevent the other from doing lap times. Some Italians are trying to throw fuel on the flames.

Jambier

JordanMugen wrote:
29 May 2024, 14:58
Jambier wrote:
There's no choice though. Williams are keen on a more experienced second driver like Bottas or Sainz.

Should Mercedes instead sign Ocon on a one-year deal then, while Antonelli drives F2 again?

Prema - Antonelli, TBA
This is a big pressure to put Antonelli straight in F1 at Mercedes.
Isn't it also a question mark regarding his age ? Do they have the validation to break the rule?

Dunlay
Dunlay

JordanMugen wrote:
Jambier wrote:

Prema - Antonelli, TBA
Ocon has built s bad reputation with teams. Current Alpine situation is a serious dent for him to be considered by any good team.

kptaylor
kptaylor

Plus Ocon's lack of sponsorship support means less money than some other available drivers.

JordanMugen

Jambier wrote:
29 May 2024, 15:18
This is a big pressure to put Antonelli straight in F1 at Mercedes.
Sure, but Mercedes GP failed to buy a B-team when they had the chance (Manor) so they have no choice. Antonelli turns 18 in August and already has enough Superlicense points. :)

Would Audi-Sauber or Williams accept a package of Antonelli + $10m p/a from Mercedes GP? However both teams look like they will prefer to field 2 x veteran drivers.

Would Mercedes be happy to completely release Antonelli from contract and allow Antonelli to transfer to the Alpine junior program and an Alpine 2025 F1 drive? :?: To the contrary, signs from Mercedes GP have indicated a refusal to release Antonelli from contract under any circumstance! :shock:

Doohan, Martins or Antonelli -- which junior is best for Alpine? :?:

Should Alpine target an experienced driver like Bottas (or Magnussen)? :?: Sainz would be good too, if Sainz is interested in a multi-year deal with the slick Alpine squad.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

Dunlay wrote:
29 May 2024, 15:25
JordanMugen wrote:
Jambier wrote:

Prema - Antonelli, TBA
Ocon has built s bad reputation with teams. Current Alpine situation is a serious dent for him to be considered by any good team.
Is Ocon still managed by Toto?

Imagine the conversation with other teams...

"Please sign Ocon, he's really fast and a race winner"
"Don't you have a vacant seat at Mercedes Toto? Why don't you sign him?"
"Well the thing is that we already have George and.....um...." 🤣 🤣
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Vanja #66 wrote:

Mercedes called out this article and said that Antonelli did not beat Russell at the test on anything.

But I'm sure Russell would happily trade places with Max in 2026. If Max leaves RB, it's because of politics. But they will try as hard as they can to dress it up as performance related