2024 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 24 - 26

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
chrstphrln

Re: 2024 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 24 - 26

bluechris wrote:
28 May 2024, 18:14
This were good times with men behind the wheels, not like the current primadonas and zilly boyz...
Sounds a bit like the bitter commentary of a dissatisfied grumbler.
Far removed from reality and full of glorification of the past.😉

We have a field full of "old" men, multiple world champions with character and clear words, we have young riders, extraordinarily talented, sometimes aggressive even against their team-mates, we have fair, friendly interaction between riders who ride in different teams.
You can hardly ask for much more.
The rest is perfection and the need to observe cost caps and restrictions imposed by the regulations.
The time of the crash kids is over.

bluechris

When a 17 old kid jump in a F1 car and he is fine, there is no point to continue the discussion. Safety aside, half of the grid would had melt at 40% of the race in old era f1 cars, let's say from the 90s, so yes, i insist for what i say.
I respect all the youngsters and i cheer for them but their life is much much easier now.

Sevach
Sevach

langedweil wrote:
28 May 2024, 11:58
basti313 wrote:
28 May 2024, 10:22
Sevach wrote:
28 May 2024, 02:03
I would go with something like, special tires, softer than the C5, no other compounds for this event, all sets are of this special compound.
Obligatory passages through the pits(changing tires optional), 1 or 2, must be done under green flag conditions no SC or VSC allowed, you can change tires during these periods but it doesn't count for your obligatory pit trips.
Well...they do not even have to go for special tires. Just not use the C3. It is just a stupid rule to have a tire that can go twice the race distance just by the rule. If they would just go with C5 and C4 or maybe even just the C5 it would be a good solution.
I'd opt for C5 only then ..
Yup, Russell's C4s were still pretty decent after 77 laps, once he speeded up the tires even got better with the heat.
C4s are very far from what i had in mind when i proposed these rules.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

bluechris wrote:
28 May 2024, 19:08
When a 17 old kid jump in a F1 car and he is fine, there is no point to continue the discussion. Safety aside, half of the grid would had melt at 40% of the race in old era f1 cars, let's say from the 90s, so yes, i insist for what i say.
I respect all the youngsters and i cheer for them but their life is much much easier now.
Drivers are today are far more physically fit than 'old era' F1 drivers.

It's crazy too, cuz if drivers were doing what people are asking them to here - basically just trying to recklessly divebomb or whatever - then these same people would be the first to be criticizing them, calling them dumb and immature and whatnot when it inevitably doesn't work out and causes crashes. smh

bluechris

Seanspeed wrote:
28 May 2024, 20:06
bluechris wrote:

It's crazy too, cuz if drivers were doing what people are asking them to here - basically just trying to recklessly divebomb or whatever - then these same people would be the first to be criticizing them, calling them dumb and immature and whatnot when it inevitably doesn't work out and causes crashes. smh
I speak for the physical difficulty of driving old car's. I don't get how this is progress the almost automatic gearboxes and power steering.

Shrieker

dialtone wrote:
27 May 2024, 22:02
Shrieker wrote:When will k-mag receive a race ban ? When he kills someone ?
It wasn’t really that clear that it was his fault. He had nowhere to go on the right and there was little reason for Perez to close off further on the right when the track already curves left on its own there. It wasn’t a wise move by kmag but it’s far from being flagrant. He wasn’t trying to pass perez, he was likely just trying to stay ahead of hulk and any breaking would have meant giving that place up with hulk on the inside. Without Perez closing right nothing would have happened there.
I think we should take this into the context of his previous shenanigans. Not giving fair space to others. Moving violently under braking. Trying to drive thru ppl. Maybe if he had been handed out a penalty prior to this, this accident may have not happened.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

TFSA

bluechris wrote:
28 May 2024, 21:09
I speak for the physical difficulty of driving old car's. I don't get how this is progress the almost automatic gearboxes and power steering.
Cars have more downforce now and are heavier. Heavier cars require power steering. Driving todays cars without power steering would be pretty tough - it would probably mean they would have to change the steering wheels to gain more leverage, which requires way more turning.

Also, cars back in the day had technology which are banned now, including traction control and ABS. Let's not pretend they were driving un-technological tin-cans in the 80s and 90s.

chrstphrln

bluechris wrote:
Seanspeed wrote:
bluechris wrote:

It is well known that the G-forces produced by the current F1 generation place considerable physical demands on the drivers.
In addition to the enormous complexity of operating the systems, this is one of the main challenges.
It is undeniable that the demands on drivers have changed over the last thirty years.
That it has become physically easier for them is nonsense.

And BTW, as far as I know, the manual gearbox was already history by the end of 1991.

maxxer
maxxer

Shrieker wrote:
28 May 2024, 21:11
dialtone wrote:
27 May 2024, 22:02
Shrieker wrote:When will k-mag receive a race ban ? When he kills someone ?
It wasn’t really that clear that it was his fault. He had nowhere to go on the right and there was little reason for Perez to close off further on the right when the track already curves left on its own there. It wasn’t a wise move by kmag but it’s far from being flagrant. He wasn’t trying to pass perez, he was likely just trying to stay ahead of hulk and any breaking would have meant giving that place up with hulk on the inside. Without Perez closing right nothing would have happened there.
I think we should take this into the context of his previous shenanigans. Not giving fair space to others. Moving violently under braking. Trying to drive thru ppl. Maybe if he had been handed out a penalty prior to this, this accident may have not happened.
Indeed i totally agree the previous incidents where completely over the limit i think.
This one wasnt their fault both Haas drivers probably couldnt see eachother otherwise they would have one overtaking him and box him up.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

bluechris wrote:
Seanspeed wrote:
bluechris wrote:

Cool, and I'm saying that F1 drivers are more fit today, so would have no greater troubles than drivers in the olden days to deal with it.

I understand wishing that the cars were harder to drive again, but what drivers are doing today is still very difficult in their own right. Dont think it's fair to disparage them or act like they're lesser just cuz they happen to drive in the modern era.

bluechris

Seanspeed wrote:
29 May 2024, 15:04
bluechris wrote:
Seanspeed wrote:

Cool, and I'm saying that F1 drivers are more fit today, so would have no greater troubles than drivers in the olden days to deal with it.

I understand wishing that the cars were harder to drive again, but what drivers are doing today is still very difficult in their own right. Dont think it's fair to disparage them or act like they're lesser just cuz they happen to drive in the modern era.
The point is the mistakes that they will do from manual changing gears, the more troubles that the cars will have because no computer will save them etc.
Anyway let's go forward.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

bluechris wrote:
29 May 2024, 20:31
The point is the mistakes that they will do from manual changing gears, the more troubles that the cars will have because no computer will save them etc.
Well see, that's a better point. It is not driver-era related at all.

I still think modern drivers/teams would adapt and optimize the hell out of the cars, resulting in overall less mistakes though, and a very similar experience. This is hardly the first super boring Monaco race. Has been the norm for a long time without a safety car or rain.

bluechris

Seanspeed wrote:
29 May 2024, 23:41
bluechris wrote:
29 May 2024, 20:31
Well see, that's a better point. It is not driver-era related at all.

I still think modern drivers/teams would adapt and optimize the hell out of the cars, resulting in overall less mistakes though, and a very similar experience. This is hardly the first super boring Monaco race. Has been the norm for a long time without a safety car or rain.
Oh im ok with Monaco without a single pass, i don't care.
Simply watching this guys run millimeters from the walls, i love it.

Andres125sx

chrstphrln wrote:
28 May 2024, 09:15
Andres125sx wrote:
28 May 2024, 08:29
chrstphrln wrote:
27 May 2024, 14:48

Monaco was very often decided on Saturday. Everyone knows that and it's okay.
That's why it's the iconic Monaco.
(...)
Monaco is iconic for races from many many years ago, Senna is probably main responsible, but not only Ayrton. Since then, wich coincidentally is since aero became key in F1, it´s been an extremelly boring GP. That´s more than 2 decades ago! :wtf:

(...)
Monaco was iconic long before Senna.
However, you are right, his mesmerising laps, in which he said he drove through the streets and alleyways almost subconsciously, made some people realise that the fascination of Monaco is not dozens of overtaking manoeuvres and that this Grand Prix should be assessed differently.
I realise that not everyone has this understanding.
But demands from some TV viewers to remove this weekend from the racing calendar because they don't feel sufficiently entertained... absurd.
And it's not going to happen.
Except that´s not true any longer, only for Q but not on race day when they´re so slow even a GP2 could be part of the grid (exageratting, but way less than you might think)

About the absurd part of being enterntained... what´s the reason you think TV pay millions for the rights, and earn million by subscriptors? Because they´re entertained. If that´s not true any longer...

bluechris wrote:
30 May 2024, 00:16
I get your point, and even agree. Problem is when you notice they´re racing so slow, that´s not a challenge anymore.

Just to ilustrate, when was last racing mistake you remember on Monaco race day? I mean, racing mistake from a driver going as fast as possible, not crashes from overtake attempts. I sincerely can´t remember

If they don´t make mistakes because they´re not running any close to their maximum race pace, sunday becomes a formality. Basically Monaco is the culprit of modern F1 problems, it only entertain those who don´t know how easy is doing laps 5 seconds slower than possible, that´s not a challenge for any F1 driver

bluechris

Andres125sx wrote:
30 May 2024, 08:25
chrstphrln wrote:
28 May 2024, 09:15
Andres125sx wrote:
28 May 2024, 08:29

(...)
Monaco is iconic for races from many many years ago, Senna is probably main responsible, but not only Ayrton. Since then, wich coincidentally is since aero became key in F1, it´s been an extremelly boring GP. That´s more than 2 decades ago! :wtf:

(...)
Monaco was iconic long before Senna.
However, you are right, his mesmerising laps, in which he said he drove through the streets and alleyways almost subconsciously, made some people realise that the fascination of Monaco is not dozens of overtaking manoeuvres and that this Grand Prix should be assessed differently.
I realise that not everyone has this understanding.
But demands from some TV viewers to remove this weekend from the racing calendar because they don't feel sufficiently entertained... absurd.
And it's not going to happen.
Except that´s not true any longer, only for Q but not on race day when they´re so slow even a GP2 could be part of the grid (exageratting, but way less than you might think)

About the absurd part of being enterntained... what´s the reason you think TV pay millions for the rights, and earn million by subscriptors? Because they´re entertained. If that´s not true any longer...

bluechris wrote:
30 May 2024, 00:16
I get your point, and even agree. Problem is when you notice they´re racing so slow, that´s not a challenge anymore.

Just to ilustrate, when was last racing mistake you remember on Monaco race day? I mean, racing mistake from a driver going as fast as possible, not crashes from overtake attempts. I sincerely can´t remember

If they don´t make mistakes because they´re not running any close to their maximum race pace, sunday becomes a formality. Basically Monaco is the culprit of modern F1 problems, it only entertain those who don´t know how easy is doing laps 5 seconds slower than possible, that´s not a challenge for any F1 driver
The main problem is not Monaco per se, its the tyres as we all know and secondly that the F1 cars weight like a Bentley and have the size of Mini trucks. This Pirelli joke after FIA instructions has gone too far IMO. We see the same problem so many years in all tracks but noone does anything for this.
Some people here have said to bring a Super Super Super soft tyre at least only for Monaco, that will last max 20 laps no matter how you drive and I wish for that.
In the F2 race, there were times that the lap times there was equal with some laps in the F1 race.... this is madness.