2024 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 05 - 07

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2024 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 05 - 07

bluechris wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 07:16
I think the dynamics of the teams hasn't changed so much in just one race. The green track that is super smooth in conjunction with the low temperature played the biggest role in yesterday result.
If this trend continues for 2-3 races then for sure we have at least a Mercedes come back but simultaneously we have Haas and AM?
Something doesn't add up here that's why i say what i say above.
All of these teams (Merc,Haas,AMR) brought upgraded cars. Mercedes and Aston Martin have more upgrades for Hungary.

The second half of the year will be cats and dogs.

venkyhere
venkyhere

AR3-GP wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 22:19
Juzh wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 22:17
For the first time since 2020 copse was flat in the race. Verstappen did it a few times after he passed norris. Entry ~300 kmh, apex ~286 kmh.
What causes them to scrub so much speed at the apex? Energy must be consumed somewhere. I wonder if you can compare how much speed each car dropped. I suspect the cars with a better front end scrub less.
The issue with RB20 is the stiff front suspension (which is an aero imposed requirement) which is even stiffer than RB19. The performance delta of RB19 from other cars was so much that the RedBull's limitation never fully came to light (it did a bit, in Singapore and LasVegas, Monaco was saved because of that blitzing S3 from Max and poor tyre call by AstonMartin in the race). They wanted to fix it in 2024 and though they improved slow turns, bumps and kerbs became worst. In high speed turns where the slip angle on tyres isn't much (long radius they are) , the aero-press from front wing and floor is keeping the front tyres nailed. In slow and medium turns, where slip angle is more, it doesn't matter even if the front wing and floor produce enough downforce, the suspension is so stiff that the front tyres are not pressing enough into the tarmac. We saw this most recently in Silverstone, low track temps and greasy with water => even more glaring this adhesion limitation is. This is understeer - tyre sliding more and heating up more, graining up more etc. On dry and hot track (Austria), this limitation gets masked.

And because they have to 'match' the rear somewhat with front, in the interest of balance, they have to make the rear stiff too => low speed traction from corner exits too suffers in low track temps and greasy tarmac.

Of course, this verbal diarrhoea of mine, is 'armchair theory'.

GrizzleBoy wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 22:20
organic wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 21:23
Looking at oscar's pace on the mediums, Lando would've won had they fitted new mediums on the car
But looking at Landos pace on the softs..............that's what I'm saying. If the mediums were going to be faster, it would have been "slower in the beginning, but faster over the stint" type faster.

But dropping his pace to medium tyre levels would've just put him in Maxs clutches earlier on, with a more durable tyre to fight with Max with, putting even more of a buffer behind Lewis as they battled away.
The popular opinion right now is "McLaren went on used S instead of new M for Lando, and the win was gone with that". I don't think it's that simple. Remember Hamilton was on used S as well, and McLaren is car that is good with tyre longevity on any track at any temperature, on any compound, so there was no reason to suspect that despite Hamilton's tyre whisperer credentials, Lando wouldn't have caught him. Afterall, a marginal tyre choice is a lottery, despite all the algorithms and models at their disposal, especially on a low temp track.
I think the real reason Lando lost pace on used S was his out-lap. He hammered it straightaway and took life out of it. Whereas Hamilton was gentler. This, I think is the reason he couldn't catch and pass Hamilton for the lead, which would have given him a nice "buffer" between himself and a rampaging Max who didn't need to bother anything about tyre life and could thrash his new H right from put exit, as it boiled down to 12-13 continuous quali-style attack laps for him.

Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 22:45
Great to see a has-been driver beat his better young-gun team mate and then go on to beat the best driver in the history of the world ever driving a faster car. Quite something for a tired old lag. No wonder he was emotional at setting yet another record.
Mate, the emotion is understandable, but calling the RedBull the faster car is plain wrong. The McLaren was the fastest car, the Mercedes a close second (because of the low track temps) and the Redbull a distant third, yesterday, on that low temp greasy track with changing weather. It was purely strategy class from Redbull and strategy blunders from McLaren (who, I'm noticing are never the first ones to pit proactively and force others to follow, they are always 'reacting', sometimes two laps later even when the dropping laptimes are staring them in the face) that pumped Max upto the podium. On performance merit, the Redbull deserved only P5/P6.

Dunlay wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 03:07
PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 01:09
Norris simply hasn't been in enough fights for the win but he will learn. If we actually think about it, he is immature racing wise and is not really ready to fight for a championship till he gets a few more wins under his belt and doing so in a more commanding fashion too..
What a difference a year makes! Same guy kept a charging Mercedes of Lewis on better tyres behind and took 2nd last year. :lol: He doesn't lack anything in racing terms. The equipment plays a big role and this race, the car didn't do well on Softs. Seems like Medium tyre was better on a green track as Piastri had better pace.
Agree, I too think this 'botched it up' is blown out of proportion. Remember, fighting for P1 is not only new for Lando, it's also new for the team as a whole (for the majority of the people currently there, please dont bring in Ron Dennis era). I am confident the human machinery will work flawlessly in the 2nd half of 2024 and in 2025, McLaren & Lando are most likely the dominant force.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Just_a_fan wrote:
Great to see a has-been driver beat his better young-gun team mate and then go on to beat the best driver in the history of the world ever driving a faster car. Quite something for a tired old lag. No wonder he was emotional at setting yet another record.
The key bit of performance from Lewis was when he removed a few tenths when the track got wet and George was tentative, Lewis was a bit bold. That then gave him DRS to pass George. In dry, George managed to keep Lewis behind with a bit in hand. Rest is Mercedes messing the strategy to box a lap late while Max called the stop at the right time.

SiLo

Just_a_fan wrote:
Just waiting for someone to miss the sarcasm.
Felipe Baby!

Luscion
Luscion

Sieper

Dunlay wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 10:30
Just_a_fan wrote:
The key bit of performance from Lewis was when he removed a few tenths when the track got wet and George was tentative, Lewis was a bit bold. That then gave him DRS to pass George. In dry, George managed to keep Lewis behind with a bit in hand. Rest is Mercedes messing the strategy to box a lap late while Max called the stop at the right time.
To me the last stint on used reds was brilliant by Lewis. Not saying the earlier stints weren’t but how early on did George start to loose power? Toto (yeah I know) said they could already see it much earlier on.

PlatinumZealot

Hoffman900 wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 01:11
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Norris simply hasn't been in enough fights for the win but he will learn. If we actually think about it, he is immature racing wise and is not really ready to fight for a championship till he gets a few more wins under his belt and doing so in a more commanding fashion too..
Lando has a ton of experience in ultra competitive, basically spec, junior series, more than George, and much more than Max, I’m not sure I can chalk this up as an excuse, and I’d argue he should be more mature in wheel to wheel race craft having spent more time in them.

I think he’s a little flustered being at the front of F1 / being put in these situations, but he is definitely not lacking experience.

Thats the theory of it, but in actual F1 over all these years of watching him, he doesn't strike me as fully hardening his knuckles yet in wheel to wheel combat.

And im the first guy to say he is the the quickest driver in 2024. But for sure Norris is still a baby when it comes to commanding a race.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Spoutnik wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 11:30
copyright strike.

Sieper

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 03:29
Hoffman900 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Lando has a ton of experience in ultra competitive, basically spec, junior series, more than George, and much more than Max, I’m not sure I can chalk this up as an excuse, and I’d argue he should be more mature in wheel to wheel race craft having spent more time in them.

I think he’s a little flustered being at the front of F1 / being put in these situations, but he is definitely not lacking experience.

Thats the theory of it, but in actual F1 over all these years of watching him, he doesn't strike me as fully hardening his knuckles yet in wheel to wheel combat.

And im the first guy to say he is the the quickest driver in 2024. But for sure Norris is still a baby when it comes to commanding a race.
To me he has been too hard the last races. Spain opening straight, putting Max on the grass, why? With the risk of a Rosberg/Hamilton Spain 16 crash. Austria, yes, Max defended (too) hard but then just veer off with him and accelerate earlier on into the 3rd drs segment. Overtake done. Now he insisted on not giving way like he felt he needed to prove a point to people who keep saying he is too soft. I don’t think he is soft at all. He is overly hard on himself, that is sometimes painful to watch, but I don’t agree he is too soft for F1 ar all.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I also believed that Lando was a smart driver who perfectly judged where the battles should be fought, and where to give way but he was heavily criticized for this.

In the last 3 races, he has been overcompensating for the criticisms with mostly negative results.

PlatinumZealot

Sieper wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 18:51
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Hoffman900 wrote:

To me he has been too hard the last races. Spain opening straight, putting Max on the grass, why? With the risk of a Rosberg/Hamilton Spain 16 crash. Austria, yes, Max defended (too) hard but then just veer off with him and accelerate earlier on into the 3rd drs segment. Overtake done. Now he insisted on not giving way like he felt he needed to prove a point to people who keep saying he is too soft. I don’t think he is soft at all. He is overly hard on himself, that is sometimes painful to watch, but I don’t agree he is too soft for F1 ar all.
I never said he was too soft though. I said he hasn't grown enough in his wheel to wheel battles to point of commanding the track. You can be someone like magnussen who hard and too hard to the point of losing command if his own race. Not many softies in this F1... Maybe Bottas?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 19:16
Sieper wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 18:51
PlatinumZealot wrote:

I never said he was too soft though. I said he hasn't grown enough in his wheel to wheel battles to point of commanding the track. You can be someone like magnussen who hard and too hard to the point of losing command if his own race. Not many softies in this F1... Maybe Bottas?
You said Lando didn't "fully harden his knuckles" and called him a baby :lol:

PlatinumZealot

You harden your knuckles by training thousands of times, mastering a punch! When you deliver that punch it's game over!

He has been very clumsy in making decisions and getting moves done when a win is on the line.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Luscion
Luscion

Video from F1, has the radio messages from the top 4 and others for14 laps