2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Paa

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Henk_v wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 13:22
I am not so much into gossip or rumours, and tend to skip any post related to Horner's situation. Yet having been around for a few years in corporates, I am fully confident about what I think I see; Horner is gunning for Domencali's seat.

He is under seige and narrowly saved his seat by winning the internal power struggle. But he knows there is a big element in the organisation now that has been forced to accept his authority. He is no longer the celebrated saviour of RB. This means he may not survive a next attack.

Het has been with red bull for (18?) Years in this position and there is no way up internally. He needs an exit.
If he is really planning to leave soon, it was a really big mistake to let Wheatley go.
He would be natural successor.

edit: btw, I don't see him wanting to leave, he has big plans with Red Bull. That's why he is fighting for the majority.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

“I think that recent upgrades were aimed at putting load on the car,” he said. “It's disconnected front and rear. And we can see that.

“Our wind tunnel doesn't say that, but the track says that. So it's about getting on top of that, because obviously when you have that, it means you can't trust your tools. So then you have to go back to track data and previous experience.”
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/miss ... /10650818/

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

FittingMechanics wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 11:47
AR3-GP wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 23:08
In theory they can be closer in Baku because no one will use Monza specific wings there, which Red Bull don't have. In Singapore you only have to qualify well. Race pace doesn't matter.

If they can bring a working update to Austin, they can save this season. If they do not, they will lose both championships. Norris doesn't even need to win take 8 points per race.
McLaren brought a new rear wing to Monza but did not use it. They said that the new ultra low drag rear wing is for Baku and that for Monza they realized they needed an low drag rear wing (Spa).

So I wouldn't be surprised if all the teams run Monza like wings in Baku. At least that is how I understood McLaren.
I don't remember any teams using Monza wings in Baku last year except maybe Alpine.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 03 Sep 2024, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

Henk_v
Henk_v

Paa wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 14:26
Henk_v wrote:
I am not so much into gossip or rumours, and tend to skip any post related to Horner's situation. Yet having been around for a few years in corporates, I am fully confident about what I think I see; Horner is gunning for Domencali's seat.

He is under seige and narrowly saved his seat by winning the internal power struggle. But he knows there is a big element in the organisation now that has been forced to accept his authority. He is no longer the celebrated saviour of RB. This means he may not survive a next attack.

Het has been with red bull for (18?) Years in this position and there is no way up internally. He needs an exit.
If he is really planning to leave soon, it was a really big mistake to let Wheatley go.

edit: btw, I don't see him wanting to leave, he has big plans with Red Bull. That's why he is fighting for the majority.
Jos is gunning for his seat, no need for a succession plan.

I dont understand what you mean by majority? He narrowly saved his ass getting the majority shareholder to back his bid to silence his opponents...

Vanja #66

Horner is looking higher up within Red Bull Group personally and wants to expand from F1 operation to hypercar segment, starting with RB17. Red Bull Racing is his life's work and he wants to use it to expand the business unit and has the backing of Thai family for that plan. It's a long term plan to walk a similar path to McLaren and Ferrari, to an extent.

For some reason, as far as I was told, Austrian side wants to keep RBR 100% F1 focused and objects to hypercar expansion. I think it's hard to argue with Thai's logic of using the amazing engineering know-how to expand and create a big and fairly profitable brand which will financially support F1 team as its core, instead of having an F1 team that needs Red Bull sponsorship to function.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

organic

Vanja #66 wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 20:09
Horner is looking higher up within Red Bull Group personally and wants to expand from F1 operation to hypercar segment, starting with RB17. Red Bull Racing is his life's work and he wants to use it to expand the business unit and has the backing of Thai family for that plan. It's a long term plan to walk a similar path to McLaren and Ferrari, to an extent.

For some reason, as far as I was told, Austrian side wants to keep RBR 100% F1 focused and objects to hypercar expansion. I think it's hard to argue with Thai's logic of using the amazing engineering know-how to expand and create a big and fairly profitable brand which will financially support F1 team as its core, instead of having an F1 team that needs Red Bull sponsorship to function.
I think austrian side didnt want f1 team to become corporate / controlled by outsiders fundamentally

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Lawson did 104 laps at Monza with the RB20 for Pirelli 2025 tire test. I'm sure this running was useful for the current problems even if the tires are different.

Watto
Watto

Henk_v wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 19:56
Paa wrote:
Henk_v wrote:

I dont understand what you mean by majority? He narrowly saved his ass getting the majority shareholder to back his bid to silence his opponents...
Since all that things seem to have settled down, Marko has recommitted to RBR when there was/he was talking about walking away and the infamous Marko clause in Max's contract Marko leaves Max can break contract and leave too. The Austrian side seems to have fallen into line. Aside from Jos.

Unless something somthing else comes of it i don't see him going anytime soon.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Henk_v wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 19:56
Paa wrote:
Henk_v wrote:

The whole episode was created to destabilize Horner and force him to quit. That to stop Horner taking over control of Red Bull GmBH as per his blueprint, backed by Yoovidhya. The Austrian side came up with a plan, but despite it's hooha, the plan failed as Yoovidhya was committed to execute the master plan where Horner would be the CEO and headquarters move to Dubai with many Austrian heads rolling. A truce has been made for the time being, those who created the storm, eventually cleaned it up and now it's an uncomfortable peace. How long is Yoovidhya going to delay his plans is question mark.

Jos is only going to clean the floor if he continues to exist. He is a collateral damage for Austrian side that has no significance. I even doubt Horner is forcing Max out with car starting to underperform. That would eliminate Max and Marko's influence in the team and cut the noise. Short term loss of success would help long term business plans. New driver that would replace Max would be someone that is going to be completely loyal to Horner. That's my 2 cents. Perez and Daniel are going to exist for quite a long time in the team. Reward for loyalty.

Wouter

Liam Lawson completes important test day for Red Bull with VCARB run scheduled

Three F1 teams are carrying out some extra testing on behalf of Pirelli this week, with Mercedes, Red Bull, and VCARB performing the duties on this occasion.

Mercedes and Red Bull are performing the duties on behalf of Pirelli, with the two teams logging the laps and putting in the miles – the tests do not allow for any development or setup work, with the cars running in previously used configurations and only using whichever tyres are laid out for them at any given moment by the tyre manufacturer.

Liam Lawson was behind the wheel of the Red Bull RB20, with George Russell carrying out testing duties on behalf of Mercedes.

While Red Bull and Mercedes return home after Tuesday, Lawson will stay on at Monza as VCARB carries out a day of Pirelli testing on Wednesday – the Kiwi driver being given plenty of opportunity to put in the miles as the prospect of a switch into an F1 cockpit with one of Red Bull’s teams remains a possibility.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/liam-laws ... test-monza

The Power of Dreams!

Rikhart
Rikhart

AR3-GP wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 01:31
Lawson did 104 laps at Monza with the RB20 for Pirelli 2025 tire test. I'm sure this running was useful for the current problems even if the tires are different.

Can't see how, they can't do anything with the car:
Mercedes and Red Bull are performing the duties on behalf of Pirelli, with the two teams logging the laps and putting in the miles – the tests do not allow for any development or setup work, with the cars running in previously used configurations and only using whichever tyres are laid out for them at any given moment by the tyre manufacturer.

SiLo

Rikhart wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 10:48
AR3-GP wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 01:31

Can't see how, they can't do anything with the car:
They just setup the car to a previous raced setup, and then have to leave it there. I'm sure they get data from sensors that they keep, but in terms of actually learning something new, changing the tyres to new ones really won't give them much at all because they have nothing to compare it to.
Felipe Baby!

Vanja #66

Is there any estimate/analysis how much time did Max lose due to lower PU performance in the race? How many laps did he drive like that?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Emag
Emag

Vanja #66 wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 11:52
Is there any estimate/analysis how much time did Max lose due to lower PU performance in the race? How many laps did he drive like that?
If you assume he would be able to hold a 21.7s pace (the first lap out of the last stint), then I guess the PU would have cost him around 0.8s since his pace soon-after stabilized around 22.5s

It's the only obvious spike in laptime and it sticks out compared to the others who pretty much held the same pace they had from the first lap out on new tires, so I guess it's also fair to assume he was only limited by the PU (at least substantially so) on the last stint.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Emag wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 12:00
Vanja #66 wrote:
04 Sep 2024, 11:52
If you assume he would be able to hold a 21.7s pace (the first lap out of the last stint), then I guess the PU would have cost him around 0.8s since his pace soon-after stabilized around 22.5s

It's the only obvious spike in laptime and it sticks out compared to the others who pretty much held the same pace they had from the first lap out on new tires, so I guess it's also fair to assume he was only limited by the PU (at least substantially so) on the last stint.
Piastri on his charge back to Leclerc was doing 22+s? Piastri and Norris managed only two laps under 22s. There is no way that Verstappen would be able to hold a 21.7s pace. That lap was him going for a fastest lap on fresh rubber. I don't think he was undercutting anyone at that moment.

There are 3 laps after that 21.7 where he was running 23s and after that he holds 22.5s. That is only visible time where he was running very different to other laps. Maybe those three laps were lower PU performance or it was during the whole race.