2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Autobahn303
Autobahn303

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

yooogurt wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 09:28
venkyhere wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 08:45
Not following your Q/doubt.
LeClerc to Piastri loss = 0.333 (in-lap) + 2.817 (outlap) + 1.434 (extra lap on M by LEC, v/s extra lap on H by PIA, the actual undercut difference) = total loss of 4.584.
I meant that 2.8 sec were not lost on the outlap, because when Charles left the pitstop there was already 1.4 to Oscar. After analysing it, I came to the conclusion that the 2.8sec Charles lost on the acceleration after the pitlane to the first detection point.
Yes, this is clearly visible in the broadcast. Leclerc exits further ahead but is very slow in couple of first corners because he doesn't know how much grip a cold tire gives. Then Albon catches him and he picks up the pace. I was thinking he has an issue because of how slow he was.

I'm not sure if Leclerc thought that bringing the tire slowly is a bigger advantage or he genuinely was too cautious because of worrying about grip level of the tire.

Henri
Henri

bananapeel23 wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 09:56
Henri wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 09:25
https://x.com/F1GuyDan/status/1835366720623816746? Shows how fast the sf24 has been since the summer break.. its f175 levels pf performance
It's not as good as peak F1-75. The F1-75 was clearly the best car at times on a variety of tracks and utterly dominant in places like Australia, Monaco and Austria. I think it's just a case of Leclerc putting in a much better performance in 2024 and the car not getting destroyed by a TD.
True f175 had higher peaks.. hope the sf25 has the same performance as the f175 in traction.. but yeah leclerc is performing well like in early 2022 season

bananapeel23

Car looks really solid post-Monza. I feel like the overall platform is probably the best in the field now, the car looks just like it did early on in the season. Great downforce, consistently good in all corner types (it has been tried on) and quick on the straights. McLaren is still probably better overall, but I wonder how much of that is due to their wings?

Either way I'm happy to see that Ferrari have gotten over their issues and the car looks to have all of the potential it did early on. It's clearly a great platform and it's a shame that they struggled to find this development direction, because they would be leading the WCC and Leclerc would surely be closer to Max than Norris is if Canada-Austria never happened and he continued bagging P4 or better every race.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

mika vs michael wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 23:20
After so many seasons in F1 Charles should have managed better...even if he got overtaken he had a few chances to overtake. A Verstappen or a Hamilton would try a lunge on the inside instead of trying to get by from the outside. The car stayed at DRS distance for so many laps and the tyres held so many laps. Ferrari was 0.3s at least faster...
Verstappen or Hamilton in the same car as Leclerc in the same situation would not have magically pulled out any overtaking move that Leclerc couldn't, against a Mclaren with superior braking(downforce). And if they tried, they probably would have fumbled it or even crashed, perhaps losing a position to Perez behind in the process or worse.

MattLightBlue
MattLightBlue

It was an error of evaluation, first by the team for underestimating undercut and tyre warmup effectiveness from McLaren, then by Leclerc for letting Piastri pass.
Once it was done, Leclerc did half a miracle to stay so close and overtaking again was simply not possible. Just look at how he was able to defend against Perez to have a measure of how hard he was trying against Piastri.

yooogurt

As frustrating as it is, it's still a nice feeling to miss out on a win because of our mistakes, in a 4 car with a team that supposedly doesn't know how to upgrade. :D
FORZA FERRARI!

Shader

Autobahn303 wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 09:59
Such a cool video... I can see this appearing in Drive to Survive for sure :D

bananapeel23

yooogurt wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 12:24
As frustrating as it is, it's still a nice feeling to miss out on a win because of our mistakes, in a 4 car with a team that supposedly doesn't know how to upgrade. :D
Exactly. It sucks to lose, but the drivers championship was never on and it's better to have a good car and lose out because of mistakes than because it's slow and becuase the team keeps making strategy mistakes. The car is there or thereabouts now. Ferrari has probably been the best operationally out of the top 3 this season, which is incredible. Leclerc is having an incredible season.

I'd rather see them lose becuase Leclerc makes a tiny mistake than because the car lacks pace.

ScuderiaLeo

Henri wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 06:53
Oscar outclassed leclerc in a slower car.. sainz catching perez showed how fast the car was
The car was rapid in clean air. Sainz did great utilizing this to catch up to Perez. Leclerc, however, was not in clean air and physically could not go that quickly, and it'd be beating a dead horse to discuss why overtaking was so difficult. It's the same thing that happened to Piastri in Zandvoort, ironically behind Leclerc. It's good to know the pace was there though, and I hope Ferrari are starting to realize how important track position is.

bananapeel23 wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 12:35
Exactly. It sucks to lose, but the drivers championship was never on and it's better to have a good car and lose out because of mistakes than because it's slow and becuase the team keeps making strategy mistakes. The car is there or thereabouts now. Ferrari has probably been the best operationally out of the top 3 this season, which is incredible. Leclerc is having an incredible season.

I'd rather see them lose becuase Leclerc makes a tiny mistake than because the car lacks pace.
This is Leclerc's 4th podium in a row. He is the only person this season to have 4 podiums in a row other than Verstappen! And up until this race, Sainz hadn't been out of the top 6 even once since Canada. Both the drivers are in fantastic form. I have full faith that they will take advantage of whatever pace the car has when the circumstances are right. We saw this in Leclerc's first stint and Sainz's second one.

Vasseur made a subtle comment about the upgrades coming in Austin yesterday, so it sounds like things are on track for that package. I am ridiculously curious what they have planned for the supposed new wing. I am also curious if the FIA will suddenly decide these wings are illegal once Red Bull and Ferrari bring them, should it be similar to McLaren's.

yooogurt

Autobahn303 wrote:
It was an epic battle, like the good old days with McLaren. I really enjoyed it.
FORZA FERRARI!

Fakepivot
Fakepivot

Shader wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 12:25
Autobahn303 wrote:
Such a cool video... I can see this appearing in Drive to Survive for sure :D
sick, i disliked last year DtS, wish this year its better. No fake spark sound and misplacing radio clip etc..

Farnborough
Farnborough

Definitely the racing most would want to see.

Not everyone with the outcome they'd prefer, but a real classic race to watch i feel.

Sphere3758
Sphere3758

Something to be said about Leclerc's clean racing as well. Whether it is Hamilton, Perez, Verstappen or Piastri, he is able to battle in such an engrossing aggressive but clean manner. It almost feels like the other drivers trust him more too, to not do something stupid. It is always such a spectacle when he is in a W2W battle!

wowgr8
wowgr8

bananapeel23 wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 09:56

It's not as good as peak F1-75. The F1-75 was clearly the best car at times on a variety of tracks and utterly dominant in places like Australia, Monaco and Austria. I think it's just a case of Leclerc putting in a much better performance in 2024 and the car not getting destroyed by a TD.
Spain :'(