2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
codetower

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Congrats on the race win yesterday. As frustrating as it was for me, glad it was McLaren and not RB or Merc.

You guys have a talent in Piastri. He pulled a brilliant move on Lando last time out, and this time against my man Charles. Those aren't two scrub drivers... kudos. Looking forward to some more great battles between us.

mwillems

codetower wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 15:05
Congrats on the race win yesterday. As frustrating as it was for me, glad it was McLaren and not RB or Merc.

You guys have a talent in Piastri. He pulled a brilliant move on Lando last time out, and this time against my man Charles. Those aren't two scrub drivers... kudos. Looking forward to some more great battles between us.
Looking forward to more battles. Guess we let you have Monza so you could look good in front of your fans 😉
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Emag wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 14:52
taperoo2k wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 14:34
Same old cat and mouse game between the FIA and the teams over the grey areas of the rules. Something is legal until the FIA decides it's illegal.
Not sure why people are getting so worked up over it. It's not as though McLaren are doing anything like Benneton did in
the 90's.
It’s pretty on character for this sport to hate on the team that is winning, especially if that team is not the team you support.

Everybody enjoys the story of the underdog until they start winning a little bit too much. You think Aston would have received love from everyone if they had started winning races and challenging for the championship this year? No, they would have been under scrutiny and something would have popped up at some point to rile up the people against them.

Competitive cars are competitive for multiple reasons. Sometimes the reasons are complicated and in the gray area when it comes to rules.

People will then spin narratives and come up with reasons to make the said team the villain and undeserving of their success (i.e the “spirit of the rules” argument).

It’s all a facade though. Essentially it all boils down to:
I don’t like this team, they’re doing something which dances around the rules, I now hate this team because it’s taking wins away from the team I actually like to win.

This literally has happened every era of the sport and it will continue to be like this.
I think what we've seen over the past 2 years is fairly normal. McLaren have figured out the regulation set and have improved the car over time with each new update. While RedBull has gone backwards.

If you understand the sport, then you know the spirit of the rules is just a "Look over there" argument when a rival team doesn't have a clue what another team is doing and hopes the FIA finds something. I'm sure this argument over the rear wing flexing will continue long after this season is over. Quite amusing really, given active aero is coming in 2026.

CjC
CjC

One could say McLaren have stolen a march already on the active aero :lol: :lol:
Just a fan's point of view

NiyolHuayra
NiyolHuayra

Any news when the Mastercard logo will appear on the cars?

Jaisonas
Jaisonas

taperoo2k wrote:
Not sure why people are getting so worked up over it.
Because it was decided by the FIA that it's illegal when RBR was doing it.

Emag
Emag

Jaisonas wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 09:21
taperoo2k wrote:
Not sure why people are getting so worked up over it.
Because it was decided by the FIA that it's illegal when RBR was doing it.
Except that it wasn’t. They introduced stricter tests because RedBull’s wing flexing was excessive. RedBull then had to bring wings that complied with those tests within 3 race weekends (by the French GP).

Statement by FIA :
3.9.9 – In order to ensure that the requirements of Article 3.8 are respected, the FIA reserves the right to introduce further load/deflection tests on any part of the bodywork which appears to be (or is suspected of), moving whilst the car is in motion

Ironically, RedBull won the French GP regardless :
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/red-b ... s/6599539/

McLaren’s wing complies with the tests. If FIA decides to introduce even stricter tests because they don’t think its enough, then they will be forced to remove it too.

Very simple.

mwillems

Exactly. And it's worth noting that Mclaren are being clever. They appear to be looking at what other people are doing, and just doing it a little bit more. By exercising restraint and not greed they get to keep a little advantage for a while. I'd be surprised if the front and rear wing are the only two places it happens. Not necessarily just in flex, but around little bits of scope creep any any of the perceived tolerances of the design.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Henri
Henri

https://x.com/FDataAnalysis/status/1835672406620344419 incredible gained 1.8 seconds in upgrades in a year.. McLaren's cfd simulating software must be leagues ahead (cadence) .. peter pro and co are doing a brilliant job

_cerber1

crapu7
crapu7

Are we expecting the new floor in Singapore?

Emag
Emag

crapu7 wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 15:37
They don’t want to say anything, but there is a big break to Singapore. Last year they also brought an important package there so maybe its the ideal choice for the best correlation.

mclaren111

Most probably for COTA... Over a month away...

Macklaren
Macklaren

Emag wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 16:18
crapu7 wrote:
They don’t want to say anything, but there is a big break to Singapore. Last year they also brought an important package there so maybe its the ideal choice for the best correlation.
Singapore is this weekend. Will most likely be Austin like all the other teams

Emag
Emag

Macklaren wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 17:55
Emag wrote:
17 Sep 2024, 16:18
crapu7 wrote:
Singapore is this weekend. Will most likely be Austin like all the other teams
Oh wow, thank you for reminding me. I thought we were going to wait a month for the next one.