2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dialtone
dialtone

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

SilviuAgo wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 02:21
dialtone wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 01:57
Joel709 wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 01:49

Not true, max was 2 tenths up in sector one, then lost about 0.03 in sector 2
I'm not sure what data you have to say that, but Max lost 0.186s in S2 and was up 0.172.

https://i.imgur.com/QxwjsCG.png

Max was about +0.014 after S2 and NOR S3 was a purple one 0.2s faster than any S3 from Max throughout the weekend.
From where do you take this data?
FastF1 which takes it from the f1 app.

SilviuAgo

dialtone wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 02:27
SilviuAgo wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 02:21
dialtone wrote:

I'm not sure what data you have to say that, but Max lost 0.186s in S2 and was up 0.172.

Max was about +0.014 after S2 and NOR S3 was a purple one 0.2s faster than any S3 from Max throughout the weekend.
From where do you take this data?
FastF1 which takes it from the f1 app.
Tks :wink:

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

From the race:
"But would Verstappen have pipped Norris for pole had Russell not crashed? His time up to the end of sector 2 (mid-way between Turns 12-13) was still 0.014s shy of Norris’ first run. In fact it was slightly slower at that point than Max’s own first run. But he was beginning to gain time in the remaining long corners which follow just before the yellow flags. It’s feasible he could have made that deficit to Norris up in the final sector. But not certain. "

dialtone
dialtone

FittingMechanics wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 08:24
From the race:
"But would Verstappen have pipped Norris for pole had Russell not crashed? His time up to the end of sector 2 (mid-way between Turns 12-13) was still 0.014s shy of Norris’ first run. In fact it was slightly slower at that point than Max’s own first run. But he was beginning to gain time in the remaining long corners which follow just before the yellow flags. It’s feasible he could have made that deficit to Norris up in the final sector. But not certain. "
if they are using fastf1 data or f1-tempo for this (which they are of course), unfortunately it's not THAT reliable because Max went to the pits at the end of the lap instead of the start line which changes the length of track and will change the overlaps for the entire lap. The only thing you can really say for certain is that he was +0.014s after S2.

Watto
Watto

dialtone wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 09:08
FittingMechanics wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 08:24
From the race:
if they are using fastf1 data or f1-tempo for this (which they are of course), unfortunately it's not THAT reliable because Max went to the pits at the end of the lap instead of the start line which changes the length of track and will change the overlaps for the entire lap. The only thing you can really say for certain is that he was +0.014s after S2.
It would have been tight Lando would’ve probably held but Max did make a mistake on his previous attempt on turn 19 and was 0.031s off nail that last corner and who knows - it was a damn good lap by Lando though

Seerix
Seerix

Darth-Piekus wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 01:17
Norris definately had one more tenth as he lost time on that corner near the end. It was a nasty snap of oversteer.
Lando post quali: "Very likely the best lap of my career, I got everything out of the car."

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

Has anybody delved in to will Joseph's radio message to lando just before q3? He was telling him to just push and trust the car ( something along those lines)

First time in a long while norris hasn't felt like he can trust the car? Perhaps the new wing has changed things in that regard.

Emag
Emag

I thought they overestimated the smoothness of the track from the resurfacing and that’s why they were running quite stiff, but it’s probably a balance thing and they can’t go softer without sacrificing speed, otherwise it would have changed for quali.

Car was so bouncy and edgy at some bumps, one little mistake under braking and you’re screwed.

Maybe it will be a bit better with more fuel onboard, but if it remains like that it’s hard for the driver to be consistent.

At the moment, it just looks like the car doesn’t like this track that much. Let’s see how they will do in Mexico with presumably more significant upgrades too.

bauc

Mcl_G10 wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 10:16
Has anybody delved in to will Joseph's radio message to lando just before q3? He was telling him to just push and trust the car ( something along those lines)

First time in a long while norris hasn't felt like he can trust the car? Perhaps the new wing has changed things in that regard.
I guess he was not confident in the car for the first time since Miami upgrade?
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

BMMR61

Once again COTA's sinking soil have struck. You can do all the "resurfacing " you like but if the sub-base is unstable then that allows the base course and top layer to sink with it. This may prove to be an outlier for McLaren's post Miami car, or alternately may prove to show the team has learnt enough about setup changes to come back from poor sessions as Red Bull and Mercedes have done often enough. Today was a good recovery - part one getting better balance for the Sprint, and part two getting further tweaks to get close to Max. If McLaren are to become a championship winning outfit then this trait is essential.

I doubt that within the Sprint weekend format (yes all teams face the same challenge) McLaren will have found enough in setup analysis to make the car a Red Bull beater tomorrow. When you factor in that the RB20 is clearly working better (this is a three race trend) we need realistic expectations. I'm almost (not quite!) hoping that a battling second to Max tomorrow will bring some reality to the dreamers who think Lando being WDC is a reasonable dream. It isn't unless Max and/or RB bottle it. I hope we can calm down a bit and think in terms of a realistic (not guaranteed) WCC being on the table.

Seerix
Seerix

bauc wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 11:21
Mcl_G10 wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 10:16

I guess he was not confident in the car for the first time since Miami upgrade?
Exactly, this question was asked in the post quali press conference. NOR just did not feel comfortable/confident in the car during the weekend and Q1/Q2, so it was just an encouragement from Will.

Juzh

dialtone wrote:
Joel709 wrote:
dialtone wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 01:42

NOR would have been on pole no matter what. Both VER and most certainly SAI were behind NOR's time.

You're saying as if S3 from norris couldn't be beat. In first Q3 run Verstappen lost 1,5 tenths to his own previous best lap from Q2 in T19, which admittedly was a costly mistake in end, but saying pole wasnt on is not true. Pole was still within reach after S2 by about a tenth with a clean S3. That's assuming norris doesn't improve himself by a similar amount obviously.

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 11:16
I thought they overestimated the smoothness of the track from the resurfacing and that’s why they were running quite stiff, but it’s probably a balance thing and they can’t go softer without sacrificing speed, otherwise it would have changed for quali.

Car was so bouncy and edgy at some bumps, one little mistake under braking and you’re screwed.

Maybe it will be a bit better with more fuel onboard, but if it remains like that it’s hard for the driver to be consistent.

At the moment, it just looks like the car doesn’t like this track that much. Let’s see how they will do in Mexico with presumably more significant upgrades too.
I’m half expecting to look at my phone tomorrow morning and see that one/ both of the Mclarens have been disqualified for excessive plank wear😬
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

BMMR61 wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 11:36
Once again COTA's sinking soil have struck. You can do all the "resurfacing " you like but if the sub-base is unstable then that allows the base course and top layer to sink with it. This may prove to be an outlier for McLaren's post Miami car, or alternately may prove to show the team has learnt enough about setup changes to come back from poor sessions as Red Bull and Mercedes have done often enough. Today was a good recovery - part one getting better balance for the Sprint, and part two getting further tweaks to get close to Max. If McLaren are to become a championship winning outfit then this trait is essential.

I doubt that within the Sprint weekend format (yes all teams face the same challenge) McLaren will have found enough in setup analysis to make the car a Red Bull beater tomorrow. When you factor in that the RB20 is clearly working better (this is a three race trend) we need realistic expectations. I'm almost (not quite!) hoping that a battling second to Max tomorrow will bring some reality to the dreamers who think Lando being WDC is a reasonable dream. It isn't unless Max and/or RB bottle it. I hope we can calm down a bit and think in terms of a realistic (not guaranteed) WCC being on the table.
Said it in the Red Bull thread after quali.
Verstappen is fine for the WDC now.
He’ll out score Lando today and even if McLaren bring a nice upgrade which puts them half a second clear of the field, it looks like Max has Ferrari and Mercedes covered now.

As you say, the WCC isn't a shoe in either.
I doubt we’ll see a Mclaren on the podium today even starting from pole…. And Oscar… from being the top points scorer over the last 7-8 races looks absolutely no where near a podium it seems in Austin
Just a fan's point of view

Joel709
Joel709

dialtone wrote:
Joel709 wrote:
dialtone wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 01:42

NOR would have been on pole no matter what. Both VER and most certainly SAI were behind NOR's time.

As he lifted off max was up by about 0.130, excuse the 1. As it’s a glitch, can also see it aligns with his off throttle moment due to the yellow.