2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Joel709
Joel709

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Joel709 wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 12:28
dialtone wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 01:57
Joel709 wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 01:49

Not true, max was 2 tenths up in sector one, then lost about 0.03 in sector 2
I'm not sure what data you have to say that, but Max lost 0.186s in S2 and was up 0.172.

https://i.imgur.com/QxwjsCG.png

Max was about +0.014 after S2 and NOR S3 was a purple one 0.2s faster than any S3 from Max throughout the weekend.
As he lifted off max was up by about 0.130, excuse the 1. As it’s a glitch, can also see it aligns with his off throttle moment due to the yellow.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

CjC wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 11:49
Emag wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 11:16
I thought they overestimated the smoothness of the track from the resurfacing and that’s why they were running quite stiff, but it’s probably a balance thing and they can’t go softer without sacrificing speed, otherwise it would have changed for quali.

Car was so bouncy and edgy at some bumps, one little mistake under braking and you’re screwed.

Maybe it will be a bit better with more fuel onboard, but if it remains like that it’s hard for the driver to be consistent.

At the moment, it just looks like the car doesn’t like this track that much. Let’s see how they will do in Mexico with presumably more significant upgrades too.
I’m half expecting to look at my phone tomorrow morning and see that one/ both of the Mclarens have been disqualified for excessive plank wear😬
If pessimism had a long lost relative....
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

CjC
CjC

Ground Effect wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 12:37
CjC wrote:
Emag wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 11:16
I thought they overestimated the smoothness of the track from the resurfacing and that’s why they were running quite stiff, but it’s probably a balance thing and they can’t go softer without sacrificing speed, otherwise it would have changed for quali.

Car was so bouncy and edgy at some bumps, one little mistake under braking and you’re screwed.

Maybe it will be a bit better with more fuel onboard, but if it remains like that it’s hard for the driver to be consistent.

At the moment, it just looks like the car doesn’t like this track that much. Let’s see how they will do in Mexico with presumably more significant upgrades too.
I’m half expecting to look at my phone tomorrow morning and see that one/ both of the Mclarens have been disqualified for excessive plank wear😬
Hellooo darkness my old friend :twisted:
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

Stella confirming what we are thinking, that this track isn’t best suited to the Mclaren- I guess there aren’t many medium speed corners in Austin is there? Mainly low and high speed ones?

Stella
‘But Norris nevertheless hailed how McLaren had “improved the car quite a bit” with its post-sprint set-up changes. This centres on how the team has “understood how to adapt to the wind”, per team principal Andrea Stella.
This was something that had left the Italian fearing Austin would be the track of the remaining six venues in the 2024 title run in where he had expected the MCL38 to “struggle most”.’

Actually the whole article is good, there are some positives about McLarens prospects too, how lando has the chance to run in free air and look after his tyres more than the sprint, his mediums in the sprint had done an extra push but aborted lap in sprint quali which would have increased tyre deterioration.

Also I didn’t know Verstappen had gone for a bigger rear wing- no wonder he’s mega in S1.

Full article:
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/what- ... /10664841/
Just a fan's point of view

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

dialtone wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 09:08
FittingMechanics wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 08:24
From the race:
"But would Verstappen have pipped Norris for pole had Russell not crashed? His time up to the end of sector 2 (mid-way between Turns 12-13) was still 0.014s shy of Norris’ first run. In fact it was slightly slower at that point than Max’s own first run. But he was beginning to gain time in the remaining long corners which follow just before the yellow flags. It’s feasible he could have made that deficit to Norris up in the final sector. But not certain. "
if they are using fastf1 data or f1-tempo for this (which they are of course), unfortunately it's not THAT reliable because Max went to the pits at the end of the lap instead of the start line which changes the length of track and will change the overlaps for the entire lap. The only thing you can really say for certain is that he was +0.014s after S2.
Exactly.

Hard to say where it would end up but VER was worse by about 0.06s on his second run in first two sectors. So he needed to earn at least 1 tenth compared to his previous S3. Might be possible but not a sure thing.

Sainz would be surely behind Norris.

chrisc90

FittingMechanics wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 13:14
dialtone wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:
From the race:
"But would Verstappen have pipped Norris for pole had Russell not crashed? His time up to the end of sector 2 (mid-way between Turns 12-13) was still 0.014s shy of Norris’ first run. In fact it was slightly slower at that point than Max’s own first run. But he was beginning to gain time in the remaining long corners which follow just before the yellow flags. It’s feasible he could have made that deficit to Norris up in the final sector. But not certain. "
if they are using fastf1 data or f1-tempo for this (which they are of course), unfortunately it's not THAT reliable because Max went to the pits at the end of the lap instead of the start line which changes the length of track and will change the overlaps for the entire lap. The only thing you can really say for certain is that he was +0.014s after S2.
Exactly.

Hard to say where it would end up but VER was worse by about 0.06s on his second run in first two sectors. So he needed to earn at least 1 tenth compared to his previous S3. Might be possible but not a sure thing.

Max was up on his own time on his 2nd run in Q3. Max was 0.039 up on himself.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Mcl_G10 wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 10:16
Has anybody delved in to will Joseph's radio message to lando just before q3? He was telling him to just push and trust the car ( something along those lines)

First time in a long while norris hasn't felt like he can trust the car? Perhaps the new wing has changed things in that regard.
Will Joseph said don't overload the combine. I've seen said that it means to do less turning while braking.

Joel709
Joel709

FittingMechanics wrote:
dialtone wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:
From the race:
Exactly.

See my image above, he was over a tenth up before he had to lift

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

CjC wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 12:47
Ground Effect wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 12:37
CjC wrote:

Hellooo darkness my old friend :twisted:
:lol:
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

chrisc90 wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 13:18
FittingMechanics wrote:
dialtone wrote:

Exactly.

Max was up on his own time on his 2nd run in Q3. Max was 0.039 up on himself.
We can be sure about times until end of S2. In that time he did not improve on his time.

Q3 Sector Times:
Lap 1: Nor: 1:32.330
S1: 24.992
S2: 36.887
S3: 30.451
Ver: +.031
S1: 24.868
S2: 36.986
S3: 30.507
Lap 2:
Ver:
S1: 24.820
S2: 37.073

So S1+S2 for Lando on lap 1 is 61.879.
S1+S2 for Max on lap 1 is 61.854.
S1+S2 for Max on lap 2 is 61.893.

In first two sectors on his last lap he was 0.039s slower than on his first run. It is possible and likely his mistake in S3 that lost him more than that so if he did a good last S3 he may have had pole. He needed 30.436 on his S3 to get pole. That is 0.071 faster than his first S3.

Btw surely when we say "up on his time" we mean he was better in laptime? I'm not a native speaker so maybe I am using it wrong. I see you said 0.039 up on his time which is the number I got but to me.he was down on his time (slower). Can a native speaker clear up what use is correct. :)

Ben1980
Ben1980

Could Max have been faster, maybe. Maybe not. He didn't have a clean run first time, he nay not be clean second time, especially as he was having to push. Russell was up on Lando, they said, but was having to push so hard he lost it

All we do know, is everyone had a chance and Lando was quickest.

( the race will be different I'm sure)

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

I'm not quite sure where optimism levels lie with the race later today.
Surely, if the setup changes made have improved the car to be close enough to max then perhaps finding the 1-2 tenths in race pace is not too much to find to bridge the gap and fight for victory?

There seems to be alot of expectation dampening from the team but the margins are so fine and we also have the unknown of hard tyre pace which can vary between teams.
On the other hand it seems most are resigned to max getting away and us trying told ferrari back and not succeeding and bringing it home in p4 and p5.
We will see.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

That is an overreaction like often here. One good race and we are best in the world, one challenging sprint and we are fourth best.

I think we just don't know enough. It is possible Lando runs away or he struggles a lot. But why not be optimistic? On a weekend where they struggle with setup they have P3 in sprint and pole?

Macklaren
Macklaren

Like Piastri said in Hungary.... Clean air is king. Critical for Lando to stay in front of Max through the first 5 laps

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

Macklaren wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 15:06
Like Piastri said in Hungary.... Clean air is king. Critical for Lando to stay in front of Max through the first 5 laps
It's gonna be very very tough :/