2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bauc

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

PapayaFan481 wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 11:32
OK. On to the next race. Mexico is normally a high DF circuit, similar to Zandvort and Singapore levels.... So that gives me hope that we can be well and truly in the hunt for the win!!
Yes sectors 2 & 3 are High DF and there is where the most of the lap time is found, I'm hoping for a better weekend especially as the fact that we will have 3 practice sessions to set up the car properly and maybe just maybe bring an update to the car.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

chrisc90 wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 13:33
FittingMechanics wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 12:34
I am quite happy with how McLaren dealt with the Verstappen/Norris overtake. They knew overtaking him again will be hard or may end up being forced off again. Instead of being passive and returning the position they stayed ahead and tried to make the gap. This is smart and should be done in the future if this happens again. I think they probably expected to get the penalty but judged that it is worth a risk. I fully agree.

Overtaking Max on the outside will be almost impossible so you just need to use any gray areas to your advantage. Overtaking by being forced off and then getting 5 second gap is such a gray area that Norris can use against Max if this happens again.
Normally it would be 10s. Was only 5 because Max also didn’t remain on track.
If similar happens again, and he remains on track. It’s 10s.

Key point to note - overtake Max on the inside.
I've been shouting that at my TV since Max pushed Leclerc wide in Austria years ago. Always defend the inside, always overtake on the inside. Only way to overtake Max is on the straight or on the inside.

Emag
Emag

Max turns into a manchild when he is not racing with an overly dominant car.

He will continue to use the same dirty tactics for as long as the FIA allows it.
He did the same thing at the start. I blame Lando because he should assume Max will do that at this point and completely cover the inside, but Max literally divebombed and pushed both of them off the track to gift Leclerc P1.

Sore loser of a driver. If he loses out cleanly, like he did at the start reaction, he will resort to ruining both himself and the other driver’s races instead of respectfully keeping to clean racing standards and fight it out on another chance.

A shame for a driver with that talent to have such disgusting racing behaviour.

It’s why I personally like Charles so much more. A beast of a driver, but keeps it clean with his racecraft.

I guarantee you, if it was Max attacking Lando at Baku instead of Charles attacking Oscar, Max would have divebombed and pushed Lando off at T1 while also going off himself and forcefully get the position.

Ben1980
Ben1980

FittingMechanics wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 13:51
chrisc90 wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 12:34
I am quite happy with how McLaren dealt with the Verstappen/Norris overtake. They knew overtaking him again will be hard or may end up being forced off again. Instead of being passive and returning the position they stayed ahead and tried to make the gap. This is smart and should be done in the future if this happens again. I think they probably expected to get the penalty but judged that it is worth a risk. I fully agree.

Overtaking Max on the outside will be almost impossible so you just need to use any gray areas to your advantage. Overtaking by being forced off and then getting 5 second gap is such a gray area that Norris can use against Max if this happens again.

I've been shouting that at my TV since Max pushed Leclerc wide in Austria years ago. Always defend the inside, always overtake on the inside. Only way to overtake Max is on the straight or on the inside.
Didn't Max keep parking himself on the inside though. You have to try something else if obe way is blocked.

basti313
basti313

Ben1980 wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 14:39
FittingMechanics wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 13:51
chrisc90 wrote:

Didn't Max keep parking himself on the inside though. You have to try something else if obe way is blocked.
No chance if Lando would have braked a bit earlier for the switch back. Ver was (similar to Lando in the end) much too late on the brake. The problem is that Ver seems to read mind. Or it was too obvious, that Lando will make the error again to try it on the outside. I do not know...but in the end Ver was on such a bad trajectory that he would not have had any chance to react if Lando would have stopped the car in time. This is not the corner, where you can block the inside as it is super wide.
Don`t russel the hamster!

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 12:38
_cerber1 wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 12:28
I think the biggest takeaway from the Grand Prix is ​​that Red Bull were vulnerable in qualifying and the race. For all the problems McLaren had, our pace wasn't that bad.
The fixed red bull was very similar to the struggling Mclaren.

Unfortunately the Ferrari was ahead of both!
They got a free headstart. if we'd retained position after turn 1 then it would likely have been a different race.

I said beforehand what I thought the pace would be, Tight with Max and Ferrari a bit faster, and suggested that Lap 1 was crucial to a good race and this was spot on. For instance, if we'd stayed ahead then the Ferraris attacking Max would in greater probability given us breathing space to build a gap, at least for a little while, and be further ahead at the time of pitstops. I'm not sure we had the pace to beat Leclerc, but I think we had the pace to be close enough at the end to make him push and to capitalise on any mistakes.

it is how it goes. I'm not happy with how Lando managed T1 on Lap 1, but he's had about 15 lessons now from Max so hopefully next year it will be better :D
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

deargodhelpme
deargodhelpme

Emag wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 14:10
Max turns into a manchild when he is not racing with an overly dominant car.

He will continue to use the same dirty tactics for as long as the FIA allows it.
He did the same thing at the start. I blame Lando because he should assume Max will do that at this point and completely cover the inside, but Max literally divebombed and pushed both of them off the track to gift Leclerc P1.

Sore loser of a driver. If he loses out cleanly, like he did at the start reaction, he will resort to ruining both himself and the other driver’s races instead of respectfully keeping to clean racing standards and fight it out on another chance.

A shame for a driver with that talent to have such disgusting racing behaviour.

It’s why I personally like Charles so much more. A beast of a driver, but keeps it clean with his racecraft.

I guarantee you, if it was Max attacking Lando at Baku instead of Charles attacking Oscar, Max would have divebombed and pushed Lando off at T1 while also going off himself and forcefully get the position.
Yes, Max has the skill to race fairly and does so until he realizes he is not able to keep the position by racing fairly then resorts to these sorts of tactics.

I blame Lando because he should assume Max will do that at this point and completely cover the inside, but Max literally divebombed and pushed both of them off the track to gift Leclerc P1.
I'm starting to think Lando needs to distance himself from Max off track. You can't keep attempting to race someone fairly and have them show no desire to race fairly back and then be buddy-buddy off track later smiling and laughing. Just gives the impression that you're OK with the lack of respect being shown to you.

Seerix
Seerix

This is not HAM vs VER topic, nor is it 2021 topic, please keep it away from here.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Look - you can all get your pants twisted or you can grow up - accept the deal and move on from it.

Lando overtook off the track - how or why he was there adn did it..it's moot - you cannot do that.

Lesson learned

So - less of this tedious moaning, yin yang and even the bring from the dead the issues of years ago.

Some deleting about to happen..so please desist from continuing this argument as it is a road to nowhere
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Darth-Piekus

On another note now that's been established. Does Mclaren have a large package for Mexico?

Emag
Emag

Darth-Piekus wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 16:51
On another note now that's been established. Does Mclaren have a large package for Mexico?
They should have something, presumably a new floor and perhaps more to go with it. I think it was actually confirmed by Houdley, but you never know until you see it on-track.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Quietly confident that we’ll be strong in Mexico - think we’re much better suited to there this season.

mwillems

Emag wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 16:52
Darth-Piekus wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 16:51
They should have something, presumably a new floor and perhaps more to go with it. I think it was actually confirmed by Houdley, but you never know until you see it on-track.
Really, confirmed that upgrades will come to Mexico? I hadn't seen that.

Nice to hear that Mclaren have a big package, hopefully it will help us to perform well and go deep into the season. Can't say I rate Lando's chances of a WDC, in fact I'd say his chances are tiny, but I'm sure we'll all cheer for a happy ending if it comes.

-Bandit

mwillems

Just had a google, unless I'm mistaken, he only says "The next few races". But you'd hope and expect Mexico.

-Bandit

daren_p
daren_p

mwillems wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 17:53
Can't say I rate Lando's chances of a WDC, in fact I'd say his chances are tiny, but I'm sure we'll all cheer for a happy ending if it comes.
I think his chances were always tiny, just media & some fans hyping it up (& other non fans overstating Mclaren's actual speed after Miami).

Curious for Mexico as well, believe they run max DF configuration? If so, Mclaren should normally go well, just wondering what impact, if any the elevation will have on things?