2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

CjC wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 08:31
Emag wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 01:04
mwillems wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 01:00

The % on throttle shows that we were clearly not pushing earlier today.

That said, your chart looks like the normal top.speed gap to Ferrari.
Main straight was almost 10kmh difference to Carlos and about half of that to Leclerc. Still, they're losing under acceleration everywhere. Ferrari should be faster, but not 10kmh faster.
Are you still seeing this lack of top speed on the long run as well?
Reverts to the normal gap, 6kph, with all.the caveats around Friday testing.

That said, they had strict run plans so Ferrari do look faster so far.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

The rules are obviously a mess. And correctly the decision stood.

He clearly overtook off the track though.

I still have no issues with not giving the place back.

I'm starting to think they need to make tge track limits bit very disadvantageous. Like go off at certain areas, you have to follow a path to get back on or it's 20seconds penalty. Make it really harsh.

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 09:21
CjC wrote:
Emag wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 01:04

Main straight was almost 10kmh difference to Carlos and about half of that to Leclerc. Still, they're losing under acceleration everywhere. Ferrari should be faster, but not 10kmh faster.

I believe Ferrari had the C4s compared to the C5s of McLaren. Makes Ferraris one lap pace look even more impressive however it could be an advantage for them when it comes to the long run pace.

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/mark ... 4-session/
Just a fan's point of view

Ben1980
Ben1980

This season could be a start, middle, end of Red Bull, Mclaren and Ferrari.

Though thr narrative will be Lando blew it.

mwillems

CjC wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 09:39
mwillems wrote:
CjC wrote:

I believe Ferrari had the C4s compared to the C5s of McLaren. Makes Ferraris one lap pace look even more impressive however it could be an advantage for them when it comes to the long run pace.

I mean the long runs, which are both on hards at the end, or they are the pirelli tyres.

I'm not sure about tyres. As far as I can see Norris was on mediums for his final fast run at the end of the session and every other run is on hards/pirelli test.

I can read much into it, other than Ferrari always look a little faster.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 09:06
CjC wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 08:22
Nothing is going to change then.
The stewards were always going to find a reason not to review their own decision they obviously have too much pride to admit a mistake.

They could have looked it again and said ‘no there’s no clear evidence to suggest Lando is ahead etc so the penalty stands’ but they just dismiss it straight away.

Madness. We as a sport better brace ourselves for more of this BS this weekend, Mexico often has rough wheel to wheel and it’s inevitable something is going to keep it boiling over as it’s currently in the spotlight.

Yes I am slightly salty fan, if this was happening to another team I wouldn’t have bothered posting.
Being ahead doesn't mean the overtake is over and complete.

Last year at Singapore Hamilton got past Lando to make the apex of a corner having totally cleared Lando. He then used the run off at the next corner after and was deemed to be gaining an advantage when he was the overtake looked way more complete than Landos did.

That one worked in Landos favour. So with that lens, this situation was cut and dry gaining an advantage.

It seems the drivers have planned to discuss the application of the rules, so hopefully it will be looked at, but the stewards call was correct as it is today.
Quite, however my gripe is that they don’t even review because of particular wording or a technicality like Oscars laptime deletion in Q3 in Austria which effectively cost him a win.

I don’t know the particulars of the Hamilton/ Lando move but if Lewis needed the run off on exit to complete the move means he hit the breaks too late to pass and couldn’t keep on track.

I know Lando went off in Austin to ‘complete’ the move but he hit the breaks just/ at the 100m board on the racing line. He effectively overtook Verstappen and would have still made the corner, it was only because Verstappen was ‘playing by the rules’ that everyone ended up off track.

I’m not Verstappen bashing or McLaren defending here, the rules needed looking at- some 3 years too late.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:

Last year at Singapore Hamilton got past Lando to make the apex of a corner having totally cleared Lando. He then used the run off at the next corner after and was deemed to be gaining an advantage when he was the overtake looked way more complete than Landos did.

That one worked in Landos favour. So with that lens, this situation was cut and dry gaining an advantage.

It seems the drivers have planned to discuss the application of the rules, so hopefully it will be looked at, but the stewards call was correct as it is today.
Are you talking about the race start?

In Singapore 2023 Hamilton got the jump on Norris at the start but then was forced off by his teammate Russell after T1, then Hamilton steamed ahead off track around the bollard to join in front of Norris. Runoff at the next corner was 10 meters after T1 - just so everyone is clear. It's not like there was a straight.

The overtake was closer to being complete but at race start, you have to make the corner, being on the outside (and attacker on Russell) by these rules would mean he has to yield and slot behind Russell which would then allow Norris to have a go at him. By going off full speed he stopped Norris from having that opportunity. Maybe a bit harsh on Hamilton but it's no where near a clear situation during the race where two cars fight.

Only reason Max got to the apex first is because he was late on his brakes. This should not allow anyone to force people wide. While I disagree with that rule, this is the current rule. Problem with this situation was that Max was not making the corner, by not making the corner he forced Norris off. Norris did not gain an advantage on Max as Max was behind Norris at corner entry and on a tigher line. It was a done overtake if he was allowed space on the outside.

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 09:49
CjC wrote:
mwillems wrote:

I mean the long runs, which are both on hards at the end, or they are the pirelli tyres.

I'm not sure about tyres. As far as I can see Norris was on mediums for his final fast run at the end of the session and every other run is on hards/pirelli test.

Sorry, are you talking about the long run on the hard in FP1?

I was talking about the long run in FP2. Mclaren looked better in that session compared to the FP1 long run.
Yes it was a Pirelli test but everyone needed to start with 100kg of fuel, Mclaren was on the softer compound and a little bit off the Ferrari, especially in S1 so I was wondering if they are still down on top speed compared to Ferrari because we definitely don’t know what engine settings they are using, if so long run pace looked fairly similar when everything is the same.

mwillems

CjC wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 09:56
mwillems wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 09:49
CjC wrote:

Sorry, are you talking about the long run on the hard in FP1?

I was talking about the long run in FP2. Mclaren looked better in that session compared to the FP1 long run.
Yes it was a Pirelli test but everyone needed to start with 100kg of fuel, Mclaren was on the softer compound and a little bit off the Ferrari, especially in S1 so I was wondering if they are still down on top speed compared to Ferrari because we definitely don’t know what engine settings they are using, if so long run pace looked fairly similar when everything is the same.
I referred to FP2 but I thought the Pirelli tyres were unmarked. We're always down on speed vs Ferrari so it just looks in the normal range for the long run. Since they are running to deltas set by Pirelli I don't reach much more into it.

-Bandit

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 09:55
mwillems wrote:

Are you talking about the race start?

In Singapore 2023 Hamilton got the jump on Norris at the start but then was forced off by his teammate Russell after T1, then Hamilton steamed ahead off track around the bollard to join in front of Norris. Runoff at the next corner was 10 meters after T1 - just so everyone is clear. It's not like there was a straight.

The overtake was closer to being complete but at race start, you have to make the corner, being on the outside (and attacker on Russell) by these rules would mean he has to yield and slot behind Russell which would then allow Norris to have a go at him. By going off full speed he stopped Norris from having that opportunity. Maybe a bit harsh on Hamilton but it's no where near a clear situation during the race where two cars fight.

Only reason Max got to the apex first is because he was late on his brakes. This should not allow anyone to force people wide. While I disagree with that rule, this is the current rule. Problem with this situation was that Max was not making the corner, by not making the corner he forced Norris off. Norris did not gain an advantage on Max as Max was behind Norris at corner entry and on a tigher line. It was a done overtake if he was allowed space on the outside.
Yes. So the move on Norris was way more complete than Landos. So if that move isn't complete, then Landos move wasn't complete.

-Bandit

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

Any feedback on new floor?

_cerber1

Szabi1112 wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 11:39
Stella said that they completed the entire planned program, that's the only thing that is known.

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

_cerber1 wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 11:57
Szabi1112 wrote:
Stella said that they completed the entire planned program, that's the only thing that is known.
Hope the best [-o< [-o< [-o<

BMMR61

_cerber1 wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 11:57
Szabi1112 wrote:
Last time McLaren brought a new floor it was >0.5 seconds. Last few new floors by our competitors have been a bit meh. Hope this one correlates well with the simulations.

bananapeel23

Ben1980 wrote:
26 Oct 2024, 09:48
This season could be a start, middle, end of Red Bull, Mclaren and Ferrari.

Though thr narrative will be Lando blew it.
Because he did.