Sauber C29

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
outer_bongolia

Re: Sauber C29

http://www.autosport.com/gallery/photo.php/id/1324340

The little exhaust holes underneath the sidepod... You can also see how high the intakes are.

There are also three little holes beside the cockpit.
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

Pandamasque

outer_bongolia wrote:http://www.autosport.com/gallery/photo.php/id/1324340

The little exhaust holes underneath the sidepod... You can also see how high the intakes are.

There are also three little holes beside the cockpit.
I think all those cooling gills were in the 2009 car... (or was it Williams?) :oops:

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

You're correct Panda, the F1.09 had those cooling vents right above the floor as well as some more right above the sidepod.

Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

shotzski

Personally i think that Sauber have shot themselvs in the foot a little, missing a glitering opertunity to have brand exposure for a minimal outlay in comparison. But handing over the risk element to another third party.
@Espimperium
yeah you're right. Sauber's decision really got me scratching my head (on the business side of view). He could have used the team's situation into his advantage and have BMW assist them technically and financially, since BMW left him in the cold. That's the least they could do for the team and its employees. In the end they will also gain from this if all turns out well.

Raptor22
Raptor22

I don't think BMW wants the technical association. They allowed their name to remain with the team for 2010 for revenue payout purposes. This is as far as their goodwill goes.
Also 2009's poor performance was only a catalyst for a decision that BMW had been contemplating since 2008 when the full weight of global recession was becoming apparent.

BMW is a pretty small manufacturer when compared to the Volkswagens or Toyota's of this world. Its a privately owned concern that cannot split resources between an F1 program, touring cars, Dakar (they don't even run that one) and develop their hybrid drives and small capacity low pressure turbo's for passenger cars.

When they cut technical ties with F1 thats it. We may still the IPof their engine end up with someone like McLaren or even VW but its a rather poor investment with only two season left to run with the current engine rules.

What BMW did for Sauber is really as good as it was ever going to get. Sauber could have done nothing more.Its a small miracle that the BMW name is allowed to stay with the team for 2010.

Fil

Raptor22 wrote:I don't think BMW wants the technical association. They allowed their name to remain with the team for 2010 for revenue payout purposes. This is as far as their goodwill goes.

..Its a small miracle that the BMW name is allowed to stay with the team for 2010.
I'd say the small miracle is actually the binding Concorde Agreement that has forced the name to remain.

I'm sure if it were up to BMW, their name would not be associated with the team in any way but for history's pages.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Raptor22
Raptor22

Fil wrote:
Raptor22 wrote:I don't think BMW wants the technical association. They allowed their name to remain with the team for 2010 for revenue payout purposes. This is as far as their goodwill goes.

..Its a small miracle that the BMW name is allowed to stay with the team for 2010.
I'd say the small miracle is actually the binding Concorde Agreement that has forced the name to remain.

I'm sure if it were up to BMW, their name would not be associated with the team in any way but for history's pages.

BMW did not sign that Concorde Agreement...

Fil

Agreed, but 2009 TV rights & Constructor cash (which this is all about) was bound by the previous Concorde signing though.

The new one starts as of this season.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Raptor22
Raptor22

Fil wrote:Agreed, but 2009 TV rights & Constructor cash (which this is all about) was bound by the previous Concorde signing though.

The new one starts as of this season.
It was bonded only if the name remained unchanged. The penalty for exit was only introduced once the new agreement was signed so BMW could have walked scot free and Sauber would have to rebrand, loosing out on the TV revenues.

I believe Sauber convinced BMW to retain the branding of the team for one year after the Qadbak deal fell through. If that were successful Sauber would not have needed the TV revenue money. How much would they have earned anyways since they were near the bottom of the pile?.

I maintain that the present situation is all that Sauber could get out of BMW for goodwill toward Hinwill. [see what i did there]

The Concorde Agreement has little to do with Sauber present situation.

The FIA and FOM were keen to retain Sauber as an experience outfit that could deliver should the new entrants fail.
Sauber will most likely race in 2011 under the Sauber banner again unless KIA takes an interest but any OEM link up is unlikely until 2012.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

All i hope is that BMW Sauber get some decent sponsorship money in soon, as the 3 brands they have on the car at current arent bringing in that much:

Bridgestone: $10million cash and $20million technical support (Tyres)
D-Scalp: $3million cash and $500,000 technical support (Health & Beauty products for all traveling team [race team])
Certina: $5million cash and $1million thecnical support (Watches for everyone in the team)

Other than that they will be getting what Brawn had last year from BMW, a $80million compensatory payment as well as the BMW branding for the FOM money and Concorde Aggreement money whitch together will be roughly $30million in total.

So far id recon that their budget will be $128million and about $35million in technical support if you include what they are getting from Ferarri, in $8million for engines and $4.5million for gearbox support as well.

Not to be snuffed at, but they could do with a couple more sponsors as well, a couple that can provide arround $20million in cash will really help BMW Sauber for the rest of the season.

Anyhow, looks like they have a Red Bull/McLaren style shark fin that connects to the rer wing:

Raptor22
Raptor22

imightbewrong wrote:Image

thats a great big diffusor!!

MattyT
MattyT

ESPImperium wrote: Image
Is it raining/damp in valencia? Why the intermediates?

meves
meves

MattyT wrote:
ESPImperium wrote: Image
Is it raining/damp in valencia? Why the intermediates?

It'll be an installation lap, they won't use slicks for that.

MattyT
MattyT

meves wrote:It'll be an installation lap, they won't use slicks for that.
Cool, thanks.