Scarbs T-Tray proposal

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
bill shoe
bill shoe

Re: Scarbs T-Tray proposal

JAllen wrote:Afternoon all, first post on here but have been reading and enjoying for a while.

I came across this picture of a Toro Rosso, which I believe shows a similar wear pattern to that of the Red Bull. I think this is from pre season testing, but not sure. Similar idea or just flexing?

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/wp-c ... TR6upp.jpg
Thanks for the link. Interesting picture. Yea, it's clear there is something clever going on there, not just a plank bolted rigidly to a car.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

"that plank is visually thicker at the worn parts.
especially in the middle of the floor."

You need a better monitor or a vision correction. The plank looks very straight and of uniform thickness.

"The track is quite hot most of the time." Have you ever been to an actual race track? What temperatures do you think are possible, say mid summer day with an ambient of 38c?

Brian

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

"No we don't have to compare cars. They can have the same spring rates and one has twice the downforce, giving twice the suspension movement."

If these are the kind of variables that you believe are possible with the current cars on the F1 grids, then there is no way have a discussion with you on this subject.

Brian

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Pardon me the usual persons :shock: :wtf: :-#

it is as obvious as the balls on a dog that the tongue of the floor is flexing. It mkes perfect sense to have it flexing as much as possible for the reasons already thrashed to death.

Are you guys also expecting some flex from the plank where it is actually under the driver's arse?

It is secured to the floor - which is going to be very stiff.

carry on... :mrgreen:
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Richard
Richard

*sigh* Lets say this again.

The plank section is only 1m long

The tray is roughly 750mm long

We can see on the RB floor that there is a big hole in the floor behind the tray. That will result in area of lower stiffness in the floor.

So the tray can flex without being unduly restrained by the stiff tub.

myurr
myurr

ringo wrote:
myurr wrote: What an irrelevant distraction.
No it's quite relevant. In order forit to behave like the ferrari wing, it must have similar charcteritics. Obviously a plank fastened to a solid tub and splitter won't flex like a foam filled wing.
What the Ferrari wing demonstrates is that it is possible to making flexing carbon fibre bodies that pass the FIAs deflection tests without mechanical mechanisms. That we don't see the splitter flapping about doesn't mean that similar techniques are not in play, just that the splitter is stiffer than the wing.

The 'flapping about' argument is an utterly irrelevant distraction. There is plenty of scope for the splitter to be more flexible than other teams splitters yet stiff enough to not 'flap about'. Insisting otherwise is just trolling.
ringo wrote:
I've never said that it has to be a seesaw mechanism - all I've ever argued with you is that Red Bull are doing something different and that the wear on their plank is different to ALL the other examples you (and others) have been able to find.
Their brake wear is also different too. What can we say about that?
It can be related to so may different things, there is no way to relate it to something as specific as a mechanized floor.
Your whole argument is that the Red Bull plank has the same wear patterns and characteristics as the other cars, something demonstrably false as evidenced by the numerous photos in the rest of this thread.
Image :wink:
Well done, someone else posted a picture of a related car just in the nick of time. So now we can say that Red Bull and Torro Rosso have similar wear, and that Williams and Ferrari (that you ignored in your post) have totally different wear.

Given that there is IP transfer between Red Bull and their sister team, to the extent that it has just been discussed by all the teams because of suspected transfer of IP with the EBD, it's more likely that TR are using the same or similar technique to RB rather than to say every team except Williams and Ferrari are doing so.
ringo wrote:
To argue that it's just suspension is also probably incorrect, and you have done nothing to show how practical this would actually be.
so you have something practical to show about your suspicion?
In fact it is quite easy to show how the softer suspension in the rear could effect the level of the floor. It's also very easy to imagine.
Yes we have something practical to show - the wear patterns on the splitter have been shown, with diagrams on this board and questions posed to the FIA by teams technical directors, to be possibly due to a flexing splitter. I have not seen anyone other than you argue that the RB splitter is just as stiff as everyone elses they are just using softer rear suspension to make the car squat at speed.
ringo wrote:
For a start this would affect the Red Bulls performance in high speed corners and would help their top speed due to reducing the angle of incidence of their wings, which is not backed up by any real world data.
Well what if the wings were designed for that? And what kind of F1 data do you have?
This behavior is probably quite normal. Rear spring rates are usually softer than the front. So this will happen. You also want the back to squat on corner exit for traction. Perfectly feasible suspension setup.
Softer rates are one thing, to have multiple degree changes in pitch will have a serious impact on the aerodynamics and handling.
ringo wrote:
Second you also have to say that the Red Bull front end is much softer than McLaren's, for example, which would make their rear end even softer. Do we have any evidence of this at all?
No we don't have to compare cars. They can have the same spring rates and one has twice the downforce, giving twice the suspension movement.
We are comparing cars because you say that RB aren't doing anything different to the other teams in regards to flexibility of their plank, yet there is evidence that they have different wear patterns. This whole thread is comparing cars.

And if you really think that the Red Bull has twice the downforce then you're on a different planet.
ringo wrote:
Mathematically what angle of rake would be required to support 75cm - 1m of wear along the plank without breaching the wear rules?

It is not 1m of wear. The wear is about 600mm. The holes are 750mm from the edge and the wear stops at about 15 cm from the holes.
Mathematically with strict constraints on suspension movement, there is no rake angle for the board to wear evenly to that length.
If the wear is 650mm and lets say the rake angle is at 1.5 degrees. The deepest wear should be 17mm deep. This would fail instantly. In fact in order to have just 2mm of wear, the rake angle would be 0.176 degrees if we strictly ignore suspension movement and plank toughness.
This doesn't happen in reality though, because the plank is not cheese, and the suspension is independent front to rear. The force on the splitter will simply push back on the car till some arbitrary rake angle is arrived at depending on the shear strength of the plank fibers, the stiffness of the plank/splitter combination.
Were it as simple as that then all the teams would be doing it. At least two aren't. All the planks are supposed to be using the same material, and yet other teams worry more about the amount of wear than Red Bull seem to have to.
ringo wrote:
Given that Red Bull are running the highest level of rake out of all the cars how much would this mean the Red Bull would have to 'squat'? Do we have any photo's at all showing clearly that the Red Bull does this at speed? How does this compare to other teams?

You give this idea as something that solidly explains the wear patterns but have not given any evidence to back up your claims. I would counter that the more logical explanation, the one that fits the evidence seen so far, would be that the Red Bull's plank is flexing more than any other teams.

You just can't say that. Suppose redbull have softer suspension? or.... more downforce?... ahhh!!
Suppose they do - show how it would work, prove it's viable. Rather than just dismissing everyone else as wrong show how you are right.
ringo wrote:
The seesaw is just one mechanism that could allow this. Whether or not it is the correct one is open to debate but if you want us to believe that their plank is not flexing to any greater degree than any other team then you're going to have to produce some evidence and detail to support your claim.
No you have to support your claim. I'm not the conspiracy theorist here.
What a derogatory statement. We're trying to explain a clearly visible phenomenon that you first deny exists at all, then claim is real but is explained by some fanciful suspension setup and a car that squats by several degrees at speed, and now you resort to calling us conspiracy theorists.

Neither of us have anywhere near enough evidence to know one way or the other but the wear patterns are real, are well documented, and are different across the grid. To just dismiss others trying to explain this as conspiracy theorists is incredibly rude, as is spamming a forum saying how everyone else is wrong but then refusing to back up your claims.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

@ Richard and Myurr

=D>

@ ringo

come on man...shall we talk dead zone instead? :mrgreen:
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

ringo

myurr wrote:
What the Ferrari wing demonstrates is that it is possible to making flexing carbon fibre bodies that pass the FIAs deflection tests without mechanical mechanisms. That we don't see the splitter flapping about doesn't mean that similar techniques are not in play, just that the splitter is stiffer than the wing.
The 'flapping about' argument is an utterly irrelevant distraction. There is plenty of scope for the splitter to be more flexible than other teams splitters yet stiff enough to not 'flap about'.
[...]
What scope can you have for a floor that has to be 1 thickness, of a homogenous material, which is bolted to a solid CFRP floor?
I want to hear full details.
Well done, someone else posted a picture of a related car just in the nick of time. So now we can say that Red Bull and Torro Rosso have similar wear, and that Williams and Ferrari (that you ignored in your post) have totally different wear.

Given that there is IP transfer between Red Bull and their sister team,
Really now!! :shock:
What a baseless accusation. IP transfer, that's almost libel.
to the extent that it has just been discussed by all the teams because of suspected transfer of IP with the EBD, it's more likely that TR are using the same or similar technique to RB rather than to say every team except Williams and Ferrari are doing so.
More of the same, make up as you go.
Yes we have something practical to show - the wear patterns on the splitter have been shown, with diagrams on this board and questions posed to the FIA by teams technical directors, to be possibly due to a flexing splitter.

Which technical directors.
Name them and name the teams. You can't can you? Becuase it's all rumours and chinese telephone.

I know ross Brawn asked about the wing fetching dogs of ferarri. Ferrari calls them project Romulus. :lol:
Softer rates are one thing, to have multiple degree changes in pitch will have a serious impact on the aerodynamics and handling.

Tell me how many degrees? Tell me what impact on aero? Why is the impact serious?
How do you determine the border between serious and acceptable?

Put your data forward. Tell me what exactly are you saying. Why say things if you cannot back them up? This kind of posting is getting out of hand.
And if you really think that the Red Bull has twice the downforce then you're on a different planet.
If you think all cars have the same down-force and suspension displacement and movement then you're on a planet without gravity.
Were it as simple as that then all the teams would be doing it. At least two aren't. All the planks are supposed to be using the same material, and yet other teams worry more about the amount of wear than Red Bull seem to have to.
Doing what for what purpose? and which teams are worrying about plank wear?
Snap out of it man, nothing is happening out of the ordinary.
Suppose they do - show how it would work, prove it's viable. Rather than just dismissing everyone else as wrong show how you are right.
It's easy to be fanned away if you don't have any foundation or anchor. This is why it seems like you are being dismissed, but you are not. You are just being asked the right questions.
a car that squats by several degrees at speed
The rake is not more than 1.5 degrees. In fact it's probably less.
Neither of us have anywhere near enough evidence to know one way or the other but the wear patterns are real, are well documented, and are different across the grid.
Well becuase the drivers drive different, and there are things like random stones, random debris, random curb approaches, etc. etc.
What you are doing is akin to reading palms or birthmarks.
To just dismiss others trying to explain this as conspiracy theorists is incredibly rude
Stop trying to make me look like some kind of bad guy to stop me from asking the right things.

It is a conspiracy by definition.
This is a baseless accusation at redbull. It could be rude on anyone's part to approach the FIA openly accusing redbull of using some thinga-majig.
Last edited by Steven on 05 Nov 2011, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Stripped name-calling
For Sure!!

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Ringo

1) You made the statement the the track can get very hot, so what is your estimate? I say that this is just another example of how you are not able to contribute to this conversation.

2) Your position that the varying downforce loads between cars could explain some of the plank wear is very weak. I think it is logical to assume every team is going to spring their car to achieve the best ride hight possible. A team with poor downforce would simply us a softer setup to achieve the ride hight or plank wear that they fell is most advantageous.

Do you have enough understanding of the subject to provide a focused response to this answer?

Brian

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Ringo wrote:

"The rake is not more than 1.5 degrees. In fact it's probably less."

I estimate the rake of the RB7 to be over 3.5 deg based on analysis of photos. How was your estimate made?

Brian

Giblet
Giblet

Its getting sticky in here. Please refrain from the name calling and underhanded remarks. Its a shame because the discussion itself is very sound, with opposing viewpoints hovering around what could be the secret of the RB cars we have been looking for.

Tone down the attacks and digs, and lets all try to keep this thread from being locked or overly moderated, shall we?
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

myurr
myurr

@ringo - in an effort to bring this back on track as a technical discussion I'll try and address your points as impersonally as possible, I would ask you to do the same in return.

1. Historically teams were able to make the bib / t-tray a sprung member which makes it clear that it is possible to bend the plank. Now that the bib stay is no longer allowed to be a sprung part it is entirely reasonable to believe that a similar effect can be achieved through the careful use of manufacturing techniques similar to those used on the front wing. The front wing is a carbon fibre part that passes a deflection test BUT is also able to flex. Red Bull are clearly ahead of the other teams in using this kind of construction for the front wing, it is not exactly a huge stretch of the imagination to believe that they are using similar techniques elsewhere on their car.

For more information on how this used to be done see articles like this one: http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2007/0/396.html

2. IP transfer is something that is very real between Red Bull and Torro Rosso. They are NOT allowed to share parts but they CAN share ideas, knowledge and techniques. As referenced in this article http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/11/w ... o-quickly/ the sharing of IP between Red Bull and Torro Rosso is a very real topic in F1 circles and is being discussed at the highest levels.

3. You can disregard evidence as baseless if you like but I believe scarbs to be a trusted source. He may not always be right but he is very well informed and connected, and hasn't been known to make stuff up. This is also relevant to only one possible method of implementing this, what is clear from the wear on the plank is that the is *something* different about the RB and TR cars from the others that we've seen.

4. Of course the downforce levels are different between the cars as are the suspension settings, however there is no car on the grid that is generating 100% more downforce than all the others. This also wouldn't explain how Torro Rosso are doing the same thing.

5. Based on analysis of several images I estimate the angle of rake to be 1.7 degrees but with some photos showing 2 degrees. By your own estimates to allow for that much wear on the plank the car would need to squat (or be pushed up at the front) to 0.176 degrees, a difference of 1.524 degrees.

Perhaps someone better than me can do the maths and show the amount of force that would be applied to the plank in reducing it's angle of attack by that amount through lifting the front of the car. Intuitively I would believe this to be a great enough force that at 200mph it would cause excessive amounts of wear. However rather than either of us guessing perhaps someone could give us a more informed analysis.

6. All teams worry about wear on the plank, or do you believe there to be no advantage in running the car closer to the ground an / or at higher angles of rake? If you cannot agree that there is an advantage to be had then that's a whole other discussion.

7. The wear patterns on the Red Bull are very clear and are the same across multiple events and cars. This is not down to random stones etc.

I'll ignore the conspiracy theory comments in order to remove the personal elements of this discussion.

ringo

Myuur when i said twice the downforce, that was for illustration.
It was just to show that there are more variables to this than fixed angles.

Sorry for any name calling. Now lets approach this with a diagram first.
For Sure!!

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

myuur

How did you derive your estimate for rake?

I developed a plane for the lower edge of the floor/plank and it happens to line up with the lower edge of the rear rim, while the front of the plane seems to hit the center of the front tire side wall.
The tire are are 660 mm tall with 333 mm rims for a side wall of 163.5 mm. There is some error with side wall deformation, but the rest is simple trig.

Brian

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Williams: