Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Pierce89

Re: Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

Racer X wrote:Their is a huge chance the HONDA Turbo V6 could be amazing. So yes But it still Sad.
The rules are probably gonna keep all the engines roughly equal. I would imagine Mclaren's benefits will be mostly financial. I see no reason to believe the engine will be a competitive advantage.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

gary123 wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:
gary123 wrote:well i would like to hear the words that Martin and Sam have to say at this point of the situation! at the begining of the season they said that the mp4\28 had a great potential! these are bull****! the car is a mess! and even worst they are using the 2014 budget to make the car faster... i dont think what is going on in the team in this last times but they are making a lot of mistakes! this season is goNE and it would be much better to think to next season...
What makes you say they are spending their 2014 budget? If they don't improve, that will hurt their 2014 budget.
i read a couple of weeks ago in a italian article that they are using the 2014 budget to improve the 2013 car...well the car has been modified but there is no improvement. every race that passes the car becams slower...in this last two races we saw how the toro rosso became competitive,and we dont need to mention the force india wich is clearly ahed of the mclaren... :(
If they are using 2014 budget, I would imagine its a trade off to make sure a lack performance now doesn't hurt their 2014 budget even worse by not earning enough money from the constructor standings. I would also imagine that "using their 2014 budget" means something more along the lines of not switching focus over to the 2014 car quite as soon as they wanted. I'm a Ferrari fan, but I'll be the first to say Mclaren is a very savvy team that knows what they're doing. Their current slump is just a temporary thing and they'll be fine next year.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

wunderkind
wunderkind

gary123 wrote:If they are using 2014 budget, I would imagine its a trade off to make sure a lack performance now doesn't hurt their 2014 budget even worse by not earning enough money from the constructor standings. I would also imagine that "using their 2014 budget" means something more along the lines of not switching focus over to the 2014 car quite as soon as they wanted. I'm a Ferrari fan, but I'll be the first to say Mclaren is a very savvy team that knows what they're doing. Their current slump is just a temporary thing and they'll be fine next year.
In the old days, McLaren never had two bad seasons in a row. But nowadays......................I don't know anymore.

hakan439
hakan439

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

wesley123 wrote:The Red Bull was hardly basic when it was launched in 2009, and they too did things that were "special". So there isnt really much a problem in there.

If there is any problem I can think of it is team morale or correlation between the WT/CFD, simulator and real life.

As for morale:
The team last year had pretty much the quickest car, and the quickest driver which was pretty much flawless. They had a huge chance at winning the WDC/WCC, or even better, they were pretty much certain of winning it. But the team just threw it away, and after that they show to be happy with ending up third. If I were just a regular employee of McLAren that would give me a few doubts about what my employees goals are in the championship.

As for the correlation:
McLAren is one of the teams that in recent years often bought updates that were not working as expected, more so than other teams. McLaren is one of the most striking teams in this, since 2010 updates they bring more often dont work than that they do. That is something that you do not want, but it isnt much of a problem.

If we take a look at this year, they havent had that problem, Button even said that the package would bring them great gains according to the simulator if I'm correct. Yet they come in Spain, and they hardly improved, while obviously the sim said something otherwise. So that would lead me to believe that the correlation is off. Certainly with their earlier situation of bringing non working updates, and now with bringing working updates that do not give a improvement.

The last more obvious time that that happened was in 2007, when Honda introduced their RA107, that also had huge aero gains, but in real life, nothing of that was true. And later in the season it was discovered that their windtunnel gave wrong results.
I disagree mate.

in 2011, with the MP4-26, last minute exhauts change made them the second (I think) fastest car in the first race which they only tested in the simualtion.

in 2012, with the MP4-27, updates in Hockenheim worked well and they did had the best car until RB came up with DDRS at the last 3-4 races.

Macca can bring "Working" updates to a car which also works well. Or lets say, not fundemantally wrong with the basic concept or design

Huntresa
Huntresa

hakan439 wrote:
wesley123 wrote:The Red Bull was hardly basic when it was launched in 2009, and they too did things that were "special". So there isnt really much a problem in there.

If there is any problem I can think of it is team morale or correlation between the WT/CFD, simulator and real life.

As for morale:
The team last year had pretty much the quickest car, and the quickest driver which was pretty much flawless. They had a huge chance at winning the WDC/WCC, or even better, they were pretty much certain of winning it. But the team just threw it away, and after that they show to be happy with ending up third. If I were just a regular employee of McLAren that would give me a few doubts about what my employees goals are in the championship.

As for the correlation:
McLAren is one of the teams that in recent years often bought updates that were not working as expected, more so than other teams. McLaren is one of the most striking teams in this, since 2010 updates they bring more often dont work than that they do. That is something that you do not want, but it isnt much of a problem.

If we take a look at this year, they havent had that problem, Button even said that the package would bring them great gains according to the simulator if I'm correct. Yet they come in Spain, and they hardly improved, while obviously the sim said something otherwise. So that would lead me to believe that the correlation is off. Certainly with their earlier situation of bringing non working updates, and now with bringing working updates that do not give a improvement.

The last more obvious time that that happened was in 2007, when Honda introduced their RA107, that also had huge aero gains, but in real life, nothing of that was true. And later in the season it was discovered that their windtunnel gave wrong results.
I disagree mate.

in 2011, with the MP4-26, last minute exhauts change made them the second (I think) fastest car in the first race which they only tested in the simualtion.

in 2012, with the MP4-27, updates in Hockenheim worked well and they did had the best car until RB came up with DDRS at the last 3-4 races.

Macca can bring "Working" updates to a car which also works well. Or lets say, not fundemantally wrong with the basic concept or design
Haha you think Red Bull won those races last year cause they did a DDRS ? DDRS was like the smallest part of the upgrades Red Bull brought to Singapore and Japan...

And for Mclaren in 2011, it wasnt just a last minute exhaust change, its was a nescesary change cause their version of a blown diffuser caused massive overheating among other things.

But i dont agree with the previoues speaker either that Mclaren is worse at updates then anyone else, to me they are average, but should be better cause they shouldnt be in the position they were in 2011, or the position they are in now, its like Ferrari, having rly bad cars from start of the last 2 seasons.

Might be something within these teams organisation that isnt working, and by that i dont mean Windtunnel that didnt work for Ferrari, but i mean who does what and handles what, and how everything is done.

In that sense Red Bull seems to be top notch, even when they didnt have a working back end of their car they just took the time to fix the problem and didnt rush things.

wesley123
wesley123

hakan439 wrote: in 2011, with the MP4-26, last minute exhauts change made them the second (I think) fastest car in the first race which they only tested in the simualtion.
Which was a rip off of the Red Bull and Ferrari solution because their own version was crap, even though their simulation obviously said it worked, well it didnt, even when it didnt broke it was still a inferior solution.

And now we're talking about 2011, they didnt even bring that much visible updates in that year. However, they did updat their rear wing to a short chord flap. It took them around 5 race weekends before it was finally ran in competition.
Indeed they had
Sure they can, however it happens quite often that they switch to an old solution with the updates not working, or not working as expected.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

astracrazy
astracrazy

:roll: isn't this there 2nd season? i mean last year it was there trackside team that --- it up, this year its there design team

captainmorgan
captainmorgan

Is there reason as to why McLaren are underperforming hard this year?

TheRMVR

captainmorgan wrote:Is there reason as to why McLaren are underperforming hard this year?
I mean, they've seen some technical talent leave this year, as well as one of the best current F1 drivers. Their rumored worsening financial situation surely won't help. According to different sources the roadcars are not even close to hitting the numbers they should and the company is bleeding as a result. Some say the choice for Perez was merely a financial one.

Huntresa
Huntresa

TheRMVR wrote:
captainmorgan wrote:Is there reason as to why McLaren are underperforming hard this year?
I mean, they've seen some technical talent leave this year, as well as one of the best current F1 drivers. Their rumored worsening financial situation surely won't help. According to different sources the roadcars are not even close to hitting the numbers they should and the company is bleeding as a result. Some say the choice for Perez was merely a financial one.

Yeah it would be good if they actually made roadcars, and not street legal racecars :P

Juzh

Huntresa wrote:
TheRMVR wrote:

Yeah it would be good if they actually made roadcars, and not street legal racecars :P
You know nothing. Mclaren mp4-12c is more user and road friendly than any avarage family car.

Pup
Pup

Finally, at least one engineer moves the other way...
"Matt Morris will join McLaren Racing as engineering director once his current contractual situation with Sauber is resolved.

"Matt will work for our technical director, Tim Goss, to ensure our engineering standards and technical decision-making capabilities are of the highest quality.

"During a period of intense technical challenge within Formula 1, Matt's appointment is the first step in an ongoing programme to strengthen the engineering department as our organisation prepares for the arrival of Honda in 2015."
I don't know anything about Morris, but I wonder what he can tell McLaren about the Williams gearbox. And I like the last sentence of McLaren's statement. At least they they aren't fooling themselves about their situation.

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

What do you want to say that Mclaren don't want to fool themselves about Morris. I like Morris. He always took risks within Sauber, and he is a relatevely young engineer, born in 1975. Paddy is 15 years old. I lie Mclaren's approach to look only for young engineers.

KATO

Does anyone know when Tooned goes up'? On sky or YouTube?
"Suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension."
__Ayrton Senna

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Did anyone else catch an interview with one of Mclaren's senior personnel, can't remember who exactly but the gist of it was that:
- The pullrod front suspension had been the cause of their problems this year.
- They are now focussing on the 2014 car and will only be bringing small updates to the -28, and stopping the updates on the -28 altogether from august.
- the 2014 car has been in development for 9 months already.