Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Ferrari Power Unit

mistareno wrote:Ok. I have found a recent patent by BMW that has a single injector doing exactly what I propose in exactly the same application.

This is how they have got around the 'Single Direct Injector' issue.

http://google.com/patents/DE102012202080A1?cl=en

It actually references the Mahle TJI system.

This is an image of the injector and it's interaction with the pre-chamber -
https://patentimages.storage.googleapis ... 100001.png
This looks like it.
Might make my double injector conspiracy moot!
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

gruntguru
gruntguru

That would certainly do it. Disadvantage is that injection phasing would need to suit requirements of the pre-chamber making it more difficult to independently control stratification in the main chamber with combinations of early and late injection events.
je suis charlie

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

I dropped this already in the 1.6 v6 engine thread, but maybe here it's better.

What if they can create an injector which spray's the first puff in the pre chamber and the rest in the main chamber. So that a short injection only fuels the pre chamber and longer injections fuels just a little bit in the pre-chamber the rest in the main chamber. Using some tubes and pressure technologies, without breaching the single injector rule.

I think creating a more homogenous mix would be the best for efficient combustion.

ReoPTy
ReoPTy

TJI system is older

would be fair to say Malhe use a TJI system

PlatinumZealot

mistareno wrote:Ok. I have found a recent patent by BMW that has a single injector doing exactly what I propose in exactly the same application.

This is how they have got around the 'Single Direct Injector' issue.

http://google.com/patents/DE102012202080A1?cl=en

It actually references the Mahle TJI system.

This is an image of the injector and it's interaction with the pre-chamber -
https://patentimages.storage.googleapis ... 100001.png
This is no different to the "side branch" injector proposed by one of the posters. Just a different form factor.

I wish I could remember who the poster was, but he has no profile picture so I can't keep track.

While on the topic of profile pictures; the administration of the site need to make profile pictures mandatory. Gawd! it's just thousands of names and I can't even identify who is posting what. I 'm just nonchalantly replying to blocks and blocks text on the page. I don't connect posts with users anymore. I don't read posts with care anymore. I don't know which way the flow of conversation is going. It feels all over the place. It's a mess. It would be good courtesy if new posters just spend 5 minutes and get themselves a profile picture so they can be quickly identified. It's like talking to someone with no face.

Get off the Jaqen H'ghar kool-aid people!This aint game of thrones.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

erikejw
erikejw

Mahle system is definately used by Ferrari.

In Canada last year when Ferrari upgraded their engines Mahle was added as a sponsor on the front of the Ferrari.

I went back and looked through race pictures.

Quite obvious in hindsight :)

ferkan
ferkan

Arrivabene confirmed Ferrari is bringing engine update to Canada. Doesn't yet know if they will have to spend tokens, talks with FIA in process.

Almost certainly engine update is new turbo which some italian sites have been speculating for months.

elise787
elise787

How would you create an ideal charge mix in the main combustion chamber if the plasma from the pre-chamber ignite the charge in the main CC outside-in?

gruntguru
gruntguru

I think the "outside-in" is probably misinterpreted. Perhaps the "fingers" of plasma ignite the mixture at the edges of the chamber (at the "fingertips") first, but surely ignition is occurring all the way along each finger as well. It is possible this happens later - perhaps when the gas/plasma velocity has reduced somewhat.
je suis charlie

Brian Coat
Brian Coat

Although it is using different fuel/speed/MEP , I believe the W Attard / MSU TJI visualisation SAE paper (posted on the Combustion System thread a few weeks back) offers some good photos of TJI burn progression.

The 'fingers' of flame appear to establish very rapidly then get fatter as they burn adjacent mixture.

See Fig 10.

http://www.egr.msu.edu/zhug/Conference% ... zation.pdf

domh245
domh245

It seems that Ferrari were able to pass their Turbocharger upgrade off as a reliability fix. It will be introduced at the Canadian GP

http://www.f1analisitecnica.com/2016/06 ... butto.html (in Italian)

giantfan10
giantfan10

F1analist. Claim that Ferrari will upgrade their turbocharger and MGU-H free of tokens under the reliability clause. They claim this will be worth 4 tenths depending on the track....there will also be some aero upgrades.

GoranF1
GoranF1

giantfan10 wrote:F1analist. Claim that Ferrari will upgrade their turbocharger and MGU-H free of tokens under the reliability clause. They claim this will be worth 4 tenths depending on the track....there will also be some aero upgrades.
If it is a reliability upgrade no performance can be added.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

giantfan10
giantfan10

GoranF1 wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:F1analist. Claim that Ferrari will upgrade their turbocharger and MGU-H free of tokens under the reliability clause. They claim this will be worth 4 tenths depending on the track....there will also be some aero upgrades.
You must be trolling lol......

GoranF1
GoranF1

giantfan10 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
You must be trolling lol......
?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."