Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
godlameroso

Re: Honda Power Unit

FW17 wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 15:04
godlameroso wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 13:28
dr_cooke wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 11:47
MARCA stating (source?) that the main weakness causing most of teh failures this year is down to using ball bearings in the MGUH, instead of hydrodinamic bearings (excuse my english, would you actually call them hydrodinamic bearings?). Not saying that they are so much skilled technically wise in MARCA, the article is plagued with inaccuracies, but may it be possible that HONDA is using ball bearings? (or roller, I do not think MARCA would be able to tell one from the other)

LINK:http://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/201 ... b463b.html
Hydrodynamic bearings = journal bearings or the same bearings the crankshaft and rods use. Roller bearings, most likely ceramic bearings as they deal with rotational speeds better than steel cage bearings with lower lubrication requirements, and are non conductive(Important for the mgu-H). The downside is they are a bit more brittle so more sensitive to vibrations.

Engine does sound like it's running closer to TDC (timing advance is not accurate as that only applies to regular engines without fancy combustion tech)
Why not teflon bearings?
DLC coating would probably be better.
Saishū kōnā

wuzak
wuzak

ctdrftna wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 15:15
Teflon wouldn't stand the heat imo.
Or the loads.

JonoNic

I take it that the PU will be stripped after this session asap. Checking for any other weak areas that may have appeared. Or is there too little distance covered to show any wear?

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

HPD

AMS: "The MCL32 sounds strong on the straight. But Vibrations are still there. Drivers have to change gears up quicker"

etusch

Good news.

godlameroso

HPD wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 17:16
AMS: "The MCL32 sounds strong on the straight. But Vibrations are still there. Drivers have to change gears up quicker"
May have shifted the resonant frequency of the engine outside the critical zone, now it's able to operate in a more normal range, although not completely eliminated. I'm glad they've made progress. :D
Saishū kōnā

GoranF1
GoranF1

According to Albert Fabrega, Honda has tested new engine maps today.
Last edited by GoranF1 on 19 Apr 2017, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

f1rules
f1rules

@AlbertFabrega: Hoy Honda ha probado soluciones para mejorar la fiabilidad y nuevos mapas d motor para mejorar entrega potencia y minimizar vibraciones

dren

f1rules wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 18:36
@AlbertFabrega: Hoy Honda ha probado soluciones para mejorar la fiabilidad y nuevos mapas d motor para mejorar entrega potencia y minimizar vibraciones
Today Honda has tested solutions to improve reliability and new engine maps to improve power delivery and minimize vibrations
Honda!

HPD

Satoshi Nakamura, senior Honda technician, says: "After the repeated damage to the MGU-H, we have taken counter-measures, which bear fruit first. We are also making progress on the drivability of the engine, and we have been able to reduce the vibrations. We're still behind in the competition, but we're catching up. "

http://www.speedweek.com/formel1/news/1 ... ulegt.html

I told you xDD

f1rules
f1rules

From the press releases its obvious it was a good day, come on mclaren honda more of this!

loner

things are more clearer now
this small fix today is to make MC-H comfy in the midfield until the revised PU will be introduced , perhaps canada?!!
thats why ALO said yesterday the next 3 races will be bad coz he is like me :mrgreen: aiming for the podiums
para bellum.

daren_p
daren_p

loner wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 21:21
things are more clearer now
this small fix today is to make MC-H comfy in the midfield until the revised PU will be introduced , perhaps canada?!!
thats why ALO said yesterday the next 3 races will be bad coz he is like me :mrgreen: aiming for the podiums
I wouldn't get too carried away, this is only testing & you have no idea what the other teams run plans were. It appears they may have made a step with the p/u (if they were running the soft tire as has been reported), but if its enough of a step to put them comfortably into the midfield won't be known till at least a race weekend.

HPD

AMUS:

Teamchef Eric Boullier puzzled: "Yesterday the engine broke after two rounds. Today it's like running. We have the same specification in the car as yesterday. "Boullier can only guess what it is:" Maybe there is a problem with a production lot."

McLaren continues to develop the MCL32 as if there were no problems with the Honda engine. "We have to be prepared for the day when the normal state reappears. And for the next years. We still have a little bit of the rules. If we were to give up now, because a component in the car would not work, everything would collapse. It would also contradict our DNA to put us in our fate."

Honda wants to make small modifications to the GP Russia at the periphery of the engine. The Japanese work under high pressure on a new engine. When he is ready, Boullier does not want to say "Ask Honda." We hear that he is ready to go to GP Canada. With new cylinder heads and a revised combustion process.

Honda still struggles to optimize the concept of efficient combustion. Previously, there was always enough gas for the available air. Today, the requirements profile is exactly the opposite. Infinitely lots of air, but only a limited amount of fuel.
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 11803.html

PlatinumZealot

godlameroso wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 13:28
dr_cooke wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 11:47
MARCA stating (source?) that the main weakness causing most of teh failures this year is down to using ball bearings in the MGUH, instead of hydrodinamic bearings (excuse my english, would you actually call them hydrodinamic bearings?). Not saying that they are so much skilled technically wise in MARCA, the article is plagued with inaccuracies, but may it be possible that HONDA is using ball bearings? (or roller, I do not think MARCA would be able to tell one from the other)

LINK:http://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/201 ... b463b.html
Hydrodynamic bearings = journal bearings or the same bearings the crankshaft and rods use. Roller bearings, most likely ceramic bearings as they deal with rotational speeds better than steel cage bearings with lower lubrication requirements, and are non conductive(Important for the mgu-H). The downside is they are a bit more brittle so more sensitive to vibrations.

Engine does sound like it's running closer to TDC (timing advance is not accurate as that only applies to regular engines without fancy combustion tech)
Roller bearings are Ok radially but the only work axially if they are angled.But they are not really what you want to use in a compact axially loaded application. The Ball bearing is the better choice for this. The rollers may be used purely radially if they are in combination with angular contact ball or thrust bearings. Hmm but anyway, they are all solid bearings. And solid bearings have little damping. Hydrodynamic bearings should absorb more vibrations, and once in the right temperature range should be as slippery as roller bearings. With that said, both solid and hydrodynamic could very well be used for all we know.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028