Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Singabule
Singabule

Re: Honda Power Unit

godlameroso wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 22:13
JonoNic wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 22:11
If Mclaren and Honda divorce then what's going to be the next favourite PU forum? Renault? Nah!!
If McLaren dumps Honda, then I'll become a bigger Sauber fan.

Anyway, let's wait until Silverstone before we start pulling out the pitchforks.

I'll laugh if McLaren pulls the plug, and then the engine becomes competitive at the beginning of October when it no longer matters.
Me too

etusch

Looks like there will be very long Sauber Honda thread soon 😂

Joseki
Joseki

godlameroso wrote:
JonoNic wrote:
If Mclaren and Honda divorce then what's going to be the next favourite PU forum? Renault? Nah!!

Anyway, let's wait until Silverstone before we start pulling out the pitchforks.

I'll laugh if McLaren pulls the plug, and then the engine becomes competitive at the beginning of October when it no longer matters.
I'd laugh too at fairytale scenarios.

Singabule
Singabule

JonoNic wrote:
:lol: :lol: LOL

Singabule
Singabule

Edit: wrong forum

Wazari

PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 13:56
Hey Wazari.

Question.. Know what they do now, i suppose Honda can apply the necessary modifications to their single cylinder model to make it correlate with a full V6 now?

I think people attack the one cylinder modelling in a knee jerk. Mercedes use one cylinder as well. So does porsche. I think it is just about applying the properly mechanisms and conditions to make the one cylinder correlate right?
Isn't hay for horses? There are more than one single cylinder working models. The $64K question is which one is going to be built in full V6 form with all the ancillaries that go along with it. I wish it was easy as throwing on a different head or turbo or intake but it's not. To the best of my knowledge they all start off with a single cylinder working model. So while one can modify an existing model, usually it ends up building a whole new model, IE. (new pistons, rod, CC, etc.). Then reconfig/new intakes, forced induction system, etc, etc, etc.............
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

Roostfactor
Roostfactor

Count me in to the Honda faithful as well.

diffuser

Singabule wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 00:13
godlameroso wrote:
JonoNic wrote:

Me too
Even if Honda had 10% better Pu than anyone else in a Sauber....the chassis has lots of issues.

godlameroso

diffuser wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 03:59
Singabule wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

Me too
Even if Honda had 10% better Pu than anyone else in a Sauber....the chassis has lots of issues.
Sauber has good people and the budget to make a good chassis.
Saishū kōnā

bill shoe
bill shoe

Wazari wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 00:08
Especially with less than half the budget and manpower of the other three.
This is a Honda comment, not a Wazari comment: Honda's budget is 100% Honda's responsibility. If their half-of-everyone-else's-budget is too small for them to be competitive then they made a lousy decision to go into Formula 1 with that budget.

wuzak
wuzak

godlameroso wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 05:27
No, they don't have the budget to make a good chassis.

Particularly in the past 3 years.

Before that they did make decent chassis, but a lot of that talent has left them now (eg James Key).

ZakB
ZakB

bill shoe wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 05:28
Wazari wrote:
08 Jun 2017, 00:08
Especially with less than half the budget and manpower of the other three.
This is a Honda comment, not a Wazari comment: Honda's budget is 100% Honda's responsibility. If their half-of-everyone-else's-budget is too small for them to be competitive then they made a lousy decision to go into Formula 1 with that budget.
Who says Honda's budget is half of everyone else's budget? I highly doubt that.

diffuser

godlameroso wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 05:27
diffuser wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 03:59
Singabule wrote:

Me too
regardless of the fact you come from Miami Fl, I respect you. ;)

But Sauber are the team that has been on the brink of bankruptcy since BMW left right ? Trading wind tunnel time to pay for PU from Ferrari. Ferrari letting loans slide way beyond where banks normally would ? Ferrari have been (at times) keeping Sauber a float over the last few years. They've struggled mightily since the switch from the v8s. I think it would take 3 years for them to catchup. Even at that they have a small window of getting it right. Too many pieces missing.
Last edited by diffuser on 09 Jun 2017, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.

Craigy

diffuser wrote:
09 Jun 2017, 14:38
But Sauber are the team that has been on the brink of bankruptcy since BMW left right ?
Until their new backers (Longbow) came on board last year, sure. After that happened, I don't think they are struggling so badly.

One of the backers is a member of the Rausing family. Another is Julius Baer's son...

diffuser

What I don't get is if there was never an update scheduled for Canada, why is McLaren reacting like there was? Certainly if Wasari knew, McLaren must have.... Someone needs to sit down with Hasegawa and have a conversation about "setting expectations" with the world and especially McLaren.

Unless this is some sort of dance for the sponsers.