2017 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 14-16 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
iotar__

Re: 2017 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 14-16 July

atanatizante wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 19:18
So that`s why Bottas spend most of the time on the medium tyre ... he should be doing a one stop race on Sunday having a S-M strategy contrary to the most drivers doing a 2 stop (at least Vestappen said that) with a SS-S-S race ...
- Doubt it, both reasons and viability of such strategy and tyres combination, but we'll see.
- For those hoping for it in vain: three way fight is slightly delayed 8) .

Vasconia

Treble wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 17:55
GPR-A wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 17:15
godlameroso wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 17:07
Man Hamilton is beasting around this track he was the only one that could dip into the 31's in his race sim, Vettel was closest, Bottas a little slower.
It is worth noting that, Bottas was doing his race sim on MEDIUMS on second stint with 1m33.xxx and was matching Hamilton's time of 1m32.xxx in first stint.

Pace-wise, Mercedes seems to be quite far ahead of the Ferraris on both short and long runs. Looks like if it is going to be a straight forward weekend (without any drama), Mercedes would run away with an unchallenged 1-2 in both quali and race.

Let's see if it is JUST FRIDAY.
I've never seen that in this season neither when MERC were half a second faster in quali.... Btw i hope for your happiness it will be like that.
In my opinion this race will be closest than the last one between MER and FER.
Taking into account that their stints seemed to be better I doubt it but I hope Ferrari can be stronger tomorrow and on Sunday. If not, we will watch a boring race.

Artur Craft

Watched 2 of Kimi's fastest laps of FP2 and he was lifting very little for Copse but his speed was dropping from 305-307kph to 280-284kph during the corner.

As iotar said, don't expect Red Bull to fight here. Maybe in Hungary they will because there is a bigger update scheduled for them there.

TAG

TAG wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 16:02
Things looking really good so far for Mercedes here... that's never good news for Mercedes on Sunday.
Like clockwork. Bottas hit with a five spot grid penalty, gearbox.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Going by that
Bottas was actually faster than Ham if you compare the SS stints only.
Hamilton's pace on the Softs was unmatched, but he was presumably on less fuel.
Verstappen looks comfortably quicker than Ricciardo.
Vettel and Raikonnen looked closely matched, with Raikonnen faster on first stint and Vettel faster on last stint.

CBeck113
CBeck113

Hammerfist wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 20:33
Going by that
Vettel and Raikonnen looked closely matched, with Raikonnen faster on first stint and Vettel faster on last stint.
Verstappen needs to make it past the first lap to have anything from it.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

BosF1
BosF1

GPR-A wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 19:09
There you go... the DRAMA. Once again, Mercedes on the back foot.
Let's not be too dramatic about it. With the speed they've shown today Bottas will have made up those places in about 3 to 4 laps I guess :lol:

bosyber
bosyber

drunkf1fan wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 16:15
bosyber wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 15:49
RZS10 wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 15:42
What happened between Massa and Verstappen?

They gave the info that there's an investigation but did not show any replays ...
Verstappen was on a lap, Massa was ahead of him, likely on an outlap, didn't want to let him past, it turned into somewhat of a training fight for position.
It was more than that, Massa was stupidly slow and went very wide into a turn, kinda looked like he was leaving space but then closed the door. Out of the next corner Verstappen pulled way alongside Massa and considering Massa was slow, not on a full lap and certainly not pushing hard he could have easily left the inside to Max. Instead he chopped to the inside as usual, Max saw it coming and braked fairly hard and came within an inch or two of wing damage for sure could easily have been more considering it was in a fast corner.

No clue what Massa was doing, absolutely no reason to block a guy going that much faster than you in practice, none at all.
I just read Massa was told VER was on an outlap, and he himself was trying to create some space ahead of him for a fast lap. I think Massa probably saw VER coming and noticed the pace difference, but didn't really decide he had been informed wrongly. I tend to think Massa is very adamant at defending his position (maybe a trauma from Ferrari time?)

Sieper

CBeck113 wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 20:48
Hammerfist wrote:
14 Jul 2017, 20:33
Going by that
Verstappen needs to make it past the first lap to have anything from it.
Really? What about the out lap and the warm up lap? And all the other race laps? Those too I would say.

godlameroso

It's looking like light rain during FP3 and during the race on Sunday

Seems like it's official now.

Saishū kōnā

Treble
Treble

Everybody here talked about FER and how many components they changed in this first part of the season but at then end the first one to have grid penalty is MERC. Receive 10 grid penalty in two races is quite alarming. I hope the new gear last longer.

wickedz50
wickedz50

Treble wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 07:00
Everybody here talked about FER and how many components they changed in this first part of the season but at then end the first one to have grid penalty is MERC. Receive 10 grid penalty in two races is quite alarming. I hope the new gear last longer.
Hold on there is 20-30 grid penalties coming for Ferrari very soon...keep patience

Treble
Treble

wickedz50 wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 07:37
Treble wrote:
15 Jul 2017, 07:00
Hold on there is 20-30 grid penalties coming for Ferrari very soon...keep patience

Ferrari
Sebastian Vettel
ICE: 2, TC: 4, MGU-H: 3, MGU-K: 2, ES: 2, CE: 2
Kimi Raikkonen
ICE: 2, TC: 3, MGU-H: 2, MGU-K: 2, ES: 2, CE: 2

Lewis Hamilton
ICE: 2, TC: 2, MGU-H: 2, MGU-K: 2, ES: 2, CE: 2
Valtteri Bottas
ICE: 2, TC: 2, MGU-H: 2, MGU-K: 2, ES: 2, CE: 2

So technically you think that they will bring a new TC sooner. Why 20-30 if the TC change means 10 grid penalty ?

godlameroso

Vettel will take at least one 5 place penalty if they have perfect reliability. Two is more likely, but they have to be perfect. Raikkonen looks set to lose Ferrari the constructors title if he doesn't start getting consistent podiums.
Saishū kōnā

Phil

Ferrari cant have it both ways. They may be faced with reality that their car is just 2nd best. Then you cant realistically expect Kimi to get podiums, especially not when the team are happy to play him as a pawn to their WDC ambitions.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter