2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JonoNic

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Stoffel speaking about Alonso as a team mate. https://youtu.be/oz-pacLZ1WQ (FYI No one bad mouthed Alonso in the vid)
Always find the gap then use it.

RS200E

nanocustic wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 17:38
Asked specifically about the progress Honda are making with their power pack, Dennis enthused: “It is mindblowing, the engine is a piece of jewellery. They are further ahead than expected. The competiveness of the engine is without question.”
It still stings.
Not sure exactly why Ron would say that especially after having the Merc V6 PU in 2014.

I can only think 2 things.

1. That McLaren couldn't get the Merc to work in 2014, which has been said could be down to inferior mapping and not running Pertonas and being a non works supply. Yes the 2014 chassis wasn't the best but maybe not as bad as people think. So taking that into account McLaren did actually see good relative performance to that Merc PU.

2. Ron was lying or someone somewhere along the line was mislead. The fans were mislead for sure.

We can only look forward to the next engine formula. I think McLaren are with Honda for the long term and are comfortably surviving in F1, which matters more than keeping Alonso or keeping fans happy.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

etusch

http://en.f1i.com/news/278054-alonso-mclaren-honda.html

It looks like Alonso is going. I was fan of him. But after Belgian gp it will not same for me. I expect Lando Norris to mclaren next season.

GoranF1
GoranF1

etusch wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 19:06

It looks like Alonso is going. I was fan of him. But after Belgian gp it will not same for me. I expect Lando Norris to mclaren next season.
Thats funny.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

RS200E

etusch wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 19:06

Nothing to see. Just another crappy article.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

nanocustic wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 17:38
Asked specifically about the progress Honda are making with their power pack, Dennis enthused: “It is mindblowing, the engine is a piece of jewellery. They are further ahead than expected. The competiveness of the engine is without question.”
It still stings.
LOL. I have never seen this quote before. Awesome. Poor Honda :/

Sayeman

Will Fernando go or will Honda go? Find out next week on dragonball z
Never Give up.

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

After reading this it's even more ridiculous to think of McLaren leaving Honda. To me it's all about McLaren trying to keep Alonso. They are looking at Renault, dancing Alonso's tune to make him re-sign, letting him berate Honda. McLaren should be much stronger with him, his options are limited. McLaren clearly scared of losing him and becoming left in 2018 with two drivers incapable of winning and losing premium brand status with the team turning into mid table regulars in the future like WIlliams.

http://www.elperiodico.com/es/mundial-f ... so-6252143

Red Bull got Renault to involve Ilmor when their engine was failing, Red Bull know Honda could deliver in 2018 with their help. Honda with improvements for Monza and more for around Mexico timescale will become pretty close to Red Bull, matching them by end of year I suggest. No major design change in 2018, just continued development.

If Honda end up being forced out of McLaren and going to Williams (for example), my loyalty might just move with Honda.

diffuser

Sayeman wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 21:43
Will Fernando go or will Honda go? Find out next week on dragonball z
Yeah Alo never said that. They asked him if Honda had to go for him to say and he said "I don't know but we have to do something." .

Zynerji

I would cut Alonso and move on Norris for 18.

No sense paying in $ and reputation while Honda is still searching for "contender" status.

Alonso did his job, and isn't worth his salary without a championship level engine.

Honda is an inevitability. Alonso is old by today's average. Pull the trigger now, push him out. He would probably retire, but that just gives Norris the lady few races of experience.

JonoNic

Zynerji wrote:I would cut Alonso and move on Norris for 18.

No sense paying in $ and reputation while Honda is still searching for "contender" status.

Alonso did his job, and isn't worth his salary without a championship level engine.

Honda is an inevitability. Alonso is old by today's average. Pull the trigger now, push him out. He would probably retire, but that just gives Norris the lady few races of experience.
Is that his nickname? Norris the Lady?

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

Pierce89

Zynerji wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 05:43

Yeah, cut the (equal)best driver on grid. Brilliant strategy. McLaren has a good chassis. If they cut Alonso for next year, but Honda actually catches up PU wise, then they wouldn't have anyone to legitimately get the best out of the car. With a top level PU, the McLaren of this year would have won races, but only in Alonso's hands.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

GhostF1
GhostF1

Pierce89 wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 06:23
Zynerji wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 05:43

Yeah, cut the (equal)best driver on grid. Brilliant strategy. McLaren has a good chassis. If they cut Alonso for next year, but Honda actually catches up PU wise, then they wouldn't have anyone to legitimately get the best out of the car. With a top level PU, the McLaren of this year would have won races, but only in Alonso's hands.
Playing the devil's advocate here, but what has Alonso shown that Vandoorne hasn't either matched or even surpassed in the last few races?

For those ready to blast me for that, please read the first 5 words of my post again.

Andres125sx

HPD wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 13:40
Andres125sx wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 12:50
OviJohn wrote:
28 Aug 2017, 21:40

I work for a "big corp" here, and If you dare voice your frustrations as Alonso does, trust me, the least you´d get is a "yellow card" with good old HHRR department, and if done again, you´re out or can simply kiss your career progression good bye. The only way to get away with certain attitudes againt bosses here is by being heavily involved with an Union. (ELA, for example) And that certainly wont allow you to go and humiliate your bosses everytime you feel like it :wink:
Are you really comparing any mortal job with Alonso´s job? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Obviously you missed it or I didn´t explain it properly (likely), but my reply was not about Spain, but about proffesional responsabilities.

People is saying Alonso is burning bridges.... What??? It´s HONDA who is burning bridges guys, right and left, front and back, you didn´t notice yet?

Fly passed by a Renault engine in second half of third season!!! But the bad boy here is Alonso... yeah guys, whatever you say :lol: :lol: :lol:
We do not say that Alonso is a bad driver, he is one of the best.
We do not say that Honda is the best engine, it is the worst engine these days.

Being the best driver does not give you the right to humiliate or criticize the people who work with you. If you think this is correct, then sorry ... you do not know what teamwork is.
Did you read my post? :roll:

If affirmative, try reading again with a bit more attention. I never said he can criticize because he´s the best (I´ve never even said he´s the best #-o ), I only said Honda did promises to hire one of the best, but then can´t accomplish those promises.

When I can´t accomplish my promises, I expect criticism, don´t you? :roll:

Andres125sx

OviJohn wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 14:36
Woah woah! Seems like i hit a nerve here Andres.
Yes you did, I´m tired of reading complains about Alonso, specially from those who criticize Honda... if you, as a fan(not refering to you specifically), can´t stop criticizing Honda... what should do the person who is suffering that poor perfomance race after race, season after season, when he has the talent to fight for titles and Honda did promise to fight for titles?

I really think people HUGELY understimate how frustrating must be driving with a Honda PU, specially for someone with the talent and curriculum as Alonso. Every driver drives poor cars at the beginnning of his career (or most), but a champion driving such a poor car... that´s not normal, maybe for some season his team messed it up, but not for three consecutive seasons

Alonso is living a situation probably not other WDC has suffered before

OviJohn wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 14:36
Alonso IS an employee and he should know best what certain behaviours bring along for him...As I concluded on that post you replied to.

In fact, I hope you already read what Cyril Abiteboul had to say about Alonso today. You can now add him to the "foolish" F1 team bosses list that are very weary to hire him, despite of his obvious talent. So yeah, just as Honda, the good old saying applies to him: "You reap what you sow"
People say this about Alonso since his first Renault days, but even so he´s been part of McLaren (2 times), Ferrari, and Renault, so I wouldn´t say he´s closed doors anywhere, actually he´s driven for the best F1 teams despite his hot personality :wink:

And again, this is last Alonso project in F1. Honda did promise fighting for titles, but can´t provide a PU for that. Honda deserve any criticism... from Alonso, who is the scammed one and who is suffering that poor PU race after race.

Also, what bridges should keep Alonso when he´s said repeteadly this is his last long term project? Did you forget he´s 36 years old?