Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
gdogg371
gdogg371

Re: Honda Power Unit

Binning Honda off now just as they are a starting to get some traction to take a customer Renault deal would be mental. Which is exactly why I think they won't do it...

godlameroso

That's a big boost, that's worth pretty much .3 seconds.
Saishū kōnā

Joseki
Joseki

Marti_EF3 wrote:Albert Fabrega says Honda had a "qualy mode map" for Spa and now it can be used at race too. It's worth 25hp...
I read that tweet too but he's the only one reporting it. I'm sure he's reliable but this came a bit of nowhere. 25 hp are big news.

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 3 utilizzando Tapatalk

Marti_EF3

Joseki wrote:
02 Sep 2017, 01:31
Marti_EF3 wrote:Albert Fabrega says Honda had a "qualy mode map" for Spa and now it can be used at race too. It's worth 25hp...
I read that tweet too but he's the only one reporting it. I'm sure he's reliable but this came a bit of nowhere. 25 hp are big news.

It may be, or it not. But I believe Albert more than 80% of de media around F1... We will see where this 25hp are tomorrow, and sunday on race pace

wuzak
wuzak

Nuvolari wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 16:37
Joseki wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 15:27
Vandoorne's speed in race mode is terrible, not even 300 km/h.

The others are about 310 km/h.
I was following Alonso's long run towards end of FP2, as he was behind Vettel. I think Vettel might have been getting a tow from Verstappen in some of these laps. I'm assuming Alonso was too far away to benefit in the last few laps.

Vmax delta to Vettel on the straights before some of these corners (actual speed of Alonso in brackets):

-10 kph Variante del rettifilio (varied from 307 - 314 km/h)
-5 kph Variante della roggia (299 km/h)
-10 kph Variante Ascari (308 km/h)
-6 kph Curva Parabolica (311 km/h)

I remember earlier on in the season when McLaren were a whopping 25 km/h slower than Ferrari on Vmax in races and against some Merc customer PU cars. Surely this is a massive improvement?

Race pace during these laps were in the high 26s, which is not very competitive though.
That's a nice comparison.

Of course Vettel (or Raikkonen) wasn't using his race engine here. He was using ICE 1 (introduced in Australia) or ICE 2 (introduced in Spain), so it has done at least a couple of thousand kms. If it was ICE 1 it must be getting towards 5000km.

Apart from running an old engine, Ferrari tend to wind their engines way down on Friday.

So the hope all you Honda fans currently have, I wouldn't get too carried away.

wuzak
wuzak

Marti_EF3 wrote:
02 Sep 2017, 01:38
Joseki wrote:
02 Sep 2017, 01:31

It may be, or it not. But I believe Albert more than 80% of de media around F1... We will see where this 25hp are tomorrow, and sunday on race pace
Don't believe they'll be using that engine for the rest of the weekend. It will be saved for Singapore.

604gtir
604gtir

Marti_EF3 wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 23:55
Albert Fabrega says Honda had a "qualy mode map" for Spa and now it can be used at race too. It's worth 25hp...
ooh oil burn map, i like

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

I don't believe pure HP numbers anymore. What is 1000 BHp if you can only have it for 25 seconds each lap? While another has 980 BHP for almost a full lap?

A quali mode, which can be used during the race. For one lap? one lap every 10 laps? 40% of a race.

Remember, it is not how much power you have, but for how often that power is available to you.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Anyone else surprised to see McLaren Honda up on row 4 in second practice yesterday?

i know the Merc customers might have a little extra in the tank for Quali today but even so, perhaps a glimmer of light at the end of a very long tunnel.

I thought they would get totally embarrassed at Monza.

Nuvolari

wuzak wrote:
02 Sep 2017, 01:40
Apart from running an old engine, Ferrari tend to wind their engines way down on Friday.

So the hope all you Honda fans currently have, I wouldn't get too carried away.
Of course, but the point was to illustrate that the simple speeds that were being quoted was incorrect.

BTW, McLaren also don't run flat out on Friday long runs. Their race pace on Sunday is often better than the long runs on Friday.

Sunday should clear things up a lot.

Soichiro
Soichiro

Nuvolari wrote:
02 Sep 2017, 09:55

Sunday should clear things up a lot.
They won't be running the latest PU, so I guess you will need to account for some additional margin there.

McL-H
McL-H

Anyone knows what engine spec Alonso fitted in FP1? They reverted back to the engine used in Spa for the remainder of the weekend, to save the newer spec for Singapore if I read this correctly, but is this newer engine spec4 or spec3.8?

Joseki
Joseki

McL-H wrote:
02 Sep 2017, 10:19
Anyone knows what engine spec Alonso fitted in FP1? They reverted back to the engine used in Spa for the remainder of the weekend, to save the newer spec for Singapore if I read this correctly, but is this newer engine spec4 or spec3.8?
Fernando is using the engine he used in Spa, Spec 3.5, the engine they used in FP1 is named spec 3.7.

etusch

McL-H
McL-H

Joseki wrote:
02 Sep 2017, 10:24
McL-H wrote:
02 Sep 2017, 10:19
Fernando is using the engine he used in Spa, Spec 3.5, the engine they used in FP1 is named spec 3.7.
Okay, thanks for clearing that up!