2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
loner

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

ZakB wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 22:10
loner wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 21:49
can't see ALO sticking with Mclaren with no gigantic wages whats the logic for a 36 yo to stay in a midfield team with Renault with small wage?!!
if iam in his shoes i'd follow the money he is in a retirement phase of age.
McLaren will move to Renault, Alonso will stay with McLaren. The nightmare is almost over.

well good for you Mclarens then =D> :D
para bellum.

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

Go to Renault....how many victories? If it does happen then it has to be for 12months. You ain't gonna win with Renault and even less so when you aren't the works team.

Joseki
Joseki

fellowhoodlums wrote:Go to Renault....how many victories? If it does happen then it has to be for 12months. You ain't gonna win with Renault and even less so when you aren't the works team.
Red Bull has now 212 points against the 11 from McLaren. McLaren actually have less points than they had in 2015 at this point in the season.

If that isn't an improvement nothing is an improvement.

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 3 utilizzando Tapatalk

zack!
zack!

Renault work team is not ready to win, enstone is still under re-structuring phase, recruitment still not finished. Abitboul said Enstone only at 75% of target (to win), so chassis will not be competitive in 2018 (even if gap should close a bit with RBR/MCL), they target some podium. Then in 2019 they want wins, and 2020 fight for championship. So 2018, and in lesser intend 2019 is open for supplied teams. After that, renault will do things to take full advantage. But I think renault is more fair, and has some kind of sporting spirit / ethic than other teams, so it will still have some oppotunities for supplied team doing really go job. IMHO.

GhostF1
GhostF1

Why does everybody keep saying "look at Red Bull's performance and championship points"...
That has no reflection on how McLaren could perform with a Renault PU. They breeze past Toro Rosso and Renault works teams. Which frankly, is where McLaren would be. They'd be lineballing with the Renault works team who have made good progress and appear 6th a couple times.
Please.. Taking a Renault PU and suddenly matching Red Bull, how moronic do you have to be to suggest that's definitely how it'll happen...

ZakB
ZakB

GhostF1 wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 23:37
Why does everybody keep saying "look at Red Bull's performance and championship points"...
That has no reflection on how McLaren could perform with a Renault PU. They breeze past Toro Rosso and Renault works teams. Which frankly, is where McLaren would be. They'd be lineballing with the Renault works team who have made good progress and appear 6th a couple times.
Please.. Taking a Renault PU and suddenly matching Red Bull, how moronic do you have to be to suggest that's definitely how it'll happen...
Yeah, the aero department of McLaren is run by retards and Red Bull are so superior. McLaren says it can battle with Red Bull, which is based on actual data and calculations, instead of your suggestions based on thin air. Some people forget that there is also a possibility that Renault can improve in 2018, which is the reason why they haven't introduced many updates this year.
fellowhoodlums wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 22:20
Go to Renault....how many victories? If it does happen then it has to be for 12months. You ain't gonna win with Renault and even less so when you aren't the works team.
Stick with Honda...how many points?

GhostF1
GhostF1

ZakB wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 23:43
GhostF1 wrote:
Yeah, the aero department of McLaren is run by retards and Red Bull are so superior. McLaren says it can battle with Red Bull, which is based on actual data and calculations, instead of your suggestions based on thin air. Some people forget that there is also a possibility that Renault can improve in 2018, which is the reason why they haven't introduced many updates this year.
fellowhoodlums wrote:
Where did I say McLaren are retards? Let's remember that this year is the first good year in a while now that McLaren has had, chassis wise. I'm not calling them morons at all. What I'm saying is, it's ludicrous to assume they'll suddenly be Red Bull level with a different engine. That is not likely.

Also, just to keep this form at least remotely based on facts... Alonso's retirement was a gearbox fault, which he'd been dealing with the whole race with slow, jarring upshifts, they retired early for the free change they'll get for next race.

ZakB
ZakB

GhostF1 wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 23:52
ZakB wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 23:43
GhostF1 wrote:
fellowhoodlums wrote:
Where did I say McLaren are retards? Let's remember that this year is the first good year in a while now that McLaren has had, chassis wise. I'm not calling them morons at all. What I'm saying is, it's ludicrous to assume they'll suddenly be Red Bull level with a different engine. That is not likely.

Also, just to keep this form at least remotely based on facts... Alonso's retirement was a gearbox fault, which he'd been dealing with the whole race with slow, jarring upshifts, they retired early for the free change they'll get for next race.
Just look at all the comments from analysts, they feel the McLaren chassis is one of the best out there. How good it is with a Renault engine? Hard to say, but you already say it's moronic to think that they can battle with Red Bull. McLaren must feel pretty confident if they are willing to switch to Mercedes, Ferrari or Renault. McLaren still have amazing facilities and after 2014 a lot has changed and their aero department seems back on track. Just look at the development rate of McLaren, there is almost no team that bring as many new parts as they do.
"I'm happy, I'm with the best team of my career," said Alonso.

"The level of knowledge and detail that I found here is probably the best.

"The analysis, the work in the factory, the philosophy of designing the car is completely different to what I was used to.

"The driver input and the driver implications are much greater here so we're just missing a competitive car.

"For organisation and things like that, the team is just amazing."
You guys have no faith in McLaren, but will defend Honda at any cost.

Marti_EF3

Keep dreaming about the super hyper Renault 2018 PU who will beat everyone. Sure it's now better than Honda but... New concept for 2018, and 100% sure it's not a fail and gets reliability problems again? Renault not the best on developing new concepts too... And making a deal before seeign the big upgrade Honda have working with external help? It seems a bit desesperate move to keep Alonso and show "look we are doing something, come to me sponsors!". But thinking a little, it have no sense to me to kick a works deal for a customer deal without seeing the major update of Honda, at the first year of a totally new PU concept... I'm not saying Honda will be better than Renault in 2018, but if they are equal and good. Mclaren will regret not being with Honda, and RBR will get works deal again with Honda. No guarantees again of Renault being better (new concept for Renault, and the same for Honda, so everything you put now in 2017 is helpful for next year, so Honda working hard now is the same as working for 2018 PU)

But we will see, I'm starting to get tired of Mclaren throwing BS everywhere, so if Honda now have a deal with STR and then RBR, it's better for me

zoroastar

renault are using the same design philosophy for the start of next year, and expect to be on par with ferrari and mercedes. of course, you just never know, but honda is at least 2 years away from being truly competitive. just like they were in 2015... i can see how some people think honda have a chance to catch up quicker, because i have been "that guy" for 2 1/2 years now. but at this point, i dont think honda can match mercedes before the 2021 changes. i havent seen anything from them in the last 3 years to change my mind. in developing these insanely complicated PU's its always a marathon as opposed to a sprint. renault have a much better chance next year than honda. if mclaren are dropping honda, they have the data and inside info to support their choice. im sure dropping a works deal, and 100 million a year isnt taken lightly. i also imagine that any choices they make for engines is basically to bridge the gap until 2021. i would love to see mclaren honda winning again, but i dont think it will happen for a couple of years, if then.
Last edited by zoroastar on 04 Sep 2017, 00:53, edited 1 time in total.

MotoManiac

Alonso's got 2 year at most? He's 38, i would've understood if it was Versteppen, who's hot property in the paddock right now.

Every statement Mclaren makes is about "Keeping Alonso" "Keeping Fernando happy" "Alonso will stay if we switch to Renault PU", It's all about Alonso. Mercedes, Ferrari and Redbull have indicated multiple times that they want nothing to do with Alonso, where is he gonna go?? Alonso wants a title before he retires (in 2 years most likely), will Renault PU bring a title in 2 years?

How many times have Alonso finished 2nd or 3rd in the championship? He wants to win, he doesn't want to be the "Best of the rest". Redbull has been using Renault PUs since 2014 with Newey heavily involved in the designing. You think McLaren is gonna beat them with Renault PUs? They have two of the best driver sin F1, while McLaren has a angry star and Vandoorne (who hardly makes any overtake in the race).

We are gonna be hearing the same rubbish Dennis used to say about Mercedes, "Renault is not giving proper help with mappings and upgrades", Abiteboul will tell them to shut up or leave just like he did to Redbull and we will be back to square one with Alonso throwing the toys out of the pram again.

I know people defend Alonso for being a great driver which he is, but if you don't see that a lot of this tension is being stirred by him then you are not looking clearly.
Last edited by MotoManiac on 04 Sep 2017, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.

Marti_EF3

Not to say, work to put a new "unknown" PU on your chassis being a customer team after being a work team with a differnt PU. Which development have been done to match exactly your car for the best package. It's not that easy. And Brawn GP isn't an example because the V8 were a lot simple and easy than this new BS hybrid PUs. So, we will see, but there are no guarantees at all going to be a customer Renault... Lotus too took a Mercedes PU and was a crap car

zoroastar

i know they want to keep alonso, and they should. but all this stuff about "keeping alonso" is brought on by the questions asked by the media. how do you expect them to answer? every person that asks zack brown a question asks him about whether they will be able to keep alonso. and he answers them honestly, and its reposted by every media outlet in the world. them dumping honda has way more to do with the sh*te engines theyve been handed for 3 years now than keeping alonso. any team in mclarens situation would be fed up by now.

Shrieker

If Alonso is influential on the Honda decision, he's totally not worth it; I say ditch him. What a primadonna crybaby. He's become a hysterical mess, look at his whinging about Palmer today in the race, even after he's retired lol. GET ON WITH THE RACE IDIOT. Poach Carlos Sainz and carry on with Honda. They bring a huge amount of money to the team, and a Renault engine is guaranteed to not win them a title even tho they may win a few races with it. I've read a good post about this from someone today. If Renault come up with the best engine (long shot), Red Bull will win the title, and not McLaren. They are sure to get second rate engines after the works Renault team and Red Bull. If Honda come up with the best engine (an even longer shot), McLaren will win. It's the wrong time to ditch Honda. Except if they're making an arrangement to reunite(unlikely) if/when things get fully sorted and Honda become super competitive.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

zoroastar

nobody knows that. and i remember at the beginning of this year, red bull were surprised that their chassis needed as much work as it did. i remember ricciardo clearly stating that the aero hadnt worked out as good as they had thought. mclaren also havent had the benefit of having a decent PU to design around since they got peter p. from red bull. everything is speculation at this point.