2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ZakB
ZakB

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

JonoNic wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 17:04
If Mclaren gets the Renault PU then it will be a straight swap with TR. With TR maybe using Honda. That means customer Renault PU for Mclaren and not a works one. If you think that the TR chassis is bad then you are naive. The TR chassis is almost as good as the RB but their results differ so much.
You must be barking mad to think the TS chassis is anywhere close to the Red Bull.

j.yank
j.yank

BTW can someone explain why they left Stoffel for 32 laps on the track with old supersofts and because of this he lost many places to Kvyat, Seinz and Hulkenberg? The MGU-K failure seemingly masked this very strange race strategy.

Sayeman

Won't take long for the "We can win with anything other than Honda" bubble to burst, and it will burst, maybe as early as next year. We will see how Mr. Fernando is content with that.

FIA is desperate to keep Honda, no other manufacturer is showing any remote interest, everyone's eye is on FE. Mclaren's Porche collborations are simply rumors. I wouldn't rule out FIA helping Honda to keep them in the sport, maybe they are already helping. Mclaren should wait till the big update, they are having hissy fits 3 months too early in my opinion.
Last edited by Sayeman on 04 Sep 2017, 17:59, edited 2 times in total.
Never Give up.

ZakB
ZakB

damager21 wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 16:39
mclaren111 wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 15:38
McL-H wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 15:22

McLaren will not have 3 good years, going with Renault. They will be 4th team at max. Without a title sponsor, without prize money, without sufficient funds, without top personnel, becoming Williams 2.0. Good luck with that! =D>
Agree 200% - Honda is only way forward. How people think Renault will be better is beyond comprehension :shock: :shock: :o :o
McLaren are better off working with Honda till end of their contract than relying on Renault. If McLaren is not winning, 4th or 8th in the constructors does not matter much. By being 4th in the constructors, I don't expect McLaren to earn 100mn in sponsorship and revenue share. Honda is already offering huge monies plus free engines and paying for Alonso's salary

If we were to assume that Renault will be taking a big leap forward in 2018 and will be closer to Mercedes and Ferrari next year, I don't see why in such a situation Torro Rosso would consider switching to Honda.

Hence McLaren should stick with Honda

For Honda, its time to up the investments and resources in F1 because this really embarrassing. They need to do whatever it takes to have a strong engine in 2018
It doesn't matter if your 4th of 8th? Are you serious? It means fighting with Sauber or fighting with Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari. You call yourself a fan? Who cares about the money Honda is paying, it's all wasted on nothing. They have shown time and time again they are not capable of doing anything good. I hear the excuse of new concept, actually it isn't a new concept because Mercedes has been using it since day one. What they should have done is hire staff from the big guys instead of doing everything on their own. They even openly admitted they underestimated this new concept. How is it possible to underestimate thing, while you have been failing for two years. They are 110 races without a win, current record 119, which is in the hands of Honda as well. It says it all really.
j.yank wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 17:35
BTW can someone explain why they left Stoffel for 32 laps on the track with old supersofts and because of this he lost many places to Kvyat, Seinz and Hulkenberg? The MGU-K failure seemingly masked this very strange race strategy.
Because nobody cares, they don't make it to the finish anyway. Two MGU-K failures in 24 hours, must be a record, even for Honda.
Last edited by ZakB on 04 Sep 2017, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

Andres125sx

ZakB wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 15:48
mclaren111 wrote:
Agree 200% - Honda is only way forward. How people think Renault will be better is beyond comprehension :shock: :shock: :o :o
Yeah, the last three years have been great.
Yeah, Renault had three great seasons wich imply McLaren-Renault would be a winning deal, right? Oh wait... #-o

ZakB
ZakB

Andres125sx wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 17:45
ZakB wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:
Yeah, Renault had three great seasons wich imply McLaren-Renault would be a winning deal, right? Oh wait... #-o
In comparison with Honda, I would certainly call them great. How much is Hasegawa paying you guys?

Sayeman

ZakB wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 17:46
Andres125sx wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 17:45
ZakB wrote:

In comparison with Honda, I would certainly call them great. How much is Hasegawa paying you guys?
How much are you getting paid to write rubbish here, i wonder?
Never Give up.

Andres125sx

Avocado wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 16:23
Andres125sx wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 08:35
So McLaren renounced to using best PU because they were a customer team, and now they´ll use third best PU as third customer team.... great deal McLaren!!! #-o :cry:
Red Bull - 212 points
McLaren - 11 points

Red Bull - 7 podiums, they won in Azerbaijan
McLaren - 0

Yes, fantastic deal.
And not even with RBR chassis and Newey genius they were able to fight for any title, not even remotedly

So if we assume McLaren only need to be a solid midfielder, then yes, the deal is great, but if we assume McLaren should be fighting for titles... #-o

Honda route looks tough, but at least there´s some expectative to become competitive to the point they can fight with works teams, unlike becoming Renault customer team who has his own works team, and a very competitive custormer team with a long history with the french manufacturer, so I really can´t see McLaren-Renault fighting for any title, wich should be McLaren target

JonoNic

ZakB wrote:
JonoNic wrote:
If Mclaren gets the Renault PU then it will be a straight swap with TR. With TR maybe using Honda. That means customer Renault PU for Mclaren and not a works one. If you think that the TR chassis is bad then you are naive. The TR chassis is almost as good as the RB but their results differ so much.
You must be barking mad to think the TS chassis is anywhere close to the Red Bull.
I think you are barking mad by replying to every comment to push your agenda.
Always find the gap then use it.

loner

JonoNic wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 17:56
ZakB wrote:
JonoNic wrote:
I think you are barking mad by replying to every comment to push your agenda.
i won't be surprised if he is realy a Zak B's shill :lol:
para bellum.

Postmoe

OMG the Maxit is for real then?

Wazari

Wow, a lot of passion and heated arguments. Let's see what happens. So much speculation aided by journalist's rubbish.

I will admit I think many times the finger pointing is one-sided and Honda (for good reason) never says anything. This weekend; gearbox problem (who makes the gearbox?), 2 MGU-K shaft failures (McLaren or Honda designed and specified part?). At Spa, low DF package doesn't work, have to revert to medium DF package (McLaren or Honda issue?). Yes majority of McLaren-Honda's failure to perform is on Honda's end but not 100%.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

Sayeman

Wazari wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 18:20
Wow, a lot of passion and heated arguments. Let's see what happens. So much speculation aided by journalist's rubbish.

I will admit I think many times the finger pointing is one-sided and Honda (for good reason) never says anything. This weekend; gearbox problem (who makes the gearbox?), 2 MGU-K shaft failures (McLaren or Honda designed and specified part?). At Spa, low DF package doesn't work, have to revert to medium DF package (McLaren or Honda issue?). Yes majority of McLaren-Honda's failure to perform is on Honda's end but not 100%.
One guy was saying how Honda's poor performance is causing the poor pitstops. That's how bad it is right now.
Never Give up.

Avocado
Avocado

Andres125sx wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 17:50
And not even with RBR chassis and Newey genius they were able to fight for any title, not even remotedly

So if we assume McLaren only need to be a solid midfielder, then yes, the deal is great, but if we assume McLaren should be fighting for titles... #-o
Jolle wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 16:49
plus, who wants McLaren to win races and become WC? Renault doesn't, they probably, when their own team is competitive going to drop RedBull. Mercedes doesn't and certainly doesn't. At this moment the only one is Honda.
Renault is NOT a permanent solution, that's obvious. #-o But for the next couple of years it's much, much better to be on a podium and have a few wins than NOTHING AT ALL.

HPD

Anyone wondering why red bull is interested in Honda?
It is supposed to be the worst engine in history and it will never be competitive. Why Red Bull wants Honda to work with Toro Rosso?

I would not be surprised if Ilmor is talking to Red Bull about the Honda engines.