2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

techman wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 11:36
Think about what Mclaren could have done today with that engine. Thats why i think it's gonna be a dominant 2018 for Mclaren-Renault.

mclaren would have done a similar pace to renautl f1 and Torro rosso with a renault engine this year.
Lol...they are faster already whit Honda.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Sayeman

First of all, the chassis is good, I saw Mclaren pulling significantly away from the Williams in the "S" sections. Although, to me Williams has the worst chassis on the grid, entire package is tuned towards the strength of the Power unit. I also saw Honda being reliable all week and not too shabby speed wise in the race, specially against Vettel in the first few laps without DRS. Efficiency might still be bad compared to Mercedes and Ferrari. Looking forward to the new upgrade from Honda.

Heard that Vandoorne is not running the upgraded aero this week, only Fernando is? Mclaren telling us that the aero has delivered as expected, so does that mean Alonso is not delivering or is Mclaren lying about the 95% correlation success? I really want to see how good this chassis is, so looking forward to next year.

Really happy with Vandoorne's performance, showed more mettle and aggressiveness than the rest of the season combined. Not convinced with Gasly's performance...With Kvyat stepping down, wonder whom Honda and Torro-rosso gonna bring in...They will need a good driver there next year.
Last edited by Sayeman on 01 Oct 2017, 13:17, edited 2 times in total.
Never Give up.

etusch

GoranF1 wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 13:01
techman wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 11:36
Think about what Mclaren could have done today with that engine. Thats why i think it's gonna be a dominant 2018 for Mclaren-Renault.

mclaren would have done a similar pace to renautl f1 and Torro rosso with a renault engine this year.
Mclaren just struggle at race pace. Otherwise I think they are almost 4th fastest. I think Perez also coudn't pass vandoorne if they have a bit more pace ( I think vandoorne forced and made a mistake there )
Last edited by etusch on 01 Oct 2017, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

techman
techman

do you know that honda engine package is much smaller than renault, which need more cooling, watch craig scarbs speak about it. mclaren will have to redesign their chassis to accomodate the bigger engine. the smalle engine that honda gives an advantage to mclaren but honda never get credit for this, this advantage will all dissappoer with renault engine.

Sayeman

techman wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 13:36

do you know that honda engine package is much smaller than renault, which need more cooling, watch craig scarbs speak about it. mclaren will have to redesign their chassis to accomodate the bigger engine. the smalle engine that honda gives an advantage to mclaren but honda never get credit for this, this advantage will all dissappoer with renault engine.
Let's wait till next year, to see what happens...Noone knows how things are gonna turn out ...i'm excited.
Never Give up.

nzjrs

God damn it. Can we please keep this topic to 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda and move the bickering / speculation cycle to another thread?

f1universe
f1universe

Sayeman wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 13:11

Heard that Vandoorne is not running the upgraded aero this week, only Fernando is? Mclaren telling us that the aero has delivered as expected, so does that mean Alonso is not delivering or is Mclaren lying about the 95% correlation success? I really want to see how good this chassis is, so looking forward to next year.
Fernando said yesterday the new floor is not delivering as expected and the team was too quick to talk about it. We will see if they have it in both cars or not next week.

Good job by Vandoorme and a little of bad luck for Alonso at the start, everyone on the left side had a slow start, isn't it?

etusch

f1universe wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 14:21
Sayeman wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 13:11

Fernando said yesterday the new floor is not delivering as expected and the team was too quick to talk about it. We will see if they have it in both cars or not next week.

Good job by Vandoorme and a little of bad luck for Alonso at the start, everyone on the left side had a slow start, isn't it?
They are too quick at everything except race track

GoranF1
GoranF1

techman wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 13:36

Then why are RB sidepods and coke bottle area same or even smaller than Mcl?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Nebhotep

https://it.motorsport.com/all/photo/mai ... /?a=960148

Are they allowed in Parc Ferme or is it sneaky from Mclaren to send Matt Morris in?

techman
techman

your are not an engineer but listen to craig scarbs, about the issues mclaren will have to face in 2019 with a renault engine package, redbull has been with renault for some time and their chassis is an evolution, mclaren will have to redesign from scratch and wont be easy. honda engine package was smaller thus giving mclaren an advantage in aero , even though honda never got the credit for this
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13190 ... appens-now check the video around the 2.00 min mark.

OviJohn
OviJohn

techman wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 15:26

your are not an engineer but listen to craig scarbs, about the issues mclaren will have to face in 2019 with a renault engine package, redbull has been with renault for some time and their chassis is an evolution, mclaren will have to redesign from scratch and wont be easy. honda engine package was smaller thus giving mclaren an advantage in aero , even though honda never got the credit for this
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13190 ... appens-now check the video around the 2.00 min mark.
And yet, with all the knowledge and "know how" you continously provide here as "facts", you´re unable to answer directly the question. Instead you resort to post something already posted AND acknowledged by many here: That Mclaren will have difficulties adapting their chasis for the start of the 2018 season due to, *ahem* common sense, lack of experience with the Renault PU. (duh! #-o )

So again, pray tell, how is it that RBR chasis back and sidepod area is as slim as Macca with that "huge" Renault PU?

techman
techman

So again, pray tell, how is it that RBR chasis back and sidepod area is as slim as Macca with that "huge" Renault PU?

its not slim, your just biased because mclaren are going to run the renault. first check the video and see someone with knowledge explain this. you and i can say differently but craig scrabs explains it perfectly. craig scarbs is a reputed chassis/ aero technical analyst. listen to him when he talks about mclaren will need to make room to put the renault engine package compared to the smaller compact honda engine. and from all the renault running team. renault f1 work team is still lagging behind and TR is lagging behind redbull. redbull is the most efficient chassis due the the genius adrian newey. just imagine if redbull run a honda engine, that redbull will get more aero advantage from a smaller honda engine and adrian newey would be able shrink the chassis even further.

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

techman wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 16:15

its not slim, your just biased because mclaren are going to run the renault. first check the video and see someone with knowledge explain this. you and i can say differently but craig scrabs explains it perfectly. craig scarbs is a reputed chassis/ aero technical analyst. listen to him when he talks about mclaren will need to make room to put the renault engine package compared to the smaller compact honda engine. and from all the renault running team. renault f1 work team is still lagging behind and TR is lagging behind redbull. redbull is the most efficient chassis due the the genius adrian newey. just imagine if redbull run a honda engine, that redbull will get more aero advantage from a smaller honda engine and adrian newey would be able shrink the chassis even further.
https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/14/79/55/26/c5sutg10.jpg
So you don’t think this is slim?

Soichiro
Soichiro

Dipesh1995 wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 16:26
techman wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 16:15

https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/14/79/55/26/c5sutg10.jpg
So you don’t think this is slim?
No actually is not that slim. Check it in the 3D (top rear side view) not just the top "cross line" at the back - look at the width through the whole vertical line where the engine is.

But the colors might do some tricks too.