Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Craigy

Re: Honda Power Unit

dren wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 17:13
godlameroso wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 16:43
Power is a function of force over time.
Work over time, maybe...
Agreed, godlamerso.

An easy-ish way to remember what force is: There's a force holding everything on the ground: gravity.
There's no actual work happening to achieve this.
No energy is expended keeping things that are already on the ground where they are.

dren

When will gravity become more efficient?
Honda!

Webber2011
Webber2011

dren wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 18:35
When will gravity become more efficient?
When we race F1 on Jupiter ?

Hahaha, I have no idea how to make gravity more efficient to be honest, but I'd love to know if it's possible 😯

godlameroso

And a supercritical atmosphere reducing drag will be at a premium.
Saishū kōnā

roon
roon

No refueling needed since you'd be driving through the solar system's largest fuel tank. Trillions of GPs later, FIA institutes an efficiency formula in response to Jupiterian climate change.

shady
shady

I know its jokes... however for every action there is an equal and opposite.

The cars are pushing against the ground and the ground is pushing back; thats how they move. I actually think its in the regulations.

e: it is..

1.3 Land vehicle :
A locomotive device propelled by its own means, moving by constantly taking real support on
the earth's surface, of which the propulsion and steering are under the control of a driver
aboard the vehicle.

Big Tea

shady wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 22:04
I know its jokes... however for every action there is an equal and opposite.

The cars are pushing against the ground and the ground is pushing back; thats how they move. I actually think its in the regulations.

e: it is..

1.3 Land vehicle :
A locomotive device propelled by its own means, moving by constantly taking real support on
the earth's surface, of which the propulsion and steering are under the control of a driver
aboard the vehicle.
Was that not a Pirelli advert a few ears back?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

loner

GhostF1 wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 02:40
Wazari wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 22:24
Yes I meant the "boxer" engine camshafts. Some of you are spot on on your assumptions.

I hear that dyno testing is going well in terms of reliability and efficiency. After accomplishing those targets comes power. The baseline for the 618 is done and running. They are many more innovations in the pipeline which I highly doubt the other manufacturers will have in 2018 or ever for that matter, that Honda will try and fully incorporate by mid-season.

I would like to see the fuel flow limit go away and allow refueling during a race. This is racing....????
This quote fascinates me. That's a super confident claim, especially while they are still trying to reach a strong baseline, but I never underestimate the Japanese, especially a company as large as this with as much pressure that's in been faced with. I'm hoping for an enormous reaction! I'm very excited to see what Honda pulls out of the hat this year 😃.
don't hold your breath he said spec 4 is a pleasant surprise few months ago :lol:
like they say.. when i see it i'll believe it , would be a great karma between RBR and Mclaren though :mrgreen:
para bellum.

Wazari

loner wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 23:05
GhostF1 wrote:
Wazari wrote:
Yes I meant the "boxer" engine camshafts. Some of you are spot on on your assumptions.

I hear that dyno testing is going well in terms of reliability and efficiency. After accomplishing those targets comes power. The baseline for the 618 is done and running. They are many more innovations in the pipeline which I highly doubt the other manufacturers will have in 2018 or ever for that matter, that Honda will try and fully incorporate by mid-season.

I would like to see the fuel flow limit go away and allow refueling during a race. This is racing....????
This quote fascinates me. That's a super confident claim, especially while they are still trying to reach a strong baseline, but I never underestimate the Japanese, especially a company as large as this with as much pressure that's in been faced with. I'm hoping for an enormous reaction! I'm very excited to see what Honda pulls out of the hat this year 😃.
don't hold your breath he said spec 4 is a pleasant surprise few months ago :lol:
like they say.. when i see it i'll believe it , would be a great karma between RBR and Mclaren though :mrgreen:
"Spec 4" could have been implemented last season but for a myriad of reasons it was not.

The baseline for the 618's numbers is an improvement over the most recent 617. I can't go into specifics.

"Innovations" have to do with the ICE's components and ERS processes.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

bigblue

Wazari wrote:
[...] They are many more innovations in the pipeline which I highly doubt the other manufacturers will have in 2018 or ever for that matter, that Honda will try and fully incorporate by mid-season [...]
As Mr. Eastwood would say, do you feel lucky, punk ? :-) Motorbikes, but it's the Honda way : https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opin ... -easy-road Honda, they're nuts, but that's why we love 'em !

godlameroso

Wazari wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 23:35
loner wrote:
GhostF1 wrote:

"Spec 4" could have been implemented last season but for a myriad of reasons it was not.

The baseline for the 618's numbers is an improvement over the most recent 617. I can't go into specifics.

Leaving us no choice but to guess, I think similar step forward Renault made from 2015 to ~middle of 2016, with more to come ~ summer break. If the Toro Rosso can make it to the upper midfield by years end it'll be an accomplishment but not an unrealistic one. 2018 probably has the most pressure to perform than any other year, and not just for Honda.

Ferrari cannot afford to play second fiddle, and Vettel and Raikkonen's carrers will be defined by 2018.
Mercedes cannot afford to stop developing as it's advantage grows smaller and smaller each season with any mistake made.
Honda must prove to itself that they can win in this formula, that they have the talent and the vision. Red Bull can become a very powerful ally if they play their cards right, they themselves are facing competition now from McLaren and Renault themselves.

This year Honda is not constrained by another car manufacturer, which I imagine is why the process is so much more transparent. Honda has a lot more leverage, and the freedom to do things the Honda way, but with enough reservation to work with the team building their chassis.

I feel that the steps forward Honda took in 2017 showed that they understand the path they need to follow, the recipe is good but not quite there yet, like a slightly underseasoned dish.

Finally, I don't think any team will be able to comply with reliability, every team will take at least one grid penalty, I'll be very surprised if they don't.
Saishū kōnā

ME4ME

godlameroso wrote:
27 Jan 2018, 01:32

Leaving us no choice but to guess, I think similar step forward Renault made from 2015 to ~middle of 2016, with more to come ~ summer break. If the Toro Rosso can make it to the upper midfield by years end it'll be an accomplishment but not an unrealistic one. 2018 probably has the most pressure to perform than any other year, and not just for Honda.
Not unrealistic but rather optimistic in my opinion. Upper midfield, that would be Renault and Force India. Given the driver line-up, experience, stability, resources (Renault) and PU (Force India) I think it will be unlikely for Toro Rosso to beat them over the season, or even match them at the end of the season performance wise. It's been a while since Toro Rosso truely had a great car - the beginning of 2015. I think beating Williams, Haas and Sauber will be as good as can be reasonably be expected.

That said, with the knowledge that Toro Rosso is a solid midfield team with limited budget, Honda's progress shouldn't be judged purely on Toro Rosso's end-of-year-ranking. It will be reliability and solid continues progress that will most strongly indicate how Honda is doing. I'm expecting that if it goes well, we will hear about it from the Red Bull camp sooner rather than later.

loner

Wazari wrote:
loner wrote:
GhostF1 wrote:

well perhaps you do live on cloud number 9 claiming innovations in the pipeline that you highly doubt the other manufacturers will have in 2018 or ever for that matter
i'll believe it when i see it.
para bellum.

HPD

Wazari wrote:
Surely this was what Asaki meant, when he said he wanted half a season to demonstrate all the power of this PU. Start reliably and add power ("innovations") with the updates.

Marko: "Honda is very active and has already found something. Maybe they manage to be on the level of Renault with the second engine. Honda had to compromise on the McLaren chassis specification. They could not develop freely and were pretty limited."
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... 11539.html

Wazari

loner wrote:
27 Jan 2018, 14:54
Wazari wrote:
loner wrote:

well perhaps you do live on cloud number 9 claiming innovations in the pipeline that you highly doubt the other manufacturers will have in 2018 or ever for that matter
i'll believe it when i see it.
I don't live on cloud number 9 but I hear it is a nice neighborhood. "Ever" meaning under this current PU formula (2020). We now have a very good idea what the other 3 have been doing with regards to what people are calling "TJI" although it's really not TJI but similar, and what HRD will bring with it's on unique combustion process that cannot be easily duplicated.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro