Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Zynerji

Re: Honda Power Unit

Mudflap wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 14:20
Wazari wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 03:09
bigblue wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 21:56
So wazari, why would you patent technologies used in F1 ? Doesn't that make all your "secrets" public ?
Because they're not strictly for F1. Secrets being made public isn't the issue. Anyone can try to copy an idea. The question is do they fully understand the idea, do they have all the resources to implement that idea and if stolen then a patent can help you protect your idea, assuming you have the resources to enforce that patent.
Im sure those amateurs at Ferrari and Mercedes lack the resources and brainpower to make sense of such good ideas.
Having built some things in my life, I can say that there are several times that I have succeeded purely by accident. The 3d metal printer I've been developing for 4 years now is only possible because of the random chance mistakes that I have made.

I can tell you a lot about my printer functionality, but that doesn't mean your brilliant reverse engineers can copy it, simply because their cat didn't knock something over, and expose an answer that was never expected. Nor did they have a child with an unrelated homework problem that just happened to be exactly the right way to solve alignment issues..

Not all understanding is from hard work. Sometimes the secret in the sauce is pure, dumb, luck.

Sieper

But you do have to work hard to make enough mistakes to make a mistake that is actually beneficial! :D

godlameroso

There's only one most correct answer, and far more wrong ones. Takes effort to weed out all the wrong ones.
Saishū kōnā

Snorked
Snorked

A post on the Japanese 2channel Honda PU thread says they've reached 937bhp, what does Wazari think?

McMika98
McMika98

Snorked wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 20:06
A post on the Japanese 2channel Honda PU thread says they've reached 937bhp, what does Wazari think?
Fingers crossed that level is reproducible on track.
Anything less would be disaster for Honda. As it is still less than what Merc had last year and kinda expect a bump of about 30 hp this year from them. They have claimed throne to the 1000hp summit albeit on dyno and posted the first official 2018 video of all teams with Toto beaming a conniving grin.

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

Zynerji wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 15:30

Having built some things in my life, I can say that there are several times that I have succeeded purely by accident. The 3d metal printer I've been developing for 4 years now is only possible because of the random chance mistakes that I have made.

I can tell you a lot about my printer functionality, but that doesn't mean your brilliant reverse engineers can copy it, simply because their cat didn't knock something over, and expose an answer that was never expected. Nor did they have a child with an unrelated homework problem that just happened to be exactly the right way to solve alignment issues..

Not all understanding is from hard work. Sometimes the secret in the sauce is pure, dumb, luck.
The thing is that the probabily as well as quality of the "lucky accident" innovation is proportional to the capability, budget and number of engineers.

If the secret is indeed pure dumb luck what are the chances that Wazari has been lucky 6 times? The fact that Honda had to L&C to finish races while being massively underpowered seem to contradict that.

Anyway, what triggered me is that fact that he seemed to suggest that whatever the inventions were, they are beyond the comprehension of other engineers. I find that a bit rich considering that all other engine manufacturers (maybe bar Renault) are in a class above Honda.

Another point I always like to make is what does it take to make a winning engine ? Does it require a great deal of innovation or is it sufficient to just design everything really well within the confines of current technology ? I tend to lean toward the latter.
If you look at the DFV it did not really have any ground-breaking features. It was just really really well thought out. Nose fed cranks, stressed engines, included valve angle, compliant drives, etc had all been done before. Every now and then an AlBemet piston or prechamber injection thing comes out but even then they are really just an optimization of existing technology. Good engines are made by experienced engineers that slowly build up on a very solid foundation.

If Honda brings in dozens of green youngsters that all dream of forked rods, compressors in vee and othe nonsense but can't fix a basic torsional vibration or oil slosh issue then it is all pointless.

HPD

Snorked wrote:
I think it refers to the article by Stringer2. This graphic is just a "wish". He also says that we will not know where each team is until the preseason tests

Wazari

ringo wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 06:50
Wazari wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 01:57
If you don't suffer from eternal optimism then you don't belong in auto-racing. Also back in 2015, I was pretty sure that McLaren Honda would have grabbed a couple of podiums in 2016.

The reason I don't think the combustion process design will be duplicated is that after numerous patent searches, I have applied for six different patents for this design.
So.. you are out of Retirement and back on the Honda F1 engineering team? :wink:
No enjoying retirement. Patent was applied for months ago.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

Zynerji

Wazari wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 00:34
ringo wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 06:50
Wazari wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 01:57
If you don't suffer from eternal optimism then you don't belong in auto-racing. Also back in 2015, I was pretty sure that McLaren Honda would have grabbed a couple of podiums in 2016.

The reason I don't think the combustion process design will be duplicated is that after numerous patent searches, I have applied for six different patents for this design.
So.. you are out of Retirement and back on the Honda F1 engineering team? :wink:
No enjoying retirement. Patent was applied for months ago.
Retirement is going to drive me bonkers.

I hope to have a very respectable home shop by then, so i can just build stuff after i no longer have a day job, or im literally going to go insane.

Wazari

Snorked wrote:
8) 8) I think that's an interesting number. How old is that article. Maybe conservative by now???

I have things and projects to work on everyday. I am in my workshop or office at least 10 hours a day. Definitely not boring..............

BTW two patents I own have nothing to do with automobiles. One is an irrigation, sprinkler product and the other is a cart to haul drywall.

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

carisi2k

What is your sprinkler patent? As someone who is currently working on a watering system for my fathers garden that sounds interesting.

carisi2k

If the new Honda unit has 980hp then expect Red Bull to create rumblings to get out of the Renault contract. I am on the record saying that if the Honda unit makes a big leap in 2018 then expect Red Bull to break it's Renault contract as soon as possible rather then wait a year.

wuzak
wuzak

techman wrote:
02 Feb 2018, 12:50
another honda bashing video made by mclaren team. mclaren wanted the money from them and also to put all the blame on honda. and this was there opportunity to do so. and they knew alonso will say bad about honda so it basically perfect drama for TV. wonder if the production team ever talk to honda engineers about their difficulties faced by mclaren as wazari pointed out. anyway what will be funny if mclaren fail to match redbull in terms of pace having boasted about their chassis as the one of the best. if they didnt match them, it will only make mclaren look like fools and expose that chassis which i always believed was overated due to running more downforce to look good on corners and not as efficient as a redbull. unfortuanetly for honda there was no strong leader to defend them. hopefully this new honda leader is not scared to speak up orelse the media will only listen to a one side story.
To be fair, McLaren most likely agreed to the documentary long before the scope of the 2017 was going to be known.

McLaren and Honda had made progress in 2016 - improved reliability and performance - which would have given them hope for the 2017 season. Then it all went bad.

Regarding the fitting of the engine to the chassis and the gearbox to the engine, aren't the mounting points specified in the rules? That is position and size of bolts/holes.

Wazari

carisi2k wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 01:22
What is your sprinkler patent? As someone who is currently working on a watering system for my fathers garden that sounds interesting.
That patent was obtained over 35 years ago and has long expired. It was a type of impact sprinkler head.

Back on topic, I think that 980 HP is being very optimistic at this time. Good or bad, Honda has taken a very aggressive and innovative approach to 2018. The overall architecture remains the same but big changes in the intake and combustion process should be forthcoming as well as a MGU-H unit. Obviously the goal is to surpass Mercedes and while difficult, not impossible. I think a more realistic number would be 980 HP by mid-season.

-- Honda Soichiro

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

I thought the goal last season was to catch up with Renault.

The aggressive and innovative approach sounds a lot like more unscheduled visits to the garage.