2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McHonda
McHonda

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

restless wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 15:32
could be. all "old" marks I see are from the other side - and are darker. I assumed both sides were equally burned... maybe not.

https://scontent-frx5-1.cdninstagram.co ... 8688_n.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXIqbKtW0AEXy0v.jpg

So, are there 2 covers - with numbers 2 and 14, or they just put the numbers?!
Here's the photo from before it even hit the track this morning and yeah they switch the numbers.

CjC
CjC

cyclon wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 15:37
McHonda wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 15:25
restless wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 15:17
I'm pretty sure the burn marks were different last week - way more darker&pronounced...
so this is not the original cover

Also according to Fabregas the engine cover was cut in order to get even better cooling
https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 3767820288
The burn marks were visible when the car first came out this morning and was waiting at pit end. There's a photo of it in this or the car thread. It's the same engine cover or it happened on the way to the end of the pit lane , the journos just want something to write about and a nice picture to highlight the cooling issue. Lazy journalism at its best.

The extra cooling slots are legit though.
Thumps Up !!!
Today's problem was the double electrical shutdown and the odd thing about it was that Sainz had the almost the same problem! :roll:
Sainz's failure would be Peter Prodromou's fault too according to some :roll:
Just a fan's point of view

Jolle
Jolle

CjC wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 16:00
cyclon wrote:
McHonda wrote:

The burn marks were visible when the car first came out this morning and was waiting at pit end. There's a photo of it in this or the car thread. It's the same engine cover or it happened on the way to the end of the pit lane , the journos just want something to write about and a nice picture to highlight the cooling issue. Lazy journalism at its best.

The extra cooling slots are legit though.
Thumps Up !!!
Today's problem was the double electrical shutdown and the odd thing about it was that Sainz had the almost the same problem! :roll:
A new fall guys is selected?

What I find strange, that McLarens biggest sponsor isn't on the engine cover. Embarrassment? (hint: it's McLaren). or is that mean? :P

cyclon

Jolle wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 16:08
CjC wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 16:00
cyclon wrote:

Thumps Up !!!
A new fall guys is selected?

What I find strange, that McLarens biggest sponsor isn't on the engine cover. Embarrassment? (hint: it's McLaren). or is that mean? :P
I have to agree with this ! Where is the McLaren logo. It should be there on the Engine cover...
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

cyclon

I hope that the times are not representative !!!
We hit rock bottom today!
Not to mention lap count !

:oops:
#-o
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

RonDennis
RonDennis

Alonso Fan wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 15:40
Giblet wrote:
You simply can't not laugh about it.

I can because I am not petty like some people. I don't revel in the failures of others.

That being said me thinks you are all being a little aggressive about McLaren in the preseason test.

Moving to a new PU has issues for most teams.

In 2014 Red Bull WON RACES and their test was a complete and utter shambles. They were cutting holes, drilling, didn't fit the PU to the car until the actual test, had cooling issues etc, fuel flow issues etc. and that was when they were the "de facto" works team.
Have to agree with this. The fact that Toro Rosso hasn't had any problems so far isn't the norm but rather surprising
Well, Toro Rosso is also quite bulky at the back. I only hear them talking about giving Honda freedom, which doesn't sound very F1 to me. F1 is pushing the limits, just look at what Mercedes have done with their back of the car and PU in the last winter, it's freaking impressive. People should just accept that nobody is going to stop Mercedes. I always hear Red Bull talk about that they would be miles ahead of Mercedes with the same engine, but I seriously doubt that their chassis is actually better.

cyclon

RonDennis wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 16:41
Alonso Fan wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 15:40
Giblet wrote:
You simply can't not laugh about it.

I can because I am not petty like some people. I don't revel in the failures of others.

That being said me thinks you are all being a little aggressive about McLaren in the preseason test.

Moving to a new PU has issues for most teams.

In 2014 Red Bull WON RACES and their test was a complete and utter shambles. They were cutting holes, drilling, didn't fit the PU to the car until the actual test, had cooling issues etc, fuel flow issues etc. and that was when they were the "de facto" works team.
Have to agree with this. The fact that Toro Rosso hasn't had any problems so far isn't the norm but rather surprising
Well, Toro Rosso is also quite bulky at the back. I only hear them talking about giving Honda freedom, which doesn't sound very F1 to me. F1 is pushing the limits, just look at what Mercedes have done with their back of the car and PU in the last winter, it's freaking impressive.

https://www.formula1.com/content/fom-we ... 702447.jpg
Toro Rosso is Red Bull's mule car !
I think that explains everything!

BrunoH
BrunoH

well it stopped again so.. they managed to do most laps in the freezing cold were its not very representative.. and fail again today.

cyclon

16:52 It's Vandoorne stopped at Turn 3...
16:52 Red flag!

Ok It's ridiculous.

I am afraid someone destroyed my beloved team !

:x :cry:
Last edited by cyclon on 06 Mar 2018, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

cyclon wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 16:54
16:52 It's Vandoorne stopped at Turn 3...
16:52 Red flag!

Ok It's ridiculous
But not entirely unexpected...I think anyone who watched the Mclaren Doc an amazon would say that the team seemed to be a pretty chaotic place.

cliffgamerz
cliffgamerz

[media]https://twitter.com/F1destinations/stat ... 72/photo/1[/media]

Nice image for a wallpaper lol =D>

(Nice orange Theme)
Last edited by cliffgamerz on 06 Mar 2018, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.

restless
restless

Thats a joke :x

Avocado
Avocado

bonjon1979 wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 16:55
I think anyone who watched the Mclaren Doc an amazon would say that the Honda team seemed to be pretty chaotic
Fixed that for you.

RonDennis
RonDennis

I called Honda amateurs various times, but I could say the same thing about McLaren this winter.
Last edited by RonDennis on 06 Mar 2018, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.

cyclon

RonDennis wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 17:05
I called Honda amateurs various times, but I could say the same thing about McLaren this winter.
It's crucial!
If this year the team does not succeed in 4th or even 5th place then it will become mediocre for now on !