2018 pre-season testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
LeClerc

Re: 2018 pre-season testing thread

Restomaniac wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 11:59
The only problem with that is that as much as the grinding noise fits does blue smoke pouring out of the back support it?
Whatever it was, I hope they can fix it and stop breaking down every 2 laps.

As an Alonso-hater, I'm starting to get blisters from rubbing my hands together. This will not do!
It is I, LeClerc!

cyclon

Restomaniac wrote:
cyclon wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 11:55
Squid wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 11:50
Here's a video of the car breaking down (Facebook).

The sound is... not good.
I am afraid of gearbox to engine teething problems ....
By the way what is the made of STR gearbox?
The only problem with that is that as much as the grinding noise fits does blue smoke pouring out of the back support it?
Hhhmm....
While Alonso and Leclerc are out of action for obvious reasons, Sainz's Renault has also been absent for a while now. The team is investigating a gearbox problem.
Hhhmm....
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

Vladimir
Vladimir

Seems that is sound of gearbox related problem.

Anthropolyte
Anthropolyte

If it is the gearbox, is that an engine swap? Or would they be able to replace the 'box and get going again this morning?

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Raikkonen is going fast on SS but only marginally faster than Haas on the same tyre yesterday. They’re short stints too. I wonder if they’ve got 10-15 laps of fuel onboard and just do 3-4 laps so everyone immediately assumes they’re doing quali sims orrrr... if they’ve got issues and are slow.

I’m assuming the first but the media and rumblings from other teams suggests the latter...

Vladimir
Vladimir

cyclon wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 12:12
Restomaniac wrote:
cyclon wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 11:55

I am afraid of gearbox to engine teething problems ....
By the way what is the made of STR gearbox?
Hhhmm....

While Alonso and Leclerc are out of action for obvious reasons, Sainz's Renault has also been absent for a while now. The team is investigating a gearbox problem.
Hhhmm....

Renault use all new carbon gearbox this year, so problems are possible.

cyclon

Anthropolyte wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 12:19
If it is the gearbox, is that an engine swap? Or would they be able to replace the 'box and get going again this morning?
Depends on packaging but in any case i doubt we will see the car before lunch time !
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

f1316
f1316

JPBD1990 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 12:21
Raikkonen is going fast on SS but only marginally faster than Haas on the same tyre yesterday. They’re short stints too. I wonder if they’ve got 10-15 laps of fuel onboard and just do 3-4 laps so everyone immediately assumes they’re doing quali sims orrrr... if they’ve got issues and are slow.

I’m assuming the first but the media and rumblings from other teams suggests the latter...
Yeah, the Haas time is a bit of a red-herring - like Williams in 2015, for example.

Is Magnussen 1.2s quicker than Hamilton on the same tyre? Of course not. They'll inevitably use less fuel than the big boys.

LM10
LM10

I think Hamilton is doing a race sim now.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

LM10 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 12:25
I think Hamilton is doing a race sim now.
Indeed. If Hamilton was telling the truth about their car always running with plenty of fuel in it. I do wonder if they are going to bother with a qualy test at all?

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

f1316 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 12:24
JPBD1990 wrote:

Yeah, the Haas time is a bit of a red-herring - like Williams in 2015, for example.

Is Magnussen 1.2s quicker than Hamilton on the same tyre? Of course not. They'll inevitably use less fuel than the big boys.
No doubt at all. My comparison was only between Ferrari and Haas as there is absolutely zero doubt the Haas was on fumes. The question is... is the Ferrari on fumes? The other teams and the media seem to be suggesting so... “concern at ferrari” headlines combined with comments from Toto and Helmut that Ferrari is lagging behind give this impression. So I guess the question is, is Ferrari only a few tenths faster than Haas on the same tyre, or are they comfortably fat with fuel and the media/teams are blowing smoke up our butts?

MtthsMlw

Track temperature is now 34° nearly 15° higher than yesterday morning.

Phil

I think it’s the race sim that was less impressive which is what is suggesting that Ferrari may be a bit behind, NOT some arbitrary quick runs with an undisclosed amount of fuel.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Phil wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 12:32
I think it’s the race sim that was less impressive which is what is suggesting that Ferrari may be a bit behind, NOT some arbitrary quick runs with an undisclosed amount of fuel.
Agree, but from my (admittedly completely amateurish) analysis - Ferrari were comfortably ahead of redbull on pace in the long run... it’s just an oddly confusing preseason this one.

CriXus
CriXus

JPBD1990 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 12:29
f1316 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 12:24
JPBD1990 wrote:

No doubt at all. My comparison was only between Ferrari and Haas as there is absolutely zero doubt the Haas was on fumes. The question is... is the Ferrari on fumes? The other teams and the media seem to be suggesting so... “concern at ferrari” headlines combined with comments from Toto and Helmut that Ferrari is lagging behind give this impression. So I guess the question is, is Ferrari only a few tenths faster than Haas on the same tyre, or are they comfortably fat with fuel and the media/teams are blowing smoke up our butts?
The media could not know how much fuel Ferrari have during the "qualy" laps. It is pure speculation and mind games.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw