2018 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 22 -25 March

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Re: 2018 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 22 -25 March

GPR-A wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 16:02
Restomaniac wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 13:51
Santozini wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 13:42

Well, if they stated it, we shall believe. After all, F1 teams are know for their openness and reliable source of information, especially about what they do on the background to win races.
The F1 paddock is known to leak info like a sieve and yet no info popped up saying it was BS. Strange that.
Whether it is GPTechnical or any other internet forum on this planet, everyone relies on rumors, speculation, insider leaks, team's PR statements from officials and various other types of channels to seek information about teams and we all rely on that information. That is how the whole of internet information is and for the purpose of arguments/discussions, it is the source of truth. It is that simple. Those who want real facts, should do everything possible to join the a team's inner sanctum and then be satisfied with the EXACT TRUTH. If they can't do it, then either accept the norm of the internet discussion, which is rumors/speculations/leaks/official team statements as closest to the truth and move on OR quit the internet and stay at peace. No point in challenging people here for EXACT TRUTH.
TBH my point was that the total lack of kick off by Ferrari, RedBull and the Mercedes customers as well as naff all rumours points to Mercedes not actually lying in this regard. I understand that rumours are as such however not many things in F1 happen without bits and bobs getting leaked.

Like I say on this regard after the Wolff made his statement if there were questions being asked by others those questions would have found a way into the public domain. The fact none did speaks volumes.

giantfan10
giantfan10

Restomaniac wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 13:49
santos wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 13:41
Restomaniac wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 13:35
It's clear he understood that and I think you have missed his point.

Mercedes stated that even though they were changed before the regs they would be ran as if they had been introduced afterwards.
Why should we belive in a statement? If they could use that advantage, why wouldn't they use?
Yet no other team in F1 really questioned that statement. No customer team, not Ferrari and not RedBull. Plus no rumours to the contrary came out of a F1 paddock that can't keep any secrets. If Ferrari, RedBull and the FIA had seen what they would class as bending the rules they would have screamed blue murder and yet.....they didn't.

Sorry but it came across to me as Mercedes giving Ferrari the middle finger. With a 'look we can do this easy' attitude.
Why would any other team waste their time questioning which limit Mercedes was burning oil to? it was perfectly legal for Mercedes to burn oil to the 1.2 l per 100km limit.Thats the reason they switched engines before the deadline.
What was there to complain about when the rules were crystal clear in that they were allowed to burn to 1.2?
Who was enforcing these limits at the time and how was it enforced?
i think its very naive to believe Toto when he said that they would adhere to the new burning limit.Why did they switch engines off schedule then?
On another note its pretty interesting observing the amount of bravado coming out of the Mercedes camp.Is it because they are way ahead and confident?

RZS10

Isn't there some "endless speculation and banter about oil burning" thread? :lol:

I just wonder how they want to weigh the oil tanks?

Apart from the fact that it would take a very long time to take them out and there's just 2h between FP3 and Q so the "randomly picked" team would have a huge disadvantage going into quali with an increased risk of a botched reassembly of the car - i doubt you can take them out without oil leakage in the first place ... those parts surely were not designed with that in mind...

Could it be some misunderstanding or something being lost in translation?
A more feasible way of doing it would be forcing the team to bleed all the oil, measure the added amount, make sure they do not refill before quali, bleed the oil after quali and measure what comes out ....

Jolle
Jolle

RZS10 wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 18:03
Isn't there some "endless speculation and banter about oil burning" thread? :lol:

I just wonder how they want to weigh the oil tanks?

Apart from the fact that it would take a very long time to take them out and there's just 2h between FP3 and Q so the "randomly picked" team would have a huge disadvantage going into quali with an increased risk of a botched reassembly of the car - i doubt you can take them out without oil leakage in the first place ... those parts surely were not designed with that in mind...

Could it be some misunderstanding or something being lost in translation?
A more feasible way of doing it would be forcing the team to bleed all the oil, measure the added amount, make sure they do not refill before quali, bleed the oil after quali and measure what comes out ....
Simple, all teams will at some point during the weekend (or on thursday) split the car en PU, to do regular maintenance. Every team has a FIA official and at that point the oil tank can be weight and sealed with a sticker.

RZS10

Yea but the article literally said that they want to take out the tank pre- and post qualifying and weigh it in an empty and then a full state ... and how would sealing it on thursday help measure the oil usage during qualifying?

Jolle
Jolle

RZS10 wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 18:32
Yea but the article literally said that they want to take out the tank pre- and post qualifying and weigh it in an empty and then a full state ... and how would sealing it on thursday help measure the oil usage during qualifying?
Then I didn't read the article :D

dans79

giantfan10 wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 17:57
On another note its pretty interesting observing the amount of bravado coming out of the Mercedes camp.Is it because they are way ahead and confident?
What media are you following, everything i have been reading has them saying its very close.
201 105 104 9 9 7

RZS10

Jolle wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 18:37
RZS10 wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 18:32
[...]
Then I didn't read the article :D
this post
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=27103&start=210#p749864

article, 4th par.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... lien-2018/

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

GPR-A wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 16:44
Why are they using so many VLC Players?
I know I'm going to sound thick here but VLC?

RZS10

VLC media player ... the logo/symbol:

Dazed1
Dazed1

RZS10 wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 20:14
https://images.videolan.org/images/VLC-IconSmall.png
I got it so I got it. ;)

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

RZS10 wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 20:14
https://images.videolan.org/images/VLC-IconSmall.png
Ahh. Thanks.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Start of the season....new "owners", the guns of marketing...... first practice tomorrow.....quick look at gptoday that collates most of the F! sites....and nothing much at all......churchmouse stuff....barcelona in the snow made more news

Godius

FIA makes start light change to help visibility with halo

An extra set of starting lights wil be positioned to the left side of the track at a lower position by request of the drivers. In pre-season testing drivers on the front row(s) complained about not being able to see the normal start light clearly enough.

Vasconia

dans79 wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 18:51
giantfan10 wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 17:57
What media are you following, everything i have been reading has them saying its very close.
The last thing I have read is that Mercedes has an even stronger qualy mode.

RB says they could be 0,5 seconds behind and both say that it will be a 3 teams championshipt. I dont say they are lying but it looks more that they are trying to sell us the "product".