Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
cplchanb
cplchanb

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

i wonder if merc has any plans to install aero devices on their halo. them and rb are the only teams not to have anything on the thongs.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 May 2018, 06:26
Thunder wrote:
15 May 2018, 12:19
JPBD1990 wrote:
15 May 2018, 10:54

Could just be the angle/lighting...
It's real.
https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 4261682177
Meh. Just another level of advertising. Its the new fad that's going on now: 3D decals. Blackberry in this case.
Except Blackberry is 7 lumps in a 2, 3, 2 arrangement. The Mercedes is 6 in a 3, 3 configuration.

Sorry, but you don't stick half a dozen big VGs on the sidepods as an advertising gimmick. Weak thinking on your part, I'm afraid. Try harder next time.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

You got me!

On a serious note, these fins are quite interesting. Very sharp edged and an air-foil shape in plan view.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

SparkyAMG

cplchanb wrote:
18 May 2018, 19:51
i wonder if merc has any plans to install aero devices on their halo. them and rb are the only teams not to have anything on the thongs.
Are you sure about that? Both Mercedes and Red Bull have halos with sections that are more wing-like in profile, they're just fully integrated into the halo like they've been moulded on, and not added on like everyone else has done.

Edit: having looked more closely at other teams I'm not so sure now... I'd always thought the halo was pretty much round in profile but perhaps I'm wrong.

LM10
LM10

SparkyAMG wrote:
19 May 2018, 08:27
cplchanb wrote:
Are you sure about that? Both Mercedes and Red Bull have halos with sections that are more wing-like in profile, they're just fully integrated into the halo like they've been moulded on, and not added on like everyone else has done.

Edit: having looked more closely at other teams I'm not so sure now... I'd always thought the halo was pretty much round in profile but perhaps I'm wrong.
I'm not sure, but I can imagine that the halo itself must be identical on every car. Don't think moulding would be allowed. Just adding extra elements.

roon
roon

Correct. The halo is a spec component supplied to the teams by the FIA's supplier. Round tubing with a +20mm (30mm?) free section around the surfaces of the halo for bespoke fairings.

Here's what one looks like painted, no fairings:
Just_a_fan wrote:
19 May 2018, 10:16
Last edited by roon on 19 May 2018, 17:18, edited 2 times in total.

djos

LM10 wrote:
19 May 2018, 08:47
SparkyAMG wrote:
19 May 2018, 08:27
cplchanb wrote:

I'm not sure, but I can imagine that the halo itself must be identical on every car. Don't think moulding would be allowed. Just adding extra elements.
Mercedes and RedBull both have a sculpted aero shroud around their halos, no other teams do this.

Personally I think the FIA should have excluded anything other than a fully enclosed fairing / shroud as all the little winglets etc make the halo look even worse. The Merc and RBR solutions look far better.
"In downforce we trust"

pimpwerx
pimpwerx

dans79 wrote:
17 May 2018, 20:49
I assumed they are using them to try and get some flow from atop the sidepods to roll over the edge and eventually feed the top of the diffuser.
Thanks to you, drens, Wesley and anyone else who responded. That makes sense. After my post, i considered the AoA of the fins and realized they probably weren't angled enough to adequately select the air. I suppose the idea that it helps keep the flow attached (or at least directed towards the diffuser) is true, but the vortexes do a better job since the sidepods in that area aren't long enough for the air to stay properly attached. So spinning it off at those points let's them control it better. Is my thinking wrong there?

Sevach
Sevach

djos wrote:
19 May 2018, 09:00

Mercedes and RedBull both have a sculpted aero shroud around their halos, no other teams do this.

Personally I think the FIA should have excluded anything other than a fully enclosed fairing / shroud as all the little winglets etc make the halo look even worse. The Merc and RBR solutions look far better.
Haas also had this design but Grosjean debuted a winglet style design in Barcelona.

Thunder

Some Posts have been moved to the McLaren Team Thread. (No, that's no Typo. ;) )
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Morteza

So they are definitely gonna use the VGs on the sidepods

What is that in his hands? An instruction on how to install them?

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

dren

Looks like it might show which VG goes where.
Honda!

Webber2011
Webber2011

dren wrote:
23 May 2018, 13:28
Looks like it might show which VG goes where.
Or, he could just be the bloke putting the decals on 😂

F1Krof

The paper is a 2D mold profile controller. You can observe that the VGs have different profile and different curve indentations, since it is very subtle to spot with a naked eye and very easy to fit them in wrong order, they use these paper molds.
Wroom wroom

turbof1

How are they stuck on top of the sidepod? Ductape?
#AeroFrodo