2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
M840TR
M840TR

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

M840TR wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 19:04
Big Tea wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 18:03
GoranF1 wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 17:00

It doesnt work for me
That was my immediate thoughts too. He seems to only have experience in tin racing and endurance. I think it is far different to F1.

But then, there are a lot of smart people in Mclaren and they should know which way is up.
These lot of smart people need to nail a design philosophy and stick to it. Ever since 2010 they come up with something entirely different the next year. It's reminiscent of Lotus back in their championship winning years. Stability, if on right path, is what can be crucial in the end. Redbull and Merc have displayed this since 2010 and Ferrari recently.
I personally think the new direction this year with the nose change has plenty of potential to take the challenge to the top 3

Big Tea

M840TR wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 19:04
Big Tea wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 18:03
GoranF1 wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 17:00

It doesnt work for me
That was my immediate thoughts too. He seems to only have experience in tin racing and endurance. I think it is far different to F1.

But then, there are a lot of smart people in Mclaren and they should know which way is up.
These lot of smart people need to nail a design philosophy and stick to it. Ever since 2010 they come up with something different. It's reminiscent of Lotus back in their championship winning years. Stability, if on right path, is what can be crucial in the end. Redbull and Merc have displayed this since 2010 and Ferrari recently.
I personally think the new direction this year with the nose change has plenty of potential to take the challenge to the top 3
But you can not develop a design principle if it does not work. Refine year after year if you have a good platform, but putting lipstick on a pig just gives you a glamorous pig.

I think it is also the other way around. They do not decide on a model to follow and go out looking for the guru of that ethos, they bring in someone with either a proven record in that style or just someone who has been successful and adapt your design to their knowledge and experience.

If it is someone who had success on the coat tails of another, then those who do the choosing should get advice before drawing up a contract, or they will be in trouble. So did Williams snatch at a glittering prize without studying it?
Does not seem likely, but something is not right
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mclaren111

Does this mean Matt Morris is still in charge of Chassis design ??

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Positive start for Fernando at Le Mans

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... -for-debut
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

godlameroso

The McLaren package is very good for the most part, their aero design just needs some tweaks to become a lot better, granted slapping on parts isn't as easy as it sounds, but they're not in a hopeless situation like some other teams. I'm sure they understand which direction to go in, or they wouldn't have bothered with the new nose.
Saishū kōnā

PhillipM
PhillipM

It's pretty much a waiting game, but the good news is they have new parts arriving for Canada so it looks like they're pushing upgrades at every single race this year now they have the nose working.

diffuser

mclaren111 wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 12:05
Tim Goss was in charge of the Chassis before.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

PhillipM wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 14:33
It's pretty much a waiting game, but the good news is they have new parts arriving for Canada so it looks like they're pushing upgrades at every single race this year now they have the nose working.
Any idea the scope of upgrades for Canada?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

PhillipM
PhillipM

The only thing I know for sure is some new brake tins and ducts went out last week, there's been quite a few flight cases shipped out so maybe we'll see some more parts supposrting the nose, but nothing really large enough to suggest anything big like floor or sidepods. Not yet anyway.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

PhillipM wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 15:10
The only thing I know for sure is some new brake tins and ducts went out last week, there's been quite a few flight cases shipped out so maybe we'll see some more parts supposrting the nose, but nothing really large enough to suggest anything big like floor or sidepods. Not yet anyway.
OK, cool, thanks. There's definitely upward movement, but it's a long road ahead.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

With news of Mclaren joining indyCar gaining traction, taking into consideration that Fernando is a Toyota driver as well, does it seem unlikely they would partner Honda under such circumstances?

mclaren111

diffuser wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 14:45
mclaren111 wrote:

IIRC Tim Goss was Technical Director. PP was Chief Engineer (Aero) and MM was Chief Engineer (Chassis). Both reported to Tim Goss.

Del Boy
Del Boy

godlameroso wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 14:14
The McLaren package is very good for the most part, their aero design just needs some tweaks to become a lot better, granted slapping on parts isn't as easy as it sounds, but they're not in a hopeless situation like some other teams. I'm sure they understand which direction to go in, or they wouldn't have bothered with the new nose.
I agree they are not as bad as some teams, however I think the chassis is lacking traction/mechanical grip. They are running a high rake car and they are behind RB in this area. Albeit they might not be managing tyre squirt which is an aero issue.

diffuser

mclaren111 wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 16:36
diffuser wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 14:45
mclaren111 wrote:

IIRC Tim Goss was Technical Director. PP was Chief Engineer (Aero) and MM was Chief Engineer (Chassis). Both reported to Tim Goss.
Not according to Mclaren's Web site (it still lists) ...

"Tim Goss - As Chief Technical Officer – Chassis, he is responsible for the car’s concept and design alongside Peter Prodromou."

"Matt Morris - McLaren’s Chief Engineering Officer".

GoranF1
GoranF1

godlameroso wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 14:14
Rear suspension is a problem(mechanical point of view) and will stay until new crashtested gearbox arrives.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."