2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
carisi2k

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

He has experience with turbo hybrid prototype cars and he is a red bull employee and the others aren't and he isn't a million miles off the pace. Jenson is finished with F1 and moved on to Japanese GT. I would agree that Wehrlein would make sense for Williams since he is a Mercedes contracted driver and he would be doing a lot better then either stroll or sirotkin.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Big Tea wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 11:39
carisi2k wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 02:16
Big Tea wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 16:31

For what reason. Neither of those old timers are in the red bull family and neither is Kubica, Wehrlein and Norris. This year is a development year for TR and Hartley is giving good feedback while Gasly has had 2 great results. They work well together and the car is getting faster. Hartley helped Gasly in Monaco get to 7th place and so he does play the team game even if he isn't getting the same results as Gasly.
But Hartley has No experience in F1, the others mentioned do. How would he know what the car is capable of if he has no comparison. Somewhat in the way of Williams and RK, but they are not sure how RK's injuries affect his feel and reported feedback, though it has to be better than last years Stroll. This year, I don't know.

Button in particular has experience with a good F1 car and a honda engine combo, and also speaks Japanese so nothing is 'lost in translation'.

I agree it is unlikely to happen, though Masa is hanging about the F1 hive looking bored.
Massa recently signed a multi-year FE deal, so I guess he won't be bored for much longer.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

loner

Marti_EF3 wrote:
28 May 2018, 20:37
https://mobile.twitter.com/AlbertFabreg ... 7881236481

Albert Fabrega says Honda upgraded PU is ready for Canadá right now... And from what he says, only one car will take it at the moment... :shock:
some people translated this as saying Hartley could be replaced in Canada .. now i understand what happend
@andrewbensonf1
McLaren have rejected an approach from Red Bull for @LandoNorris to replace Brendon Hartley at Toro Rosso for the rest of this season. Story soon
para bellum.

NathanOlder

I dont get why Toro Rosso / Honda wanted Mclaren driver Norris. Surely Honda wouldnt want anything related to Mclaren in their car ? Would have been nice, but Mclaren did the right thing, Lando still needs more time in F2 to learn. We all know what happens when you put kids in too early
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

NathanOlder wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 14:01
I dont get why Toro Rosso / Honda wanted Mclaren driver Norris. Surely Honda wouldnt want anything related to Mclaren in their car ? Would have been nice, but Mclaren did the right thing, Lando still needs more time in F2 to learn. We all know what happens when you put kids in too early
I think this approach for Lando proves that the toxicity between Honda & Mclaren is largely imagined and fueled by press and fans. F1 is a small community, and a business. If Toro Rosso and Honda see an opportunity to improve results, why wouldn't they go for it? Frankly, if I was Mclaren, I'd agree. It's like giving him a free learning experience.

mclaren111

Ground Effect wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 14:21
NathanOlder wrote:
I think this approach for Lando proves that the toxicity between Honda & Mclaren is largely imagined and fueled by press and fans. F1 is a small community, and a business. If Toro Rosso and Honda see an opportunity to improve results, why wouldn't they go for it? Frankly, if I was Mclaren, I'd agree. It's like giving him a free learning experience.
I agree. Simply can't understand McLaren's reasoning !! :( :o :(

And have feedback on Honda PU.

PhillipM
PhillipM

The fans in here are far more toxic than the Mclaren and Honda camps are - I know for a fact they're still talking to each other, and frankly many at the Mclaren factories would be happy to go back to Honda for the new engine regs - if they can prove themselves in the TR without the spotlight, pressure and bad press getting in the way.
Honda will not mind one bit at running Lando for Mclaren,

Bill
Bill

It's the brits who are trying indirectly promote their golden boy at Hartley expense , the same people who didn't want Honda pu near mclaren,they are not fooling anyone,the grudge btn mclaren and Honda is really , if someone has to go is Grojean

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Bill wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 14:30
It's the brits who are trying indirectly promote their golden boy at Hartley expense , the same people who didn't want Honda pu near mclaren,they are not fooling anyone,the grudge btn mclaren and Honda is really , if someone has to go is Grojean
I don't agree with that, the story is Toro Rosso approached Mclaren, not the other way around. So far, Toro Rosso have given the "no comment" line, pointing to it being the truth. Lando is doing what he needs to, racing well in F2, that's enough promotion on its own. The grudge is real, in your opinion, doesn't necessarily make it a fact. I think most fans make it a bigger deal than it is. He's obviously a talented driver, and at the moment, Red Bull don't have anybody better in their junior ranks.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Ground Effect wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 14:21
NathanOlder wrote:
More than likely McLaren want to keep Lando as an option in case they have to replace one of the drivers before the end of the season and it's probably as simple as not wanting to put Lando in a position where he might be tempted to join Red Bull's F1 programme and exit McLaren. As for the Honda PU ? While a driver can tell you quite a bit about a PU, that can only take you so far.

dren

I don't see why they wouldn't sign a loan like they do in soccer/football. Norris would get experience but would still be contracted to Mclaren for when/if they want him in their car.
Honda!

Thunder18
Thunder18

Sainz is still a RBR Driver, why would they want outside of the team??

Bill
Bill

Str exists to train young drivers for about 2 years for RBR , developing mclaren drive is contrary to their cause.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Bill wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 15:51
Str exists to train young drivers for about 2 years for RBR , developing mclaren drive is contrary to their cause.
So what happened, they forgot this cause? Because from all indications, they made this approach for an outside driver. F1 is a results driven sport, if the results aren't coming as they should, you take action.