2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
godlameroso

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

max_speed wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 19:10
in fastest lap, alonso did not put the best 2nd sector . 1st sector he lost only tenth then ended up loosing 3 tenth in 2nd and another tenth in final sector. if we take his best 2nd sector then mclaren will be only 3tenth off to fp1 best time close to bottas. and they were also trying different noses on alonso car. so more to come .lets wait for 2nd practice before we start to dance.
Last year's nose?
Saishū kōnā

Alonso Fan

techman wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 19:00
Sky F1 says new engine 30-40hp upgrade and worth 3 /10.

adrian newey say new renault only give 0.1 second. you think those sky broadcaster know more than the adrian newey working in the team. gain mostly likely with new aero bit added not engine.only 0.1 gain from new renault
Adrian Newey is just trying to justify the switch to Honda which most likely will happen (or has been signed already)
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

max_speed
max_speed

godlameroso wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 19:41
max_speed wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 19:10
in fastest lap, alonso did not put the best 2nd sector . 1st sector he lost only tenth then ended up loosing 3 tenth in 2nd and another tenth in final sector. if we take his best 2nd sector then mclaren will be only 3tenth off to fp1 best time close to bottas. and they were also trying different noses on alonso car. so more to come .lets wait for 2nd practice before we start to dance.
Last year's nose?
no looked to be the another version of latest nose, after taking that nose alonso put his fastest lap.

Andres125sx

techman wrote:

adrian newey say new renault only give 0.1 second. you think those sky broadcaster know more than the adrian newey working in the team. gain mostly likely with new aero bit added not engine.only 0.1 gain from new renault
Newey is not a reliable source either, any improvement asigned to the PU is an improvement not asigned to his aero upgrade, so he will always be conservative about the actual PU improvement

Also, RBR is far from prone to praise his PU supplier, they even did renounce to use their brand name :wink:

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Andres125sx wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 19:47
techman wrote:

Newey is not a reliable source either, any improvement asigned to the PU is an improvement not asigned to his aero upgrade, so he will always be conservative about the actual PU improvement

Also, RBR is far from prone to praise his PU supplier, they even did renounce to use their brand name :wink:
Cyril had said a while back that the gain from the updated PU was bigger than their current deficit to Mercedes and Ferrari. I found that hard to believe, Cyril sometimes exaggerates things. But I agree Red Bull would rather eat their front wing than praise Renault.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

diffuser

Alonso Fan wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 19:43
techman wrote:

Adrian Newey is just trying to justify the switch to Honda which most likely will happen (or has been signed already)
The article I read, Newey said "about 1%". The HP increase and lap time was all extrapolated by the writer from the "about 1%". The question is, how much is "about 1%"? Is 2%,3% or 4% about 1%? 1- 4 % are small numbers but translate into a HUGE difference HP.
Last edited by diffuser on 08 Jun 2018, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.

OzanA
OzanA

Mclaren TeamStream FP2
Slightly different run plan to usual this afternoon. Grid position isn’t as important here as race pace, so there’s more of an emphasis on the long run performance than doing a qualifying sim. “This might hurt our competitiveness on the timesheet today – but that doesn’t matter,” says Stoffel’s race engineer Tom Stallard.

dp12
dp12

McLaren Best Of the Rest ???? Especially with Alonso and vandoorne setting laps on US tires

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

So, how were the long-runs?

GoranF1
GoranF1

Not fantastic but its hard to say whit Vandoorne doing none and Alonso has traffic and small amount of laps.

Looks faster than Haas and TR, slower than Renault & FI but not by much.

Mercedes look best.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Jackles-UK

The car looked fairly handy on the Hypersoft tyres but even more so on the Ultrasofts. This is encouraging given that people will be racing to get rid of those Hypersoft tyre as soon as they can to get onto the Ultra/SS tyres in the race.

I get the feeling qualifying 11th/12th would give those cars a massive advantage in starting the race with free choice of a good race tyre, just missing out on Q3 might not be a bad thing as a result.

makecry
makecry

Jackles-UK wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 03:26
The car looked fairly handy on the Hypersoft tyres but even more so on the Ultrasofts. This is encouraging given that people will be racing to get rid of those Hypersoft tyre as soon as they can to get onto the Ultra/SS tyres in the race.

I get the feeling qualifying 11th/12th would give those cars a massive advantage in starting the race with free choice of a good race tyre, just missing out on Q3 might not be a bad thing as a result.
I agree but making up places can be a bit hard with straight line deficit even if they go longer especially if they get stuck behind Haas or FI.

mclaren111

McLaren.com
Vandoorne:
“It’s actually been a reasonable day today. I had an unfortunate touch with the wall in FP2 which cut our day a little bit short, but in general it’s been a positive day. We were quite competitive in FP1, and in FP2 we were looking pretty good as well. We didn’t really run the Hypersoft in FP2. Looking at all that, I think it’s been a good day and I’m looking forward to tomorrow.

“The balance was a bit up and down for me as we tried a lot across both cars today, which was very good learning from the new bits we have here. Tomorrow we’ll put everything in the right spec and I feel confident we’ll be in good shape.

Positive day. Definitely making progress.

GoranF1
GoranF1

If HS is really worth 1.1 as they say Mclaren is back.
I dont want to get my hopes high and then get disapointed.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

GrayGreat
GrayGreat

Does anyone know if they were using new PU or if they will use the new PU from FP3 onwards?