2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Soichiro
Soichiro

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Could be coincidence but I noticed that they are better when air temperatures were above 23 - did not pay attention to track temperatures though...
Maybe a coincidence but they were good at Monaco (24/25) and Bahrain?

Alonso Fan

Revs84 wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 21:54
techman wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 21:47
looks like the mechanical grip is gone. i was hoping they put more rear wing to get more grip. interesting to see the race pace. dont be suprised if hartly qualifies ahead of gasly, a suprise. i feel there is a french connection here, and we know how proud gasly is, he is trying to make renault look good for redbull to sign renault again.
Where did you get that French Connection thing from? Your theories never cease to amaze me :lol:

Also I remember you complaining about drag but now you want more wing? :roll:
:lol: have to agree with this :D

Maybe, y'know, there actually IS some wisdom in running more wing
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

makecry
makecry

techman wrote:
looks like the mechanical grip is gone. i was hoping they put more rear wing to get more grip. interesting to see the race pace. dont be suprised if hartly qualifies ahead of gasly, a suprise. i feel there is a french connection here, and we know how proud gasly is, he is trying to make renault look good for redbull to sign renault again.
Okay, this is some /r/the_donald level bullshit right here. LOL. You do realize decisions are made based on the theoretical data(over and above the on track data) they have? Whatever Gasly does, it's got nothing to do with RedBull's decision.

There is a higher chance of Honda's upgrade not delivering what everyone here hoped for.

etusch

I think this is very early time to judge Honda update. At the end all new engines are updated engines. So if they keep same gap with others and if we assume all other parameters are the same, that means they just can not make it a rival beater, thats it, not bad but not good enough too.
If we look full part of the glass, Hartley is almost same with Alonso which is using updated Renault engine. So we can expect from Gasly to do better than that. Of course Alo also can go faster.

Revs84
Revs84

makecry wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 22:00
techman wrote:
Okay, this is some /r/the_donald level bullshit right here. LOL. You do realize decisions are made based on the theoretical data(over and above the on track data) they have? Whatever Gasly does, it's got nothing to do with RedBull's decision.

There is a higher chance of Honda's upgrade not delivering what everyone here hoped for.
Looking at Tanabe's approach, and how extremely cautious he is, I would dare say they might have been running conservatively today and the real pace will come tomorrow in FP3 after they would have spent all night analysing the data.

Sayeman

etusch wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 22:07
I think this is very early time to judge Honda update. At the end all new engines are updated engines. So if they keep same gap with others and if we assume all other parameters are the same, that means they just can not make it a rival beater, thats it, not bad but not good enough too.
If we look full part of the glass, Hartley is almost same with Alonso which is using updated Renault engine. So we can expect from Gasly to do better than that. Of course Alo also can go faster.
Alo's on ultra, so probably 7-8tenhs faster than the TR's.

Upgrade looks underwhelming, top speed deceiving. Hope it's not a typical 2bhp upgrade.
Last edited by Sayeman on 08 Jun 2018, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
Never Give up.

Sayeman

Hartley said on the radio on the timing app, "Forget the low downforce, just forget it.", and his engineer said "We'll talk about it later".
Never Give up.

techman
techman

the problem is other midfield teams brought aero updates with the engine update. but toro rosso no updates, cant blame them , they got no resources to develop quickly

Stef
Stef

Hartley has the 2nd best top speed of the day, how is that deceiving ?

Sayeman

Stef wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 22:21
Hartley has the 2nd best top speed of the day, how is that deceiving ?
Low downforce, hurting lap time to show high top speeds
Never Give up.

techman
techman

there has to be a balance in canada. because if you run very low downforce you loose time in the slow twistly sections. and you cant run very high dowforce because you will loose on straights. toro rosso have gone bit low here, and it hurts them in getting mechanical grip and also loose time on the twisty sections. better to add bit more rear wing and go for a middle ground on downforce. and if you loose mechanical grip before the long straight any car with drs will overtake regardless if you have very good top speed.

Bill
Bill

Str has new updates in Monaco they brought a new floor

loner

so Gasly did 39 laps but 6 tenths behind Hrtley ?!!
i'd bet they were just coding the new PU and Gasly will shine tomorrow
para bellum.

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

loner wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 22:34
so Gasly did 39 laps but 6 tenths behind Hrtley ?!!
i'd bet they were just coding the new PU and Gasly will shine tomorrow
Gasly was having a lot of trouble in the first half of FP2, guess they didn't let him do a fast lap in the second half. But the race trim seemed to be very nice (0.6/0.7s behind Ver/Ham).

McMika98
McMika98

Once the track rubbers in the pace will come and as always rookies learning the track need to play safe considering the few experienced drivers, the likes of Sainz damaging the car. The car is kind on tyres, downside is it cant warm the tyres on green or cool conditions . Luckily its staying dry all weekend. The Saubers are looking good under Leclerc, was disappointed with the pace of Toro Rosso then again i had real high hopes. It seems the car aero is peaky, Hartley lost a lot of downforce following car around a corner and its had issues with windy conditions.