2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JonoNic

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

They took this long to fix the Boullier problem. Can Mclaren fix everything else quicker?
Always find the gap then use it.

Big Tea

so it looks like Gil de Ferran will be the fall guy, Erm replacement foe Eric

He was at B>A>R was he not?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

techman
techman

this was the right decision. he is the mouth piece that boasted all hype last year. raised unwanted expectation with mclaren employees that this year will be a succcess. but it did not turn out to be. now the mclaren team members are unhappy. obviously if they are unhappy with eric, then there would be no point him staying any longer. but the cure this problem they need a proper design team. but its the first step towards a better future for mclaren

Singabule
Singabule

Big Tea wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 12:27

Yeah, and maybe bring honda back in future. Hope so, as they already familiar with honda and merc layout

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

godlameroso

taperoo2k wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 12:06
RonDennis wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 11:49
Thunder wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 11:46

Ron Dennis didn't really see it coming as is played out as well. That's the thing when higher Powers are in play. :wink:
Yeah, you really have to watch out when people are saying that your job is safe.
That's usually code for "You have x time left to turn things around, or you'll be given your P45 forthwith".
We'll find out in the next month or so, if firing him will improve the technical side of the race team. I wouldn't expect a massive leap in performance, just McLaren starting to work through all of it's problems. It feels like there's been a bottleneck in the decision making process at McLaren that's hindered the team.
He isn't an engineer, his failure was a PR one.
Saishū kōnā

!Technical
!Technical

I was hoping they would announce Mika as Boullier's replacement. :P

Xero

Does appear as if he was asked to resign to help him keep some dignity. Not sure what to think about it, is he really to blame for the current performance of the car? Probably not, but he must have a hand in overseeing and signing off developments. Now a new structure has been set up, I expect a lot of staff changes going on underneath them. Probably a good time to do it, as changes are made before development on 2019 really kicks in.

Phil

Xero wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 13:42
Does appear as if he was asked to resign to help him keep some dignity. Not sure what to think about it, is he really to blame for the current performance of the car? Probably not, but he must have a hand in overseeing and signing off developments. Now a new structure has been set up, I expect a lot of staff changes going on underneath them. Probably a good time to do it, as changes are made before development on 2019 really kicks in.
I don't like Boullier. Never did. But to be fair, that doesn't mean he didn't do the right thing. The management structure McLaren uses makes it difficult to assess blame. Part of the failure IMO is due to failing leadership and direction. Perhaps Boullier would have been the right guy under the right management structure (e.g. in full control), but he couldn't show it. Either way, the team has been on a downward slope for too long and there's no light at the end of the tunnel - if you take how the season has been developing it looks even more bleak. Obviously, employees are not happy anymore, the environment has become toxic and this also limits their own ability to get out of this mess.

In that sense, firing Boullier is a step in the right direction. You need fresh blood, new people and to draw a line and focus on what lies ahead now. If only firing Boullier is enough or not, will be left to be seen.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

ispano6

Big Tea wrote:

Seeing that he was involved with Honda for many years and Alonso's mentor for Indy500 this is probably more a play for a prospective Indy season than Formula 1.

McG

Dunno man, I'm sceptical about everything McLaren do right now. Why this big change in the 1st year with Renault, surely the problem with their speed is settling in with the Renault engine?

I don't like EB but I think he's the fall guy in this. GdF? Wtf.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

Big Tea

I think Williams should jump at Bullier. He is not the cause of Mclarens problems, just the focus.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

RonDennis
RonDennis

ispano6 wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 13:57
Big Tea wrote:

Seeing that he was involved with Honda for many years and Alonso's mentor for Indy500 this is probably more a play for a prospective Indy season than Formula 1.
According to Joe Saward McLaren have axed their Indy car program. The focus is fully on F1, which seems like a good decision. I also feel that people should give Zak Brown a chance, I really don't know why he's hated so much. Changes take time in F1.

AJI
AJI

Big Tea wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 14:50
I think Williams should jump at Bullier....
To cement their position at the bottom?
Boulier was a disaster. This is the first real step in a full restructuring of the F1 team. Everything up until now has merely been a bandaid on a bandaid. Time to rip it off, take the pain, and rebuild.

RonDennis
RonDennis

McG wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 14:48
Dunno man, I'm sceptical about everything McLaren do right now. Why this big change in the 1st year with Renault, surely the problem with their speed is settling in with the Renault engine?

I don't like EB but I think he's the fall guy in this. GdF? Wtf.
The positive thing is that it can't get much worse. I'm also sure Alonso will stay for 2019, which is good news as well.