2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Alonso Fan

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

techman wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 02:39
1. Ferrari

2. Mercedes +0.1s/lap

3. Red Bull +0.5 s/lap

4. McLaren +1.2s/lap

5. Renault +1.3s/lap

6. Force India +1.4s/lap

7. Haas +1.5s/lap

8. Toro Rosso +1.7s/lap

9. Sauber +1.7s/lap

10. Williams +2.2s/lap
i dont know which long run pace is this but looking at fia.com for silverstone ,the mercedes long run is the best, mclaren about 6th renualt and haas ahead, only brendon did his long run and we know gasly is about a second faster in race pace from what i have seen before , so he should be around mclaren race pace when they fit the spec 2 engine tommorrow.
Genuine question. When you quote people why do you delete the name tag at the top?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

McG

makecry wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 02:04
McG wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 01:52
Ted68 wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 01:11

It is crystal clear. He is spending alot of time over here in Indy car circles while the F1 cars and team struggle for direction. There is no existing McLaren Indy team, officially, yet. Focus on righting the team that needs it before spending the enormous effort and cash flow that it takes to start a new team. How many small problems could have been dealt with with the time and resources spent at Indy in 2017/18?

Mansour Ojjeh has some deep pockets, true. But remember, his TAG brand was Williams title sponsor in the early-80s before pulling out and backing McLaren in the mid-80s. For those who don't recall how that went down, while still backing Williams, Ojjeh procured Porsche built engines for McLaren that carried the TAG moniker. Much as the TAG Heuer branded Renault sits in the back of Red Bull today.
Are you inferring that the Mclaren investors are about to pull out of McLaren?
They are owners. They can't just pull out of McLaren without selling the team lol. It's not like you are banging a girl and you can pull out whenever you want. :roll:
Exactly.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

zoroastar

subtracting the 2 worst laps, which were way off pace, alonso's average race pace was 1:34.3. it was 1:35.287 with all laps included.
MAG - 1:34.384
HAR - 1:35.512
RIC - 1:33.732

MAG did quite a few more laps and they didnt deviate much, so they may be a bit quicker in reality.
i dropped any crazy slow laps from everyone.

McMika98
McMika98

Miles behind Renault in race pace. About same as FI and behind Haas.

GrayGreat
GrayGreat

McMika98 wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 07:27
What fuel loads was Renault running? And Force India? And Haas? And McLaren?

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

techman wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 01:39
They lost the T wing, blown monkey seat, and have a rushed rear packaging job with the new engine. Why is it not possible to have less downforce at the rear than last year, given they evidently have traction issues?
its not only mclaren who lost those T wing, and other stuff. that car has so much drag, they can afford to put more wing due to more loss in straight line speed. believe me next year, they will come up some more excuses and engine integration excuses will be invalid then
There isn't an argument that they were the only one. Apparently, others were able to compensate better than they were. It's common knowledge that during a rule change, some teams do a better job than others. When traction control was re-introduced in the early 2000's Mclaren didn't quite get it right, so loosing those bits could have affected them more than others.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Chicane
Chicane

McMika98 wrote:
I followed live timing diligently every lap.

1] Alonso had to do two laps with zero deployment because of switching to a wrong map as evidenced by the radio conversations between him and his engineer.

2] Alonso was fighting with Leclerc for 2 or 3 laps during which his laps weren't representative.

3] If you take out these two out, Alonso's laps were in low 1 min 34's just like Hulkenberg's.

Clearly you have not bothered to even look in to the lap times and the circumstances and just chose to shoot from your hip.
Quickshifter

johnny vee

Thank you Chicane for the informative post.
I hope it will be a good race for Mclaren
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

McLaren seem to be running a high rake or running heavy fuel loads in Fp1. Lots of sparks out of Turn 1 (out of Abbey) yesterday compared to other cars. Purely a qualitative observarion

zoroastar

Chicane wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 09:39
McMika98 wrote:

1] Alonso had to do two laps with zero deployment because of switching to a wrong map as evidenced by the radio conversations between him and his engineer.

2] Alonso was fighting with Leclerc for 2 or 3 laps during which his laps weren't representative.

3] If you take out these two out, Alonso's laps were in low 1 min 34's just like Hulkenberg's.

Clearly you have not bothered to even look in to the lap times and the circumstances and just chose to shoot from your hip.
1:34.254 to be exact. and yea, very similar to HULK and slightly better than Sainz. unfortunately the word "technical" doesnt do anything to stop people from making up "facts" not based on reality.

diffuser

zeph wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 02:12
diffuser wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 18:34
zeph wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 07:12
I dunno. Zak Brown inherited a mess and has to clean house. Even though he came in as exec director in November 2016, he has been CEO only since last April.
Turning an operation like McLaren around takes time. I say wait and see what happens next year. I don’t know that Brown is responsible for this year’s misery.
Doesn't matter what we think or like he is the shareholders guy. He was appointed last year! Like it or not he isn't going anywhere soon. so stop moaning about it.
What? Moaning?

Did you even read what I wrote? I’m defending him.
Wasn't point specifically at you.

diffuser

bill shoe wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 02:33
diffuser wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 01:56
Long-run pace deficit (seconds per lap)

1. Ferrari

2. Mercedes +0.1s/lap

3. Red Bull +0.5 s/lap

4. McLaren +1.2s/lap

10. Williams +2.2s/lap
Without getting too detailed, how did you calculate or get this info? Does it apply to entire 2018 season, or Silverstone practice only, or what? Good stuff, that's why I'm asking.
F1 web page.https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/feat ... tain-.html

They don't talk about how they came up with it but for the first time in about 10 years they supplied us with some useful stats. Instead of the BS performance living timing (windows version) with the braking BS.
Last edited by diffuser on 07 Jul 2018, 11:01, edited 2 times in total.

kasio
kasio

Chicane wrote:
McMika98 wrote:

Alonso was a little bit faster in S2 an S3, but significantly slower in S2. this might point to bigger fuel load because of turn 1 nature.

McMika98
McMika98

Chicane wrote:

Nicos laptime is below 34 for at least 3 laps and low 34 unlike Alonso who is about low to mid 34. But obviously u ignore that for ure arguement.
About the fuel on cars who cares beacuse only each team would know how much they put in their car. No point speculating about it.

zoroastar

n_anirudh wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 10:27
McLaren seem to be running a high rake or running heavy fuel loads in Fp1. Lots of sparks out of Turn 1 (out of Abbey) yesterday compared to other cars. Purely a qualitative observarion
yea martin brundle made sure to point out how slow mclaren looked every time they passed him on track, even though they were obviously not on flying laps.

there is no telling, they are always running high rake, but they were testing new parts that may have been made out of something other than carbon fiber like last weekend. idk if that would add that much weight though. clearly in FP1 they werent focused on lap times.