2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
M840TR
M840TR

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

ALONSO: "If in the last years Hungary was a favorable circuit for our car, this year will be different because the performance of MCL33 does not vary much from circuit to circuit".

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

M840TR wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 14:02
ALONSO: "If in the last years Hungary was a favorable circuit for our car, this year will be different because the performance of MCL33 does not vary much from circuit to circuit".
Not encouraging at all... either they won't be able to bring through the updates, or they're not expecting much improvement with them.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

M840TR
M840TR

Ground Effect wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 14:26
M840TR wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 14:02
Not encouraging at all... either they won't be able to bring through the updates, or they're not expecting much improvement with them.
I mentioned it in the thread that he sounds downbeat. The track, like Monaco and Spain, should suit them regardless.

radosav
radosav

It’s going to be quite similar. We were in Canada, Paul Ricard, Austria and Silverstone more or less in exactly the same position with the same performance. The circuits were sometimes opposite like Canada and Silverstone, for example.

“So I don’t think we will see like other years a clear difference between a good circuit and a bad circuit. I think it’s going to be always very tight and it will be down to the new parts and the updates that you bring to that specific grand prix.”

However Alonso said the team is bringing a significant upgrade this weekend which could help it move up the order. “I know there’s a bigger package for Hungary so maybe that is the biggest help, more than the layout

radosav
radosav

Why people don't post whole article?????

M840TR
M840TR

Which article is this? I copied the quote from a source on twitter by the time it probably wasn't posted. Regardless, I mentioned countless times now that the track suits them and the upgrades will dictate their performance during the weekend and in the future; which still doesn't excuse what he basically said about the car being slow on every track.

mclaren111

Autosport:
How Red Bull followed McLaren's Formula 1 design lead
At the German Grand Prix, Red Bull followed a design path that was begun by McLaren and then followed by Renault and Ferrari, as it changed the concept of its floor slots.

Rather than utilising a series of angled slots ahead of the rear tyre (inset) the team added two longitudinal slots placed on the floor's edge (highlighted in yellow) to complement the four now fully enclosed holes ahead of the tyre.

The idea is that the airflow passing through these long slots energises the vortex that is being formed on the floor's edge, helping to seal it and create a sort of air skirt, improving the overall performance of floor and diffuser.

So many things from McLaren being copied but amazingly we can not make it work as a package and produce a decent car !!

PS. Meant to say it bodes well for future !!
Last edited by mclaren111 on 25 Jul 2018, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipM
PhillipM

That's the trick with F1 cars, parts in isolation mean nothing, everything has to work together.
It's like Williams bringing a front wing that adds no performance alone, but more consistant airflow to keep other parts of the car working.

radosav
radosav

M840TR wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 16:13
Which article is this? I copied the quote from a source on twitter by the time it probably wasn't posted. Regardless, I mentioned countless times now that the track suits them and the upgrades will dictate their performance during the weekend and in the future; which still doesn't excuse what he basically said about the car being slow on every track.
Google it. They brought upgrades here.

Xero

mclaren111 wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 16:17
So many things from McLaren being copied but amazingly we can not make it work as a package and produce a decent car !!
Makes you wonder if this car has some unlocked potential that the team can't get to. It's encouraging to see so many McLaren ideas being copied in the past couple of seasons, gives confidence that the current personnel maybe do have what it takes to lift the team back towards the front.

charliesmithhd

Could there be a single area/part which is bottlenecking performance?

Big Tea

Xero wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 16:22
mclaren111 wrote:
Makes you wonder if this car has some unlocked potential that the team can't get to. It's encouraging to see so many McLaren ideas being copied in the past couple of seasons, gives confidence that the current personnel maybe do have what it takes to lift the team back towards the front.
It has great potential. Thats what I have been banging the drum about, they are not starting from a known step.
If you are building a wall and someone passes you a hod of bricks, you build more quickly. If you are standing on an uneven step when they pass the hod, you totter and get nowhere. This is what is happening at Mclaren. Good stuff, but at the wrong time and place. Things coming out this week though are starting to look like they are coming to terms and are saying 'hang on, let me get my footing first'. They then have a large pile of bricks to hand and should catch up in notime
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

charliesmithhd

Big Tea wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 16:29
Xero wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 16:22
mclaren111 wrote:
It has great potential. Thats what I have been banging the drum about, they are not starting from a known step.
If you are building a wall and someone passes you a hod of bricks, you build more quickly. If you are standing on an uneven step when they pass the hod, you totter and get nowhere. This is what is happening at Mclaren. Good stuff, but at the wrong time and place. Things coming out this week though are starting to look like they are coming to terms and are saying 'hang on, let me get my footing first'. They then have a large pile of bricks to hand and should catch up in notime
It also will take a while to see the effects of the structural changes. Earlier in the season we heard that leadership prevented the staff from being ambitious. Hopefully soon this will change

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

charliesmithhd wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 16:28
Could there be a single area/part which is bottlenecking performance?
It seems like that. Almost all the teams copied them and even all the top ones so there must be something good there.

BrunoH
BrunoH

yeah, most likely its something internal.. the car still is one of the slowest in straight line so something is off, plus if we dont see it in qualy rain etc.. we will never know if its a chassis thing or aero thing... if in the rain they are very good like top 6 in qualy then for sure its something more aero than mechanical...