2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

F1NAC wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 15:35
OzanA wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 15:30
https://twitter.com/ToroRosso/status/10 ... 5448602625
What is happening?
According to Albert Fabrega, they(STR) are looking for compensation from McLaren. (Vandoorne or Norris)
They can have Vandoorne. He's no Alo, Ham(tier 1) . Still early but it looks like he headed to tier 2. Lend Norris to Renault and run the 2 Spaniards.

I am worried that ALO might be headed to Ferrari after the death of my fellow Canadian.

diffuser

Anyone know when he starts ?

M840TR
M840TR

diffuser wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 17:24
F1NAC wrote:
OzanA wrote:
What is happening?
According to Albert Fabrega, they(STR) are looking for compensation from McLaren. (Vandoorne or Norris)
They can have Vandoorne. He's no Alo, Ham(tier 1) . Still early but it looks like he headed to tier 2. Lend Norris to Renault and run the 2 Spaniards.

I am worried that ALO might be headed to Ferrari after the death of my fellow Canadian.
Would you say the same for Vettel? They have similar driving styles that require strong rear end stability for high corner entry speed. The mcl32 and 33 has none of that. He needs a good car first, then he'l prove his worth. I doubt they'l drop him anyway.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
F1NAC wrote:
OzanA wrote:
What is happening?

Italian-Canadian actually, (just kidding). But in that note, it was a real sad occurance and a tragic loss. Sergio was such a colourful, straight talking, larger than life character, with some characteristics of the great Enzo himself. Condolences to the loved ones...

But I still feel Ferrari is a bridge too far. Let Fernando stick around and help rebuild, like GhostF1 suggested had some appeal, a couple of posts back.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

HPD

diffuser wrote:
They can have Vandoorne.
Do you think Red Bull will accept an average driver?
Vandoorne is good, but very far from what Red Bull wants.
It's Norris or nothing
Mclaren must negotiate with Red Bull. TR does not exist, this is the problem.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

HPD wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 18:09
diffuser wrote:
They can have Vandoorne.
It's Norris or nothing
If I was in Zak Brown's position, I'd tell the shareholders to pay cash and keep their drivers. I still believe Stoffel and Lando are the future of Mclaren. Stoffel is very very talented, so I believe he'll come good.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 17:38
diffuser wrote:
F1NAC wrote:

Would you say the same for Vettel? They have similar driving styles that require strong rear end stability for high corner entry speed. The mcl32 and 33 has none of that. He needs a good car first, then he'l prove his worth. I doubt they'l drop him anyway.
I purposely left Vettel name out, he controversial.

diffuser

HPD wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 18:09
diffuser wrote:
They can have Vandoorne.
It's Norris or nothing

At some point if the guy says ...At STR I'm never gonna win and RBR I'm 3ird on the depth chart, if I'm lucky. I'm already 46 years old, please let me go where I have MORE of chance to win. My heart isn't in STR any more. (AKA, I'll build you the lousiest cars ever)

What are you gonna do?

Personally I think they should give them ZERO. Ultimately this always comes down to the contract and the Lawyers decide based on the content of the contract. You'd think Key would have built in a escape clause. Who knows.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

M840TR
M840TR

Alonso: "70%" of the recent work on car was focused on 2019 and it has only brought one proper upgrade so far in 2018.

McLaren now understands why its 2018 car is so compromised, but the fixes will take too long to implement so instead it will invest "70% of the knowledge and understanding of this car for next year's project".

"There are some fixes for this year, but let's say that 70% of the knowledge and the understanding of this car will be for next year's project, because it requires time – three or four months development and windtunnel time etc. that is probably better to invest for next year.

"Sometimes it's good to go very deep into the problems and down in performance to understand the car, so I see a much clearer and brighter future now with all the problems and understanding [gained].

"I think we have a clear direction now, so that's the most important thing."

"We have some updates into this race and we will concentrate in validating those as well, not only the normal understanding of the car," Alonso added.

"Also we need to test the performance and the gains of the last parts, so hopefully we see some better results."

"We had basically one upgrade this year, in Barcelona," Alonso said. "All the other races we brought small parts that were not significant performance.

"Some of those parts were experimental, some of those were negative not positive, so overall we only brought one update.

"We were between seventh and 10th in Australia at the beginning of the year, we came back from seventh to 10th in Barcelona, Monaco, and then we are going back, back.

"Hopefully this weekend will put us in this front part of this midfield group."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alon ... 64272/?s=1

Chicane
Chicane

Those quotes from Alonso clearly explain their season so far and their plans ahead. They now understand their problems and know how to fix them but the amount of resources and time needed would be better spent on next year's car. This quote "Sometimes it's good to go very deep into the problems and down in performance to understand the car, so I see a much clearer and brighter future now with all the problems and understanding [gained]'' is very heartening to read :)
Quickshifter

M840TR
M840TR

He said they understand the problems now but I think they still haven't come up with a solution, only narrowed down the area, so that's why it'l take 3-4 months of R&D. They probably will introduce it later in the season once they come to a final remedy.

Chicane
Chicane

M840TR wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 19:26
He said they understand the problems now but I think they still haven't come up with a solution, only narrowed down the area, so that's why it'l take 3-4 months of R&D. They probably will introduce it later in the season once they come to a final remedy.
I think this quote makes it clear that they know what exactly to do but they don't have the time and resources especially with wind tunnel and CFD restrictions to execute the solutions for this year.
but we get a lot of information on those Fridays and I think now we are in a point of we know exactly what to do.
Quickshifter

M840TR
M840TR

Chicane wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 19:45
M840TR wrote:
I think this quote makes it clear that they know what exactly to do but they don't have the time and resources especially with wind tunnel and CFD restrictions to execute the solutions for this year.
but we get a lot of information on those Fridays and I think now we are in a point of we know exactly what to do.
You won't need 4 months of R&D if you knew exactly what to do, strictly speaking. I think they narrowed down the problem and of course have rough ideas for the solution but there's no definite answer.

RonDennis
RonDennis

M840TR wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 19:55
Chicane wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 19:45
M840TR wrote:
You won't need 4 months of R&D if you knew exactly what to do, strictly speaking. I think they narrowed down the problem and of course have rough ideas for the solution but there's no definite answer.
Well, like it has been said before, this car is fundamentally flawed. This will probably mean that they need to switch to a new concept and that will take time.