2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

I'd love McLaren to be up there battling with the upper midfield in Melbourne, but even if they're behind Renault, Alfa Romeo, Haas, it wouldn't be a disaster. As long as they're close, I believe they can move up the order quickly.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

McMika98
McMika98

Mclaren were on average about a second slower than Sauber and Toro rosso on the long runs. Its testing but they were losing about 80% of time in S3 so must have been running low downforce setup which also explains the higher top speeds.

Chicane
Chicane

They are doing a filming day today.

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/10 ... 4649930752
Last edited by Chicane on 22 Feb 2019, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
Quickshifter

bauc

[-o< Nice choice for filming day. Sunny and the track is in perfect condition after 4 days of testing [-o<
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

McMika98 wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 09:46
Mclaren were on average about a second slower than Sauber and Toro rosso on the long runs. Its testing but they were losing about 80% of time in S3 so must have been running low downforce setup which also explains the higher top speeds.
Where did you get that McLaren was second slower on the long runs? Lando's run yesterday had him do 1:23s on C1 for 26 laps (last stint). TR/Sauber did not such stints. Their longer stints were on softer tires, Alfa wasn't matching 1:23s on neither C2 nor C3, while Toro Rosso was a bit faster using C3 and even then it was not much faster (avg of low 1:23s).

https://soymotor.com/articulos/analisis ... les-960646

Now, it's quite possible that there is a fuel difference but I do not see how you can make such a strong statement when the data does not point in that direction.

Xero

McMika98 wrote:
That stint on the C1s suggests you should disregard all of McLarens long runs as a measure of pace. If you're taking it at face value and tyre corrected, they are ahead of the midfield. We should be cautious making any predictions.

The slower S3 doesn't suggest a low downforce setup, but stiffer suspension, which sacrifices slow speed grip and traction for a more stable and predictable aero platform. It's been a trait for McLaren for many years now. S3 is all about mechanical grip.

McMika98
McMika98

Xero wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 12:42
McMika98 wrote:
That stint on the C1s suggests you should disregard all of McLarens long runs as a measure of pace. If you're taking it at face value and tyre corrected, they are ahead of the midfield. We should be cautious making any predictions.

The slower S3 doesn't suggest a low downforce setup, but stiffer suspension, which sacrifices slow speed grip and traction for a more stable and predictable aero platform. It's been a trait for McLaren for many years now. S3 is all about mechanical grip.
How do u explain the fact that Mclaren for past few years always had the best S3 times compared to competiton with the same stiff suspension?
The pace drop off after few laps is alarming, compare Albons lap to Lando on same tyre. Albon had a much longer stint so was probably fully loaded with fuel.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

McMika98 wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 12:50
How do u explain the fact that Mclaren for past few years always had the best S3 times compared to competiton with the same stiff suspension?
The pace drop off after few laps is alarming, compare Albons lap to Lando on same tyre. Albon had a much longer stint so was probably fully loaded with fuel.
You are looking way too much into those stints. We do not know if Lando used old tires, did he make a mistake by pushing too hard on first few laps or if they changed his engine mode.

Pace drop off was not that much diferent between teams. I know we can cherry pick, but look at Day 3 and Toro Rosso running on C2, their stint started in 1:24s and ended in 1:27s.

Look at the following stint - https://imgur.com/a/21Mngrj

Xero

McMika98 wrote:
They were slow in S3 last year too, the rear of the car was all over the place. The year before that they did have much better mechanical grip, they built a really decent chassis that year, hence the better times. I can agree with what you allude to though, McLaren can afford to slap on more downforce than they currently have. You have to look back to the Mercedes days since they could afford the luxury, gives them good scope this season, a proper solid base to build upon.

McMika98 wrote:
If you take the last long run there was zero drop off over 26 laps, with really competitive times. Before that run, yes, the pace could have been seen as concerning. Factor in setup work and building an understanding of the car, it's improving all the time. Let's not be too haste to judge.

charliesmithhd

Will there be a wet simulation day, I remember before they had trucks spraying water on the track

bauc

charliesmithhd wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 14:53
Will there be a wet simulation day, I remember before they had trucks spraying water on the track
I think its moved now to the one of the Pireli test days that the teams are doing but I'm not sure on this
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

M840TR
M840TR

McLaren Racing confirms start date for James Key

An agreement has been made to settle the position

McLaren Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso confirm they have reached an agreement to settle the position of Mr James Key, who will be released by Scuderia Toro Rosso prior to the end of his existing contract arrangement on 23 March 2019.

James will begin his role as Technical Director, McLaren F1, on 25 March 2019.
https://www.mclaren.com/formula1/team/m ... james-key/

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Did Carlos and Lando use DRS during their long runs?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

charliesmithhd

Ground Effect wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 17:16
every time I saw the car they didn't use drs, also Lando's speed traps were a bit slower than others' fastest which suggests they didn't use drs

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

charliesmithhd wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 17:25
Ground Effect wrote:
22 Feb 2019, 17:16
every time I saw the car they didn't use drs, also Lando's speed traps were a bit slower than others' fastest which suggests they didn't use drs
Thanks, other teams like STR did use on their long runs, right?