2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Both Mclaren and some of their fans have accepted this aproach in which they are happy just to made progress, just to be a solid midfield team.
I really dont understand this, and i know things dont just happen overnight, but i WILL NOT be happy until Mclaren is where it belongs. TOP.
Mclaren is not Williams.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

GoranF1 wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 14:18
Both Mclaren and some of their fans have accepted this aproach in which they are happy just to made progress, just to be a solid midfield team.
I really dont understand this, and i know things dont just happen overnight, but i WILL NOT be happy until Mclaren is where it belongs. TOP.
Mclaren is not Williams.
I don't think it's about being satisfied with being a solid midfield team, it's about accepting that getting back to the top is not going to be easy and it will take time. While McLaren was going backwards, others were going forward. I don't want to call it an uphill task, but it's a long road ahead. Zak Brown has come up with a 5 year plan, fans have to accept that plan and just hope and anticipate steady and logical progress.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mclaren111

GoranF1 wrote:
Mclaren is not Williams.

I'm not happy with just making progress... I pray every day we can "jump" to the top... Reality seems in today's F1 that is very difficult... I'm still hoping for podiums this year & winning next year again...

charliesmithhd

godlameroso wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 12:33
If that figure came from someone using pirelli's figure for theoretical best lap, toss it in the trash. That figure says nothing.

The middle of the car has been free to develop since 2017, I've made a big deal about it ever since, and still think that's the area to focus on. The bargeboards contribute to 1/4th of the total downforce of these cars.

McLaren has the right idea, they maximized the surface area, and the boomerang wing has a lot of potential. It just needs development, all teams that have developed the bargeboards have found chunks of time.

Force India, Red Bull, Ferrari, Alpha Romeo, and Mercedes all kept finding chunks of time with each bargeboard upgrade.
Bargdeboards look developed, but not as many turning vanes just behind the bardge board compared to others including Renault

McL-H
McL-H

GoranF1 wrote:
Mclaren is not Williams.
I agree with you and don’t understand how the team and fans can accept this approach. Ron would never have been satisfied with being a midfield team.

I accept nothing less than structural podium finishes.

KingHamilton01

GoranF1 wrote:
Mclaren is not Williams.
Unfortunately to many bad decisions have been made through a number of season's now and this goes back to when Whitmarsh was here and then it has continued. Now I feel McLaren are paying for mistakes and having to restructure a team and rebuild there enthusiasm and motivation at the same time cannot be underestimated. Still a lot to be seen at McLaren with Key coming into the team and how he will settle in and how much of immediate impact he can have on car development.

You have to look at the position they are coming from and for me I believe the team has to be looking at 2021 when next major rule and design changes come in, but then the other part to that is do McLaren need to look at there engine situation? Pains me to see Honda now coming towards the front of the grid and we still need a works engine surely? I remember seeing John watson quote it could be 10 years until we see a competitive McLaren again I was adamant that he was wrong but over time realised that he was right and come 2021 that will be roughly that amount of time passed.

Nothing to suggest McLaren will return to the front in 2021 but for now we have to accept whatever progress McLaren make, now I just want them to knuckle down and give these new guys Seidl and Key etc make there mark on the team.
McLaren Mercedes

McG

McL-H wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 15:02
GoranF1 wrote:
Mclaren is not Williams.
I agree with you and don’t understand how the team and fans can accept this approach. Ron would never have been satisfied with being a midfield team.

I accept nothing less than structural podium finishes.

Let me welcome you to reality.

Hi it's cold and dark out here. Stay for a while. McLaren aren't here to give you instant gratification.

Oh there they go running back into the warm fluffy comfy world of delusion and ignorance.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

diffuser

They belong where the car takes them. No more no less.

Hopefully they can put a car together that can challenge. Zak has given himself 5 years to do that. Then, he and McLaren, will re-evaluate.
His end game is to have the team where it needs to be coming out of the 2020 season and entering 2021. That pretty much gives Keys this year to evaluate his engineers, reorg and tell Zak what he needs.

No guarantees.

godlameroso

charliesmithhd wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 15:00
godlameroso wrote:
If that figure came from someone using pirelli's figure for theoretical best lap, toss it in the trash. That figure says nothing.

The middle of the car has been free to develop since 2017, I've made a big deal about it ever since, and still think that's the area to focus on. The bargeboards contribute to 1/4th of the total downforce of these cars.

McLaren has the right idea, they maximized the surface area, and the boomerang wing has a lot of potential. It just needs development, all teams that have developed the bargeboards have found chunks of time.

Force India, Red Bull, Ferrari, Alpha Romeo, and Mercedes all kept finding chunks of time with each bargeboard upgrade.
Bargdeboards look developed, but not as many turning vanes just behind the bardge board compared to others including Renault
Red Bull doesn't have any turning vanes behind the bargeboard. They have a T-tray extension that both creates a vortex, and channels air under the floor. McLaren had a very good extension in 2017, but didn't work with their 2018 aero concept.

Look at the inboard footplate of the bargeboard. All those slots are for sending air under the car. A greater mass flow increases the effect of the floor on downforce.

McLaren has a lot of potential in this chassis, and by developing the bargeboards they'll unlock all that performance.
Saishū kōnā

McG

KingHamilton01 wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 15:19
GoranF1 wrote:
Mclaren is not Williams.
Unfortunately to many bad decisions have been made through a number of season's now and this goes back to when Whitmarsh was here and then it has continued. Now I feel McLaren are paying for mistakes and having to restructure a team and rebuild there enthusiasm and motivation at the same time cannot be underestimated. Still a lot to be seen at McLaren with Key coming into the team and how he will settle in and how much of immediate impact he can have on car development.

You have to look at the position they are coming from and for me I believe the team has to be looking at 2021 when next major rule and design changes come in, but then the other part to that is do McLaren need to look at there engine situation? Pains me to see Honda now coming towards the front of the grid and we still need a works engine surely? I remember seeing John watson quote it could be 10 years until we see a competitive McLaren again I was adamant that he was wrong but over time realised that he was right and come 2021 that will be roughly that amount of time passed.

Nothing to suggest McLaren will return to the front in 2021 but for now we have to accept whatever progress McLaren make, now I just want them to knuckle down and give these new guys Seidl and Key etc make there mark on the team.
It wasn't just John Watson saying 10 years, Zak Brown himself said it.

And that's a bold prediction saying Honda are getting closer to the front. Or to be more accurate it's unfounded speculation. Last year with STR was terrible and we haven't even seen a race this year yet.

Finally, there's nothing to suggest anything about 2021 so the negativity you're laying on McLaren doesn't make sense.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

godlameroso

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... y3B3A.html

So it's official now, Key starts in March 25th.
Saishū kōnā

charliesmithhd

godlameroso wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 15:49
charliesmithhd wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 15:00
godlameroso wrote:

Red Bull doesn't have any turning vanes behind the bargeboard. They have a T-tray extension that both creates a vortex, and channels air under the floor. McLaren had a very good extension in 2017, but didn't work with their 2018 aero concept.

Look at the inboard footplate of the bargeboard. All those slots are for sending air under the car. A greater mass flow increases the effect of the floor on downforce.

McLaren has a lot of potential in this chassis, and by developing the bargeboards they'll unlock all that performance.
Im talking about this area Image

godlameroso

So you should have called them by their proper name, ie side pod end-plates, or side pod deflectors.
Saishū kōnā

Mansell89
Mansell89

I don’t think anyone at McLaren has accepted being a midfield team. What they have accepted is that they have led themselves down the wrong path since 2013 and that to get back on the right course takes time, resources, and patience.

I’d love nothing more than them to find the silver bullet to fire themselves into the title race, but F1 isn’t that simple all the time.

You wanna talk about midfield teams then you need to talk about Haas, Alfa Romeo, Racing Point, Toro Rosso. Their close synergies with Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull essentially makes the midfield ferociously more competitive than it was, so the likes of a Williams and McLaren don’t just drop from contenders to say, 4th- they drop much further back when they get it wrong because of these ‘B’ teams.

I think Ron Dennis got it right with Honda but jumped into bed with them two years too early. I initially had doubts about Zak but he has gutted the company of the people I felt were part of the old problem.

James Key is a generational talent and the biggest signing in F1 in ten years. I honestly believe this will be proven in time.

I think McLaren are looking more and more better placed for the future- the only final thing is a major partner to plough in the sort of money to get close to RBR, Merc, and Ferrari.

proteus

KingHamilton01 wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 15:19
GoranF1 wrote:
Mclaren is not Williams.

Until they dont get their own B-team, they wont be infront ever again. The current rules are literally killing the privateers, while manufacturers have bought out majority of the field which gives them massive technical/testing advantage and also voting rights - which enables them to shape the rules into their favour.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows