McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Marc.W

Re: McLaren MCL35

Wasnt POU pictured on the filming day?

Mattchu

The shot shows how complicated the leading edge of the floors/bargeboards are on these cars, unreal really! [right click -> view image for bigger]

And McLaren really do have a lovely undercut.

Xero

Bernie's Mistress wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 18:26
I do wonder whether the slow speed corner weakness is less attributable to the lack of POU suspension but comes back to the positioning of the side pods relative to the front axle. Slow speed corners require greater steering angle which in turn makes the side pod positioning more critical.
I think that's the main reason. Their issues with the front end seemed to appear through prolonged corners (think back to Spain, China), which suggests front tyre wake affecting performance of the barge-boards with heavy steering. They made a huge step forward from the MCL33, but I remember reading recent quotes that it's still a key area that needs improved upon.

McLaren used POU for the majority of last season though (I think it was France they introduced it?), and it looks present on some of the filming day shots we've seen so far.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Xero wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 21:19
Bernie's Mistress wrote:
I do wonder whether the slow speed corner weakness is less attributable to the lack of POU suspension but comes back to the positioning of the side pods relative to the front axle. Slow speed corners require greater steering angle which in turn makes the side pod positioning more critical.
I think that's the main reason. Their issues with the front end seemed to appear through prolonged corners (think back to Spain, China), which suggests front tyre wake affecting performance of the barge-boards with heavy steering. They made a huge step forward from the MCL33, but I remember reading recent quotes that it's still a key area that needs improved upon.

McLaren used POU for the majority of last season though (I think it was France they introduced it?), and it looks present on some of the filming day shots we've seen so far.
I thought Macca trialed the extreme POU last year but didn’t race it, but I am often wrong!

Tyre wake at yaw is always a problem, even more so with the new front wings and the bargeboards are used/designed to control this, but obviously they can’t eliminate it altogether. Running slimmer Sidepods will also help as the main airstream is brought more inboard so further away from the wake. Whether or not this is emphasised more or less at low speed I wouldn’t know but McLaren obviously lacked here slightly compared to big 3 and hopefully have made some big gains, but then looking at some of the other cars so have they too

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

the EDGE wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 21:29
Xero wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 21:19
Bernie's Mistress wrote:

I thought Macca trialed the extreme POU last year but didn’t race it, but I am often wrong!

Tyre wake at yaw is always a problem, even more so with the new front wings and the bargeboards are used/designed to control this, but obviously they can’t eliminate it altogether. Running slimmer Sidepods will also help as the main airstream is brought more inboard so further away from the wake. Whether or not this is emphasised more or less at low speed I wouldn’t know but McLaren obviously lacked here slightly compared to big 3 and hopefully have made some big gains, but then looking at some of the other cars so have they too
I think you’re right, I’m not sure it was raced, but definitely trialed
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Emag
Emag

It was tested in France, but I don't think it was raced.

PhillipM
PhillipM

It was raced.

Xero

It was definitely raced, only tested in France though, then raced from Austria onwards. I remember it disappeared for one weekend though, Spa possibly?

Edit: At Spa Sainz raced it, but Norris didn't.

diffuser

Emag wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 22:16
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/amp ... of-car.jpg

It was tested in France, but I don't think it was raced.

For a second that looked like a camera on the suspension arm ....

Lucky
Lucky

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

rccrdc
rccrdc

T wings appear

BosF1
BosF1

Is it a beam wing? Is it a monkey seat? No, it's a double T-wing! ;)

Thunder

Ok please no Live timings in the Car Thread. Post has been moved to the Team Thread.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Morteza

Via @piusgasso
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare