Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: Mercedes W11

Zynerji wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 01:12
Changing the angles like that would be movable aerodynamics, as the steering arm would move in the airstream...
The steering arm already moves in the airstream. It would also still move with your hydraulic setup pushing it outwards.

Zynerji

PhillipM wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 01:14
Zynerji wrote:
Changing the angles like that would be movable aerodynamics, as the steering arm would move in the airstream...
The steering arm already moves in the airstream. It would also still move with your hydraulic setup pushing it outwards.
I still don't think we've seen the actual methodology explained. Here's to hoping it gets fully exposed so we're can all marvel over the mechanical genius of F1.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

PhillipM wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 01:14
Zynerji wrote:
By the way, FIA has already approved it. It's here to stay.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Holm86 wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 20:05
michl420 wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 20:02
I have a Question. What is the benefit of the system, more top speed or more tyre temperatur?
That's the debate, I think it's for top speed
I think it's for driver comfort. I think they've made a pointy car and this system allows the drivers to rest on the straights. Otherwise they'd be constantly on the steering at 200mph on the straights.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Chene_Mostert wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 22:01
dans79 wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 21:57
Chene_Mostert wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 21:44
extending or contracting steering arms in same direction, independent of pinion rotation, causing the wheels to rotate in opposite direction to each other is not steering. that is toe adjustment.
https://www.racefans.net/2020/02/20/fia ... -be-legal/
The legality has not been tested as yet. so far opinion and "monitoring"
hence James having to put out the "confident" "positive" promo clips telling all its steering....
But steering means change of direction?
No. Steering means control of direction. The steering is used to both change direction and prevent direction change.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

I think changing the toe of the front wheels is not steering, because the driver can't really control the car with it. It's just an attribute like let's say tire pressure.

apexcontrol
apexcontrol

so they now change ride hight, without braking or stepping it up the gaspeddel.

move such a large part, means replacing few kilo's and not from left to right, but for aft to forward.

so why not use this systeem to move even larger amound of kilos around, .....

there are so many ways this systeem is pure abuse of regulation.

using a counterweight manually, sure there some things about it that you can say is legal, and saying this legal stuff is the only thing it ment to do, makes it legal right ?

to many ''side'' effects that are totally not legal.

sure changing tow might be legal, if you dont have other befits beside it.

why not make alot of other things you can move, and have al sorts of good side effects.

s duct 2.0
changing aerodynamic's around the wheels. changing extreme large amount of airflow.changing weight distribution. changing ride height. you're literately changing almost everything you can change.

and not while steering left or right, but on a straight.

so we are steering now but we do not change direction of the car, but lots of other things.

lets use the brakepedal to change riders height and make airflow with helmet to kill the rear on the straight.
and then go up again and change it back. and while you do this you also shift weight from front to back.
but also on a straight while not braking

and here is duct 3.0...and its not about other benefits. its about the riders can brake better depending on situation.

bending the rules is much like bending the wings, its happens naturally sure.....when to much bending is going on, its not with in the rules anymore.

merc idea very good. but is sure not gonna stick. because it will open a grayzone never seen before
Last edited by apexcontrol on 21 Feb 2020, 04:45, edited 6 times in total.

pierrre
pierrre

here is some idea of why, maybe, they are calling it dual axis...a split rack possibly?

OO7
OO7

W10 Mexico 2019:

W11 Barcelona Test Day 2:

Zynerji

pierrre wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 04:10
here is some idea of why, maybe, they are calling it dual axis...a split rack possibly?

I think there is a devil in the detail that wouldn't allow this video to work... the changeover would be a click, not a slide, or both would be engaged. I still think that a single rack that is hydraulically collapsible like a lifter in a pushrod engine would be far simpler.

PlatinumZealot

PhillipM wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 23:56
That's a lot of packaging to get in the rack bar/cylinder (which already has the hydraulics for the steering built into it, the steering ram is integral to the rack bar on these) and you'd have to run two seperate cylinders both master and slave to stop it just steering rather than altering both - and I suspect the FIA would take a dim view of it because there's no way it could failsafe - you'd end up with a wheel flapping about with a leak.
You can do it, but I don't see why, given the tiny amount of adjustment you need, you wouldn't just make the rack mount bolts into larger dowels with a sleeve bearing and slide the thing forwards 10-20mm.

The easiest way is to move the entire rack forward as said before.. Because the rack moves in a perpendicular axis to the steering motion.

With extending rack ends it a bit tricky because they are in the same axis of motion as the steering rack.

But still I just don't think they are moving the steering rack as seasy as it may be to implement..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

pierrre wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 04:10

I like your way of thinking. You have gone much further than me on this concept!
It is not easy to think with gears! Very good.

You can use the VANOS sliding helical gears with a sleeve gear. To finish your concept.
The sleeve gears goes to the racks.

Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 21 Feb 2020, 05:26, edited 1 time in total.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Sierra117

GPR-A wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 04:26

Can't someone immediately take a sponsorship deal with Mercedes to put their logo on the halo? The most visible part of the car in this testing due to the focus for onboard videos. So much advertising potential to be realized.
Doesn't INEOS have theirs already? Only the middle bit is left. I'd love to plaster my logo there but as 2Fast 2Furious wisdom goes, I'll need "deep pockets" :mrgreen:
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

zibby43
zibby43

OO7 wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 04:32
W10 Mexico 2019:
https://i.imgur.com/uIbLK3Z.jpg

W11 Barcelona Test Day 2:
https://i.imgur.com/f6ae2sZ.jpg
Great eye bud. You've got a knack for finding fantastic comparison shots. =D>