Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
supermarine
supermarine

Re: Mercedes W11

dren wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 18:44
supermarine wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 18:16
4) There is the possibility of ride-height change, but I think this would get dodgy with the rules. Still if Merc are doing this I would think it must mean the system is power assisted because it would otherwise be very difficult for the driver to fight aero loads and raise the nose at high speed. Thinking about it though, I suppose there is nothing to stop the system being power-assisted in the rules.
I think this is exactly why they are doing this. It is already legal to change the front tire toe angle with the steering wheel and have the front of the car drop due to suspension geometry. It was legal all last season for Mercedes. Now, they are changing the front tire toe angle with the steering wheel and the front lifts based on suspension geometry.

Manually manipulate steering wheel - two wheel toe angle change - change direction of the car (steer car) - lowers front wing

Manually manipulate steering wheel - two wheel toe angle change - ??? - car lifts front wing

This is where I see there possibly being an issue. The aero benefit when turning is a byproduct of the suspension geometry and maneuvering the car through corners. The aero benefit down the straight by manipulating the steering wheel could be the primary benefit. Mercedes will have to argue the primary benefit is tire wear related.
Surely the ride height adjustment on the front will be tiny though?
Does anyone have any info on how toe interacts with camber, caster and POU to change ride height?

michl420
michl420

I have a Question. What is the benefit of the system, more top speed or more tyre temperatur?

Holm86

michl420 wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 20:02
I have a Question. What is the benefit of the system, more top speed or more tyre temperatur?
That's the debate, I think it's for top speed

PhillipM
PhillipM

Both

LM10
LM10

michl420 wrote:
More top speed, less rolling resistance, less tyre temperature, less tyre wear and possibly increase of ride height.

Piraxian
Piraxian

Duct Activation System?

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

seems reasonable.

i think we'll see most of the teams have this system certainly after the summer break.
perhaps Ferrari and RedBull will implement it by the start of the european season, i agree that it's gonna be hard to make this illegal, and i think it will show a benefit regarding both tire wear and straight line speed, even if it's minimal, it'll make a whole lot of difference in margins for qualifying at the very least.

i don't know what to think about it but i'm sure it's no safety issue.

That said, i can't help but remember seeing some steering position movement from some team before.
Could even be Mercedes, who knows.
But i have forgotten what that was about. I know that same discussion has been about Senna's steering column in certain discussions about what caused his death, but that is not the discussion, i'm certain i have seen some form of steering 'play' in post 2006 cars, i think even post 2009, but after that i'm not sure at all.

Anyway, the gimmick probably will be why the team was smiling so vigerously. It would be a huge benefit then if they're so confidently smiling i guess.

Reminds me of Mclaren's F-duct, actually.

I'd love to see this DAS-system, paired with the S-duct, F-duct, blown double diffusers, blown wheel hubs, Mercedes' former suspension link system, oil burning, and flexi wings, and see the difference between a car without all those features just to see the benefit from those systems.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

FrukostScones

Delusional Active Suspension.
or
blekking virka fjöðrun

serious: this is only legal like DDiffuser was legal.
And I think we all agreed that DD was actually illegal.
Last edited by FrukostScones on 20 Feb 2020, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

michl420 wrote:
higher top speed due to straighter wheel angles and thus less friction/drag,
less tire wear due to lesser strain on the tires during straight driving,
and even better aerodynamic flow during high speeds.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

michl420
michl420

LM10 wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 20:10
michl420 wrote:
More top speed, less rolling resistance, less tyre temperature, less tyre wear and possibly increase of ride height.
But are the front tires not on the cold side, especially after a long straight?

Big Tea

I think FIA will find a way to bomb it. As much as I like it, will it add to the 'spectacle' of the race? By the start of the European races it will be on every car and will have cost a lot of money for no benefit (as they will all have it)

For a few races Merc will have an advantage, for a few races after these who get it installed quickest will have an advantage over those who do not, but all in all, lots of extra money for no gain and making no difference at all to the game. Ban it once Merc (or anyone else who has it from day one) have had what benefit wil be realistic, but it is worthless to F1
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

turbof1

Big Tea wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 20:27
I think FIA will find a way to bomb it. As much as I like it, will it add to the 'spectacle' of the race? By the start of the European races it will be on every car and will have cost a lot of money for no benefit (as they will all have it)

For a few races Merc will have an advantage, for a few races after these who get it installed quickest will have an advantage over those who do not, but all in all, lots of extra money for no gain and making no difference at all to the game. Ban it once Merc (or anyone else who has it from day one) have had what benefit wil be realistic, but it is worthless to F1
Well...

https://www.racefans.net/2020/02/20/fia ... -be-legal/
#AeroFrodo

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Big Tea

turbof1 wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 20:30
Big Tea wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 20:27

Well...

https://www.racefans.net/2020/02/20/fia ... -be-legal/
Not disputing the legality of it just the need of it. There is a big move to controlling costs in areas spectators can not identify, surely this is one?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Mattchu

What an absolutely fantastic innovation by Mercedes...my personal take is that it will not be allowed to stay on the car but Mercedes now have most of the other teams spending time looking at this system, thus taking time away from other things they could be doing.
Judging from what I`ve seen Merc don`t need this anyway, their car looks stable as a rock at the moment even when the`re not using this DAS.

The rear suspension setup is [imo] going to bring much more in the way of laptime/downforce, the good thing about this DAS system is that it brings F1 into the spotlight in a big way which can only be a good thing.

Popcorn out on this one though, non Mercedes teams/fans are going to be screaming for it to be banned!